Level crossing stupidity...

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

They need to have money to be fineable.

Same answer I give to the ticketless people on the train... " If you can afford a mobile phone, the you can afford a ticket (or in this case a fine)!" Come to think about it confiscate the phone... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Same answer I give to the ticketless people on the train... " If you can afford a mobile phone, the you can afford a ticket (or in this case a fine)!" Come to think about it confiscate the phone... 

Remember that phones are like private owner wagons - usually let on contract rather than the holder's absolute property. They're paying as little as £10 per month, considerably less than they're (not) paying on train fares.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

Was in Kyoto exactly this time last year, and that brought back such happy memories. Thanks for that link.

What an phenomenal band!

Yes, was there a few years  ago now but never saw that procession, busy working unfortunately.....but it also brought back great memories of lovely people and places......so bloomin’ clean everywhere :D 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Hobby said:

That was one suggestion made to reduce the number of people using mobile phones when driving - make the punishment confiscation of the phone...

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, was there a few years  ago now but never saw that procession, busy working unfortunately.....but it also brought back great memories of lovely people and places......so bloomin’ clean everywhere :D 

Agreed.

I think western society as a whole could learn a lot from the way Japanese society works, and it would be for the betterment of all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Something I've often thought about when people talk about driving whilst on the phone - confiscating the phone would probably be a more significant deterrent than points on the licence and a fine (particularly if they're not allowed to take out a new contract on a new phone for a while).

edit: reading on I see someone's said just that!

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

I think western society as a whole could learn a lot from the way Japanese society works, and it would be for the betterment of all.

As regards cleanliness, the likes of Germany, Austria and Switzerland always seem so clean when we visit, especially small towns and villages. Untidiness (behaviour, not dress sense) seems a very British thing, especially amongst the younger generation who don't see to care for the old adage "take your rubbish home with you". We watched that programme on Chatsworth and the state of the grounds the morning after the first of the hot days was horrendous, I felt so sorry for the people who had to clear up the mess... (Substitute beaches for Chatsworth if you want!).

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Agreed.

Superficially it may seem so but there are some very dark places when you scratch the surface.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, meil said:

Superficially it may seem so but there are some very dark places when you scratch the surface.

No society's perfect, shouldn't stop us wanting to emulate the good parts.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Something I've often thought about when people talk about driving whilst on the phone - confiscating the phone would probably be a more significant deterrent than points on the licence and a fine (particularly if they're not allowed to take out a new contract on a new phone for a while).

Personally, I'd say go one step further...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

More effective to confiscate the car.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

More effective to confiscate the car.

Many seem so obsessed with their phones that I honestly think there's nothing they'd fear more than losing the phone, even the car.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

As regards cleanliness, the likes of Germany, Austria and Switzerland always seem so clean ..........

Yes an' no ............... I was horrified by the amount of graffiti on the buildings when I visited Bern about ten years ago - and most British train operators seem quicker to remove such mess from their mobile assets than is often the case abroad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Many seem so obsessed with their phones that I honestly think there's nothing they'd fear more than losing the phone, even the car.

So confiscate both. And if the miscreant complains they are not theirs, tell them that they are responsible for the value of the goods confiscated to the owner(s) thereof.

Edited by Budgie
  • Agree 2

Back to level crossings, and Revelstoke had a day of slow running as a large MOW (Maintenance of Way) hi-rail vehicle managed to reverse into one of the crossing signal posts, neatly snapping it off at ground level, and putting the crossing out of action. All trains warned and flagged across at walking pace. Accident happened at 08:34PST, last Signal Technician vehicle cleared the site at 20:39PST, having had to completely replace the crossing post, and while they were at it, upgrading the arm on the post the other side...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hobby said:

As regards cleanliness, the likes of Germany, Austria and Switzerland always seem so clean when we visit, especially small towns and villages. Untidiness (behaviour, not dress sense) seems a very British thing, especially amongst the younger generation who don't see to care for the old adage "take your rubbish home with you". We watched that programme on Chatsworth and the state of the grounds the morning after the first of the hot days was horrendous, I felt so sorry for the people who had to clear up the mess... (Substitute beaches for Chatsworth if you want!).

The younger generation......hmmmm......as an aside to my experience working in Japan, my fifth visit took me into the centre of Tokyo for some shopping, the first walk through the city is an eye opener but the kids, groups dressed liked punks.....rockers......mods (Or whatever they call them, dead smart), and even sexy cartoon character groups (didn’t know what to make of that)......but when there was a big group of nasty looking hells angel/rocker/mods kids walking down the pavement taking up the whole width......it was very intimidating at first, BUT when it came to them right in front of you they gracefully parted and smiled with deference and they walked past, over here I admit I’d be probably looking around for a shop to “look into”......completely different society, where on earth did we go wrong?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, meil said:

Indeed, and I saw a couple of Yazuka trucks (they used pickup trucks and stood in the back heavily armed with baseball bats and bamboo sticks (no doubt backed up out of sight with .38 and  Kadachi swords out of sight) rumble by in the middle of the night, but my companion said “don’t worry they are just reinforcing their control zone, not interested in us, just the other gangs”.......so it was and I didn’t.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/01/2021 at 07:24, Hobby said:

Hence I suggested large fines. Money talks much more than anything else for these sorts of people. 

Actually a large fine has different effects to people, depending on their financial position. Some regard any fine as a petty cash annoyance, yet to others a large fine can be a life changing experience.

Some Scandinavian countries take into account your annual income, surely a much fairer system?

https://www.cnrlawyers.com/news/high-speeding-ticket-fines/

• Like 2
  • Agree 3