Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

Having gone back to the original  article. The Railway offences would definitely have carried the most serious sentence, which I think carries life.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Having gone back to the original  article. The Railway offences would definitely have carried the most serious sentence, which I think carries life.

Shouldn't there be very large inverted commas round the word "life" when talking about a judicial sentence ........ nobody actually gets locked up for life nowadays, whatever they've done ! ( and they seem to get spat back out into society after a couple of years anyway )

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Shouldn't there be very large inverted commas round the word "life" when talking about a judicial sentence ........ nobody actually gets locked up for life nowadays, whatever they've done ! ( and they seem to get spat back out into society after a couple of years anyway )

A surprising number are now serving what is known as a whole life tarrif and will only leave in a box. 

Back to railways, quite a while ago two idiots got agrieved with the Ratty for some reason and dumped a bag of track spikes between the rails. They then gotbon a yacht and sailed down the coast.  They were arrested at Millom and werecrather surprised to appear at Carlisle Crown Court charged with endangering  life on the railway. They drew a few years each. Fortunately the next train up the line was able to stop in time.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A surprising number are now serving what is known as a whole life tarrif and will only leave in a box. 

Surprisingly large or surprisingly small?  I get the feeling that whatever the number I won't be particularly surprised...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Titan said:

Surprisingly large or surprisingly small?  I get the feeling that whatever the number I won't be particularly surprised...

75 or so against over 8500 serving life (figures from a Google serach, 2017/8). Looking at the Wiki page I doubt any of the charges above would qualify for a whole life tariff, it's very specific and only for some types of murder.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Are we wandering a little off topic? I only ask because the title is Level Crossing Stupidity, and we seem to have got into the realms of automatic gearboxes and opinions on how they behave.

• Agree 5

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Maybe I can get away with another US level crossing incident in amongst gearboxgate?

Why not? The thread is about level crossing stupidity, no nationality is specified in the thread title!

• Agree 1

But it is in the section of the forum "UK Prototype Discussions (not questions)", though I agree it would be better in a general section so we could post any country... Though looking back through the thread it's location of the forum hasn't stopped anyone before!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To keep as many people happy as possible, what we really need is a level crossing incident caused by an automatic gearbox failure................................

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

To keep as many people happy as possible, what we really need is a level crossing incident caused by an automatic gearbox failure................................

......perpetrated by a convicted murderer who was released early.....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Only allowed if the trampoline is certified as 'stupid' and happens to be on a level crossing when the train collides with it.

You could start a 'Train Bounces off Trampoline'  thread I s'pose !!?!

Maybe that's where this one is going? 

Andi

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...