Level crossing stupidity...

17 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

Actually, it wasn't a train at all, it was a flying saucer from Mars which just happened to be following the tracks . . . Now there's a story to sell the papers!

Perhaps that's the story he filed, but the editor wouldn't buy it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jcredfer said:

You could be forgiven for coming to that thought.   Part of the RAF Regiment duties involved defensive measures for Harriers, remote, in the field.  Whilst back on Base the policing of all aircraft [any type ] on any airfield was the responsibility of the RAF Police.  One of our "brilliant" Air Marshals was on a visit to one of the RAF Germany stations saw the Harriers in the field, with "defence" provided by the RAF Regiment and back on base with "Security" by the RAF Police.  He went back to M-o-D and arranged the amalgamation of th RAF Police and RAF Regiment into one Branch.

The Fire Flights were, apparently, viewed as some form of defence for aircraft and became part of RAF Regiment responsibility, too.

Julian

One of my old work mates was in the RAF Regiment, but he was assigned as being a photographer he was in charge of recon cameras on the Canberras and early on the Mosquito, some real dodgy stories I was told by him :lol:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

One of my old work mates was in the RAF Regiment, but he was assigned as being a photographer he was in charge of recon cameras on the Canberras and early on the Mosquito, some real dodgy stories I was told by him :lol:

My dad was in the RAF Regiment during WW2 in North Africa and Burma amongst other places, he had a few stories too, although he was reluctant to talk about it, and sadly I wasn't interested enough at the time to ask too much.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I was just reading the Jan 2021 issue of Hornby magazine. It brought this thread to mind. I hope no one looks too closely at the formations guide. Under "freight trains" it shows the NMT HST and the DB management train... :O

• Like 3

On 27/12/2020 at 20:05, LMS2968 said:

Something different!

Demonstrating the fine line between comedy and tragedy. Yes, it was funny but, presumably, firefighters would have been crossing the line on the understanding it was closed, and that train wasn't going particularly slowly... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2020 at 10:12, RJS1977 said:

According to the video, they telephoned the wrong railroad company.

Fair enough, at present I don't have any speakers connected to my PC. So I was in the dark as to the commentary!

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 29/12/2020 at 04:41, PatB said:

Demonstrating the fine line between comedy and tragedy. Yes, it was funny but, presumably, firefighters would have been crossing the line on the understanding it was closed, and that train wasn't going particularly slowly... 

I recall two incidents in recent years though where a driver working on the outside of his train had a very narrow escape with a train at 125 on an adjoining line which he believed was closed.

This incident could also have had very serious consequences had there been firefighters at the end of the hose facing the fire at the time, and suddenly found their water cut off

Edited by Ken.W
edit to add speed of incidents refered to
  • Agree 2