Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Ashland is famous for incidents with trains and he could easily have taken first prize, if a train had come.

They aren't normally particularly slow at that crossing probably 40-50mph is typical

35 mph limit thro Ashland. (or at least it is for the loco - it can speed up once it clears town limits.)

But even at 35mph, a 10000 feet long train doesn't stop that quickly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

35 mph limit thro Ashland. (or at least it is for the loco - it can speed up once it clears town limits.)

They seem quite fast compared to some US trains, especially the non stopping Amtrak services.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

I just timed part of a train on replay.

It contained a load of 85' flat cars for waste containers and by rough calculation it worked out at 38mph!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I just timed part of a train on replay.

It contained a load of 85' flat cars for waste containers and by rough calculation it worked out at 38mph!

Maybe the US mph is faster than the UK mph.....?

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 6

2 minutes ago, bimble said:

set the loco's speedo with worn wheels then stick a new set on... but the speedo says I'm doing 35mph... :angel:

Not railway or LC related, but that's what happens to a lot of trucks in Oz, to fool the 100km/h speed limiter. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Should it take longer than any other train if it's continuously braked (and I find it hard to imagine it wouldn't be)? I suppose it'll take a while to get the brake to respond along that length of train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Should it take longer than any other train if it's continuously braked (and I find it hard to imagine it wouldn't be)? I suppose it'll take a while to get the brake to respond along that length of train.

Like this one from 2018?

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It takes a while for the brake application to make its way along the train- hence the use of Electro-Pneumatic and similar systems. A former colleague had been a commissioning driver on the Sishen iron-ore line in South Africa, where trains were several kilometres long; he said that he'd be releasing the brake at the front, before the previous application had worked its way through to the last wagon. It was not unknown for inexperienced drivers to 'snatch' the couplings; they carried a trail bike on the lead loco for train inspections, and actually replaced damaged couplings using a helicopter.

To give some idea of the relative efficacy of EP and normal brakes, our trains at Eurotunnel normally run at 140 kph in the tunnel. If the EP has to be isolated, this immediately drops to 100; furthermore, the driver has to run at half the indicated speed when on other tracks. It can spoil an otherwise perfect day....

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It's for this reason that most trains in the US of this length will have locos in the middle and/or end of the train (referred to as DPUs - Distributed Power Units). Not only does this reduce the strain on the couplings at the front of the train, it also means brake applications can be started at the middle and the end of the train simultaneously. These DPUs are managed from the front via wireless control. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RFS said:

It's for this reason that most trains in the US of this length will have locos in the middle and/or end of the train (referred to as DPUs - Distributed Power Units). Not only does this reduce the strain on the couplings at the front of the train, it also means brake applications can be started at the middle and the end of the train simultaneously. These DPUs are managed from the front via wireless control. 

Normal 'EP' brakes require electrical wiring as well as the train air brakes; what has been tried is a system for actuating isolated EP-fitted vehicles throughout the train, using radio signals. It was been trialled 20+ years ago; I'm not sure how widely, if at all, it is used now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unfortunately the CCTV didn't show where the couple were when they thought the lights weren't working ...................... must admit the Network Rail guy dismissing their claim as just a trick of the light was a little worrying  -  it was a right-side trick of the light in this instance but could be a wrong-side one next time !

Nice shot of a minimalist HST 'set' !

It seemed to be the MOM was more suggesting a possible explanation rather than dismissing their claim; After all, trains were cautioned (causing delay and costing NR money) for two hours, until both the LC equipment had been interrogated and confirmed to be working normally, and the train CCTV pictures checked, on the say-so of the couple, who simply seemed not to know how AHB LCs operate. Not their fault of course, although their comment 'we could have been killed' was a bit OTT, considering that they had parked their car before the train passed ! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, melmerby said:

The road through the crossing wasn't totally blocked to him, traffic had been using it like that for a few days previously.

Exactly how wide the access was we'll never know.

It looked to me as if he was going straight across and for some reason at the last minute decided not to.

Maybe he thought his trailers would not get through without striking something?

However what he did on a level crossing was IMHO utter stupidity, after the attempted U-turn the two trailers looked like they were corner to corner and were not going anywhere like that.

Ashland is famous for incidents with trains and he could easily have taken first prize, if a train had come.

They aren't normally particularly slow at that crossing probably 40-50mph is typical

The roadworks at Ashland have been going on for at least two weeks with cars lorries vans etc passing easily  so this driver was a total idiot

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

The roadworks at Ashland have been going on for at least two weeks with cars lorries vans etc passing easily  so this driver was a total idiot

With the regular school bus runs passing unhindered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Like this one from 2018?

That looks nasty, any casualties? It looks as though the car drivers exit may have been blocked by another vehicle hence the blowing of the car horn. Of course the driver should have made sure that his exit was clear before driving onto the crossing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bimble said:

set the loco's speedo with worn wheels then stick a new set on... but the speedo says I'm doing 35mph... :angel:

Don't know about in US, but in UK 3 MPH is the allowed tolerance for the speedo

5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

our trains at Eurotunnel normally run at 140 kph in the tunnel. If the EP has to be isolated, this immediately drops to 100; furthermore, the driver has to run at half the indicated speed when on other tracks. It can spoil an otherwise perfect day....

Similarly With HSTs, The E70s (brake control units) on both power cars make brake applications from both ends simultaneously, as do the 91/DVT on Mk4s.

With the rear E70 isolated speeds restricted to 100 mph

When doing the HST training*, on one run we made a Full Service application at a certain point from 125 to a stand.

Repeated the same thing on the next run, but with one E70 isolated...

we went an extra 1/4 mile

* in the days when we got a training special for this

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 17/11/2020 at 15:58, petethemole said:

I saw that.  Given the time the MOM quoted between the barriers coming down and the train arriving (25-30 sec), I worked out that the couple had probably crossed the line quite safely before the crossing activated but were surprised that a train came so soon afterwards.

20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unfortunately the CCTV didn't show where the couple were when they thought the lights weren't working ...................... must admit the Network Rail guy dismissing their claim as just a trick of the light was a little worrying  -  it was a right-side trick of the light in this instance but could be a wrong-side one next time !

Nice shot of a minimalist HST 'set' !

Sounds right for the time AHB's are set for the lights coming on for a train approaching at line speed.

The one remaining AHB on the ECML, Markle, on the Up you'd see the barriers falling as you approached at the permitted 100 mph. At some AHBs on slower routes like Newcastle - Carlisle or Edinburgh - Carstairs, I'd see traffic still crossing ahead before the lights started.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2020 at 17:40, PhilJ W said:

That looks nasty, any casualties? It looks as though the car drivers exit may have been blocked by another vehicle hence the blowing of the car horn. Of course the driver should have made sure that his exit was clear before driving onto the crossing.

No it was blocked by the barrier arm coming down.

• Thanks 1