Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Titan said:

Just wondering, has anyone actually been injured or killed as a result of trying to use a level crossing as a photo opportunity? 

Why do you need to ask such a question?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Titan said:

Just wondering, has anyone actually been injured or killed as a result of trying to use a level crossing as a photo opportunity? 

I seem to recall one such incident, where and when I couldn't say.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kris said:

Was just about to post that, shocking. Hopefully a prosecution will swiftly follow. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55666013

You can tell the sort they are from the number plate which has had the characters doctored to provide the desired "personalised" effect.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

You can tell the sort they are from the number plate which has had the characters doctored to provide the desired "personalised" effect.

Also illegal, and a reason for getting the car crushed.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I seem to recall one such incident, where and when I couldn't say.

Wasn't there a semi-professional movie being filmed in the US? All went well until they were filming on a longish bridge, when a train came along and at least one actor was killed.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Load of rubbish. £100 fine and plate taken back by DVLA if caught again for misusing it.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

You can tell from a numberplate? Blimey!

God forbid there is a space in the wrong place, they must be a wrongun!  Pshhh.

anyway.. 

this is utter stupid and i really do hope they are prosecuted TBH. 
as a train driver this is very frustrating to see.

you often cant hear trains until they are right on top of you, not to mention if chatting away getting your lovely instagram photos..

people need to think of the train driver that could potentially be killed from things like this.. someone once asked me how i steer a train, i had to laugh..  

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

it was a taxi driver taking me to my next job, as soon as he asked that i felt like walking may have been the better option!

Why would a taxi driver know how a train worked (or need/want to) and what difference (if at all) would it make to his ability to drive a taxi?! Not everyone is an expert on trains, in fact most people aren't... Including a certain self made multi millionaire who's company used to run a rail franchise, yet seems to have been pretty successful at making money even though he thought the driver steered the train... ;)

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re the last video a couple of comments.

1. Good not to see any level crossing lunacy, though perhaps taking a bit of a chance at one point early on. But that crossing at an angle at a road junction must be a nightmare.

2. Unusual to see ten locomotives o0n a train. If that many were needed I would have expected them to be spread through the train. Perhaps just positioning moves for some of them.

3. Passenger trains! Whatever next?

4. Delightful views of Horseshoe Curve. I am tempted to replicate the scenes on Microsoft Train Simulator for which there is a nice route.

5. While I was watching the video my wife called attention to an item on a Facebook page currently with a drawing of two children (or possibly mother and daughter) walking along a railway line. She has posted a suitable comment.

Thanks for continuing to post these videos.

Jonathan

• Like 4

On 20/03/2013 at 14:07, Edwin_m said:

I think the presumption by some road users is that the train behaves like a road vehicle.  They don't realise that it could be going a lot faster, it almost certainly can't stop, and it almost always comes off better in a collision. 

I suspect many road users don't grasp how big and heavy a train is, and how long they take to stop.

jch

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I suspect many road users don't grasp how big and heavy a train is, and how long they take to stop.

The most important sign at a level crossing is the one which says "THE TRAIN CANNOT STOP". It should be 8ft high and repeated 3 times on the approach to a level crossing.

After a railway accident in the news I am always asked by family members and neighbours "Why didn't the train stop when it saw the obstruction?" Most recently after the Carmont derailment.

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

The most important sign at a level crossing is the one which says "THE TRAIN CANNOT STOP". It should be 8ft high and repeated 3 times on the approach to a level crossing.

After a railway accident in the news I am always asked by family members and neighbours "Why didn't the train stop when it saw the obstruction?" Most recently after the Carmont derailment.

Throwing an idea out (that I've thrown out before), but could it be worth paying heritage railways to do a bit of an educational program? Have school kids (although it seems like adults need it too) on and ask them when to apply the brakes to stop at that bridge ahead, and see the train go a significant distance past even at 25 mph from when they're likely to have said. Although maybe you don't even need that, since everyone seems to know that big heavy oil tankers take miles to stop.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Although maybe you don't even need that, since everyone seems to know that big heavy oil tankers take miles to stop.

Do they?

I'm no expert on Ships, or, come to that, planes, I picked up the stopping distance of large ships from documentaries and the odd news report but I'd lay good odds that most people don't know that large ships take a long time to stop, same as trains, or that trains aren't steered by the train driver, or how something weighing many tons manages to take off from a runway and take me to see some narrow gauge in Central Europe... The point is, I don't need to know any of that to do my job (well, perhaps how the train is "steered"!), and it's the same with the vast majority of the General Public... The poor taxi driver's surname clearly wasn't Housego but he probably wanted a chat and decided on that opening line... Unfortunately for him...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Do they?

I'm no expert on Ships, or, come to that, planes, I picked up the stopping distance of large ships from documentaries and the odd news report but I'd lay good odds that most people don't know that large ships take a long time to stop, same as trains, or that trains aren't steered by the train driver, or how something weighing many tons manages to take off from a runway and take me to see some narrow gauge in Central Europe... The point is, I don't need to know any of that to do my job (well, perhaps how the train is "steered"!), and it's the same with the vast majority of the General Public... The poor taxi driver's surname clearly wasn't Housego but he probably wanted a chat and decided on that opening line... Unfortunately for him...

Well maybe they don't, I just have a vague impression of it being one of those facts frequently trotted out when I was a kid. I know it after all and I don't have much interest in ships (although I've got enough of a grasp of basic physics that I could've guessed it anyway).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Unfortunately the DVLC can only take the plate back (and no refund) for that offence, usually a second.

Car crushing most often when the car is uninsured on the public highway.

Be a nice photo op for him though eh?  :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

There is potentially an entire thread on the imbecility of the UK numberplate system.

No need for a separate thread. This thread is just the place. NOT

After all, we did discuss the merits of various types of automatic gearboxes for many pages awhile back.................

:offtopic: :nono:

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, newbryford said:

No need for a separate thread. This thread is just the place. NOT

After all, we did discuss the merits of various types of automatic gearboxes for many pages awhile back.................

:offtopic: :nono:

Well I guess we are all lucky fixed penalty fines cannot be issued for such dire breaches of social and thread etiquette ;)

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2