Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know about Workington, but there are many Welsh people in Birkenhead and lots of Welsh road names. And the man who organised the Welsh expedition to Patagonia was from Liverpool.

BWT completely off topic, there was an interesting railway in Patagonia, alas now gone I think. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Jones_(Patagonia)

There is another website about it but I can't find it at the moment.

I suspect that they never had too many level crossing incidents.

Seriously, I agree fully that there is a dilemma: how do you keep signs simple enough that people will read them but cater for all eventualities? I remember years ago travelling to an hotel from the Hannover Fair with a German colleague and she commented (in English of course) that along German roads there were often so many road signs that it was impossible to take them all in as one drove along.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I remember years ago travelling to an hotel from the Hannover Fair with a German colleague and she commented (in English of course) that along German roads there were often so many road signs that it was impossible to take them all in as one drove along.

There’s even a word for this: Schilderwald = forest of signs

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

There was a fatal crash on a crossing here in Perth at the weekend. It got a brief mention and a few seconds of footage on the evening news, but I can't seem to find an online news article. It was on the local commuter network as far as I could see, where all the crossings have barriers and wig-wags, so it's fairly safe to assume that the driver either wove around the barriers, or was sitting on the crossing in a traffic queue.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Are you sure it was Perth?  I understand that there was an accident at Moulinearn level crossing near Pitlochry in which a passenger in a car died in hospital.  Last time I was there that was a private User-Worked Level Crossing just off the A9, but I don't know its current status.

PS It had Miniature Stop Lights, not wig-wags but that was a few years ago and it may well have been changed.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

I was on duty in Glasgow Control on the day of the tragic accident at Moulinearn (Scotland) which, by strange coincidence, was exactly 20 years ago today - Saturday 5th May 2001. There was also a previous fatal accident there in September 1953. But this is not what PatB is referring to, of course. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Check PatB's location in his signature.

That's what cones of trying to get

through crossings upside down.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if that automobile left on the crossing had been stolen and it was a good way, hopefully, to get the evidence destroyed. Or is it just my suspicious mind? Mind you the tow-away truck arrived pretty fast unless the video was heavily edited, though I can't see any joins.

Jonathan

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 18:29, melmerby said:

Postage would be a bit steep!

Naaa...  Digital version...  available, just as soon as Alexander Bell  and Logie Baird return to meet and reconnect the Scottish phone and their TV through the UK system and onto the the world beyond.   :jester:

Julian

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, IWCR said:

He did, he pulled over and stopped.

Probably expected the train to move over and go round him.

Maybe thought "not on the track so clear"?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

La Grange yet again:

To be fair to the motorist, when they turned into the street the train was still a fair way away. Is there any warning system for vehicles going in that direction that a train is approaching ? 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Yes, 3 frigging great headlamps and a bell, perhaps he was dazzled and couldn't see how wide it was!

Given the distance between the car and the train, when the vehicle turned into the street, I very much doubt they would have heard the bell. Also, given that this is a busy road with parked vehicles and traffic coming the other way, would the driver really be looking that far ahead rather than immediately in front of them ? The mistake they made is not pulling over far enough for the train to pass, and they certainly paid a price for that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2