Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It wasn't clear whether there was enough space to enable him to pull far enough over. 

There's plenty on the other side of the road.

It could well have pushed the vehicle into the parked cars, that's not the first time it has happened and each time the driver took the chance that the train was going to miss them.

Unfortunately there are no lines on the road marking the extremeties of the train to guide drivers (there used to be before the track was relaid) and allowing parking on that side such that there isn't a full width lane clear of the track is IMHO stupid.

https://goo.gl/maps/6Lr1vzLXFcmqxjNv9

IMHO the best option would be to go to the left of the train where the road is or just pull onto the LH side, if there is no other traffic.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2021 at 09:47, phil-b259 said:

Indeed - and presumably your friend can still read a numberplate at 20m and also be able to read the wording which accompanies some signs (e.g. 'End', '200 yds') and so would not have trouble reading the signage at an occupation crossing.

You only need to read a nuberplate at whatever distance to pass your test. Once you have passed your test you don't need to take it again unless the judge rules that you must.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Budgie said:

You only need to read a nuberplate at whatever distance to pass your test. Once you have passed your test you don't need to take it again unless the judge rules that you must.

You don't need to take it again but AIUI you'll be driving illegally if you can't. It just doesn't get checked.

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Budgie said:

You don't even need to be able to read it if they do the eyesight test the same way they did when I took my test. Half a dozen learners in a line, all taking it in turns to read the same numberplate. Apart from the first one, all the others need is a good memory....

That said, there seem to be a significant number of drivers around who can't read the words 'BUS LANE' written in 3' high letters.....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

That said, there seem to be a significant number of drivers around who can't read the words 'BUS LANE' written in 3' high letters.....

I remember my elder son when he was first learning his alphabet: in great excitement "Daddy! There's a bee in the road!" - had me quite confused for a moment or two.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

Reading the number plate in the Test isn't, in any way intended to be a requirement that you should continue to read them, in order to drive safely {I sincerely hope I don't have to explain that}.  Failing to use that eyesight to notice the proximity of railway track, notices, Ditch lights and flashing Mars light, with accompanying rather loud Horn, would rather imply a degree of lack of the required driver awareness, otherwise known as  incompetence to be in charge of a vehicle - even in the USA.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Aren't gears an anathema to American drivers?

;-)

It is said that the best anti-theft device you can have fitted to a car in the US is a manual gearbox.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Budgie said:

I thought I had to declare that I could still read one when I had to apply for a new licence when I hit 70?

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I thought I had to declare that I could still read one when I had to apply for a new licence when I hit 70?

That's a part of the form that anyone has to fill out at that age, to "apply for" a Licence to drive beyond that age.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

There's plenty on the other side of the road.

It could well have pushed the vehicle into the parked cars, that's not the first time it has happened and each time the driver took the chance that the train was going to miss them.

Unfortunately there are no lines on the road marking the extremeties of the train to guide drivers (there used to be before the track was relaid) and allowing parking on that side such that there isn't a full width lane clear of the track is IMHO stupid.

https://goo.gl/maps/6Lr1vzLXFcmqxjNv9

IMHO the best option would be to go to the left of the train where the road is or just pull onto the LH side, if there is no other traffic.

100% agree, the other side of the road has vastly more space. I would certainly nip over there (besides, it's the proper side of the road to drive on anyway! :D ) and take my chances on someone backing out and hitting me - if I wasn't there, they'd be reversing into the train, anyway!

As far as allowing parking on the RHS, it seems that except for when a train actually comes along, there is no reason why parking should be banned. A properly parked car (I do concede that there is no guarantee of that, given the way some people park!), leaves plenty of room for a train to pass, as long as none tries to join the traffic flow.

It keeps the locals entertained!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could be he (or she) was looking for a parking space. As we all know that demands the drivers entire concentration over consideration of other road users let alone a 1,000 ton freight train.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Could be he (or she) was looking for a parking space. As we all know that demands the drivers entire concentration over consideration of other road users let alone a 1,000 ton freight train.

I think you missed out a zero there, Phil :)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if there's a chance that driver was thinking "the train's going slowly and can see me so it should stop and wait until I've moved, trains have brakes don't they?"

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

I wonder if there's a chance that driver was thinking "the train's going slowly and can see me so it should stop and wait until I've moved, trains have brakes don't they?"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..............

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

I don't think it looked like a BMW or VW.....

Julian

• Funny 2

Bill Bryson mentions i one of his books about an incident that happened at a level crossing somewhere in Europe. A man with a goat arrived at the crossing, and knowing he would have to wait for a while, he tied the goat to the crossing barrier. While he waited, a man in an expensive sports car stopped behind him. Behind the car was a horse drawn cart, and a motorcyclist came up behind the horse. The train passed, and the motorcyclist revved his engine impatiently to remind the signalman to raise the barriers.  the sound of the engine frightened the horse, who reared up over the back of the sports car. The driver of the car got out, saw the damage, and punched the horse, whereupon the owner of the horse punched him. The man with the goat stepped in to try to break the fight up, but while he was doing that, the barriers went up and strangled the goat....

• Like 2
  • Funny 5