Level crossing stupidity...

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

................ but who's going to choose to walk fifteen minutes* there an' fifteen minutes* back if they're in a hurry ? 

*Based on an average walking speed of 3mph - other walking speeds are available. 

It'd not be that much more - as the main pedestrian traffic would be towards the town centre, which is also off to the south-east, it's just a slightly longer walk on a different route...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

If it’s the New Forest I’d expect there would be planning issues with the “greenies” it looking so ugly :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Not to mention that pedestrians will do whatever they can to avoid using footbridges (or underpasses come to that!)...

This discussion is about the level crossing at Revelstoke. You've both got the wrong thread.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

Why would you want to lay on a level crossing for a photo https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-55764693

Obvious really, her head is completely empty so her legs stopped moving........these are the kind of people who investigate the smell of gas with a match.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

On todays BBC News website there is a photograph of a stupid woman being photographed spread out on  over an L/C electrified line.Trains cross here at 70mph and this year last year there have been numerous incidents of stupidity of all types.Just what is wrong with our nation are there far more stupid than previous ones or are they all members of the woke grouping who seem to think everything stops to let them pass.

• Agree 5

4 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Why would you want to lay on a level crossing for a photo https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-55764693

I saw this earlier.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd wager a small sum that if a member of staff from 'Network Rail' approached and berated them, the staff would either be met with disbelief or a foul-mouthed response.  These people think they have "rights", while conveniently forgetting they have responsibilities. 

Any warning signs are for others who are ignorant, they are smart, so a couple of hundred tons of train won't hurt them and if it's hits them it's the driver's fault for not stopping anyway.

jch

Edited by John Harris
  • Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

On todays BBC News website there is a photograph of a stupid woman being photographed spread out on  over an L/C electrified line.Trains cross here at 70mph and this year last year there have been numerous incidents of stupidity of all types.Just what is wrong with our nation are there far more stupid than previous ones or are they all members of the woke grouping who seem to think everything stops to let them pass.

See about 7 posts up.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Any warning signs are for others who are ignorant, they are smart, so a couple of hundred tons of train won't hurt them and if it's hits them it's the driver's fault for not stopping anyway.

jch

Or steering around them......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

members of the woke grouping who seem to think everything stops to let them pass.

I'm wokily challenging your use of "woke" here, which the lexicographers among us tell us means "alert to injustice in society, especially racism", in other words challenging rather than exercising perceived entitlement. I concede that being run down by a train while lying down on a level crossing may be a form of justice, possibly even social justice, but hardly one to be actively campaigned for.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 20/01/2021 at 21:20, newbryford said:

And if you don't want to wait because it's game time....

Might it not be wise to install a footbridge?

(Sorry PhilJ W, I see you've made the same comment).

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, StuAllen said:

There is a footbridge coming I believe, but as it is in the South Downs National Park the consultation process has been protracted. It was proposed to have ramps running over the site of the former Bishopstone Beach halt (earlier the original Bishopstone Station). 

The 'why?' can be asked of people who stand on the edge of the crumbling chalk cliffs to the east and west of this crossing to have their photos taken.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Just what is wrong with our nation are there far more stupid than previous ones .....

There are more stupid people about because the total population has increased!

Edited by Welly
Clarity
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Welly said:

There are more stupid people about because the total population has increased!

Unless the results of people stuck at home with 'nothing to do' in the first lockdown - nine months ago - has had a dramatic effect on the birth rate, I guess the population will be dropping at present .............. what an interesting year to have a census !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unless the results of people stuck at home with 'nothing to do' in the first lockdown - nine months ago - has had a dramatic effect on the birth rate, I guess the population will be dropping at present .............. what an interesting year to have a census !

You forget the effects of immigration also being a factor (for the last time, glorious sunlit uplands etc) *

* other simplistic metaphors also available. 

• Like 1