Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This driver must be blind and deaf.

Sorry, you have to laugh at the slow motion crash.

It's what happens when the windows are wound up and you're distracted by something else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Don't you watch 'Police Interceptors', or any of the other myriad of police 'fly-on-the wall' TV series?

John Isherwood.

Very rarely

They usually seem full of doped up kids in stolen BMWs trying to outpace the cops.

It usually ends in a big smash.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Of course from what I've been told in European and other countries, the blame culture is firmly on the shoulders of the person who causes the incident. 

Isn’t that exactly how it should be? Surely any person causing an incident is to blame? Am I missing something?

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Legitimate users required to phone the signaler are not just drivers; they could include blind farmers or shepherds needing to cross with their sheep/cows/horses, so instructions definitely should be in braille.

Please tell me this is a joke. Blind farmers and shepherds? Really? Are there any?

Should we also have signs in Klingon, you know, just in case?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Please tell me this is a joke. Blind farmers and shepherds? Really? Are there any?

Quite. Farming is quite dangerous enough for those with all their senses in full working order.

As for the idea of a blind shepherd, sighted ones often have difficulty in ensuring they have gathered in all of their contrary charges..... 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

A reductio ad absurdum of the preceding arguments. So, insofar as absurdity is humorous, yes, I suppose so. But I'm sure there are such people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

I'll leave you to guess!

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

Though I don't think he has any user worked level crossings to deal with.

• Like 3

On 28/04/2021 at 19:46, Michael Hodgson said:

Whilst many of the Welsh prefer their own language, I've never yet come across a Welshman who can't speak English at least competently, though some may have such a heavy accent that their English can be difficult to understand and a few in North Wales choose to be unhelpful to English tourists.  As Welsh is compulsory in the schools in Wales, we may in time time see monoglot Welsh again, but it would be very limiting not to have English if you want a job outside Wales or want to travel overseas - most of the EU use English to overcome their language differences.  The only other country you might encounter the Welsh language is, of all places, Paraguay

There is a small contingent of Welsh speakers in Workington!

The reason for this is that it's home to the British Cattle Movement Service helpline, which is managed by Defra so based in England (as Defra only has offices in England), even though it covers Wales and Scotland as well.

Therefore there is a requirement to have a contingent of Welsh speakers based in Workington to man the helpline and every so often Defra have to lure more Welsh speakers up there to fill any vacancies that may have arisen.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

172737102-5327787990629202-2444877302454577979-n.jpg.1f58141e2d5ee3afb55fd491a048dd72.jpg

Believe it or not, this damage (April 14) had nothing to do with the railway.. The driver rammed two police cars before the crash... He is helping with enquires..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2021 at 21:53, Andy Hayter said:

Well reading through some of the arguments about foreign language posting on road signs, I rather wonder why someone has not commented that the signs are not in Braille.  After all you never know when a blind driver is going to need to cross the railway.

That's not so silly as you think. A friend of mine can see well enough to drive but is registered blind!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Richard E said:

That's not so silly as you think. A friend of mine can see well enough to drive but is registered blind!

Indeed - and presumably your friend can still read a numberplate at 20m and also be able to read the wording which accompanies some signs (e.g. 'End', '200 yds') and so would not have trouble reading the signage at an occupation crossing.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Indeed - and presumably your friend can still read a numberplate at 20m and also be able to read the wording which accompanies some signs (e.g. 'End', '200 yds') and so would not have trouble reading the signage at an occupation crossing.

Absolutely. It's just one of those very strange anomalies that crop up now and again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

There was a blind viticulteur near our friends' farm in Southern Beaujolais.

I don’t doubt that for a second but does he ever need to drive a tractor or lead his flock of vines across a railway track? There are exceptional people in many fields who are blind, not least Geerat Vermeij; an evolutionary biologist who studies and has written books about shells, none of which he has ever seen. All his studying is done using his fingers and sense of touch.

• Like 3