Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

:offtopic:Not just cars and not just rising bollards ... there's even the one on here who got bollarded when being towed by the AA man ...

That last one looks as if he was trying to fake an accident to claim compensation. He was lucky to be able to walk limp away.

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That last one looks as if he was trying to fake an accident to claim compensation.

At first viewing I thought he was just being deliberately obstructive in an "I'm not impressed by your expensive car" sort of way.

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

He was lucky to be able to walk limp away.

More the case that he was extremely unlucky to have encountered an impatient @rse who seemed to think a few seconds' delay was reasonable grounds to employ his motor vehicle as an offensive weapon.

On the other hand I think there's something a bit dodgy about the whole clip.  I seriously doubt whether any normal person would be able to get up and limp away after a car had been driven over their lower leg.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, grahame said:

I'd have thought that was a good reason for installing more. To get more idiot drivers and their cars off the road.

;-)

They used to follow the buses through, so the road was blocked while the mess was cleared up - all the twiters then complaining that their bus was delayed!!!

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

They used to follow the buses through, so the road was blocked while the mess was cleared up - all the twiters then complaining that their bus was delayed!!!

Yeah, that also happens on bus lanes without rising bollards where inconsiderate drivers block them and delay the buses. At least the bollards leave a permanent reminder in the way of damage to their cars and a more salutory lesson.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

:offtopic:Not just cars and not just rising bollards ... there's even the one on here who got bollarded when being towed by the AA man ...

The AA man one looks expensive and he'll get a kick up the backside for that. Ought to have guessed what might happen. A call to the control centre would of had them keep the barrier up.

I know a women who had her car severely damaged (half the electronics blown up), when she had the RACV out to jump start her car. He managed to connect the helper battery incorrectly. Of course he denied it, by trying to make out that was why the car didn't start before he got there.

The evidence showed otherwise and after a while the RACV coughed for repairs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

At first viewing I thought he was just being deliberately obstructive in an "I'm not impressed by your expensive car" sort of way.

[...]

More the case that he was extremely unlucky to have encountered an impatient @rse who seemed to think a few seconds' delay was reasonable grounds to employ his motor vehicle as an offensive weapon.

On the other hand I think there's something a bit dodgy about the whole clip.  I seriously doubt whether any normal person would be able to get up and limp away after a car had been driven over their lower leg.

I see what you mean - but there are a lot of strange people out there! Assuming it is genuine, I suspect the car driver hadn't seen him fall. As the car pulls up, the driver's likely looking at the ticket machine. S/he opens the door, suggesting maybe a problem with the electric window, another minor distraction. By which point the guy is on the floor out of view of the driver in front of the car. Driver sees him crossing, focuses on getting ticket, looks back, the man's gone, sets off... it's not hard to think it's one of those cases where all the holes in the Swiss cheese line up to lead to an accident.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The AA man one looks expensive and he'll get a kick up the backside for that. Ought to have guessed what might happen. A call to the control centre would of had them keep the barrier up.

Why would an AA van be going through the bollards anyway?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Why would an AA van be going through the bollards anyway?

To rescue a vehicle that's broken down inside the car park, perhaps?

Is it relevant as clearly the AA has messed up big time!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I know a women who had her car severely damaged (half the electronics blown up), when she had the RACV out to jump start her car. He managed to connect the helper battery incorrectly. Of course he denied it, by trying to make out that was why the car didn't start before he got there.

The evidence showed otherwise and after a while the RACV coughed for repairs.

I gave up on the RAC here when I realised that their patrol guys knew less about my vehicles than I did and, yes, were likely to actively endanger expensive electronics. The towing service was handy a couple of times, but as my vehicles have become newer and more reliable, the necessity has dropped off. If I were to chuck the annual subs into a pot, I'd easily accumulate enough to cover a (massively overpriced) private tow on the rare occasions it might be needed.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

To rescue a vehicle that's broken down inside the car park, perhaps?

Is it relevant as clearly the AA has messed up big time!

At first glance I didn't think it was a car park exit as those sorts of bollards are more usually used for blocking off busways. However perhaps you're right, as a busway wouldn't have barriers as well, or double yellow lines.

• Like 1

We are making assumptions (that the patrol man is at fault), for all we know

he did ask for a longer exit time, and either the operator got distracted, or

discovered (too late) that it wasn't possible/faulty equipment/wrong code!

• Like 1

On 07/07/2021 at 17:54, Hobby said:

What's the phrase we were taught as soon as we started on the railways... 

"Regard any track as live and treat it that way". 

Especially if there's a third rail...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, caradoc said:

The car gained access to the line via the LC at Cheshunt station, so it certainly is level crossing stupidity, of a particularly outrageous kind in this case. 

Given how busy that bit of line is, it's amazing that

a) they were not hit by a train 

b) the barriers were up so that they could drive onto the tracks. 

I well remember staying at the YHA just past the crossing and finding that you could wait there for a very long time. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Kris said:

Given how busy that bit of line is, it's amazing that

a) they were not hit by a train 

I well remember staying at the YHA just past the crossing and finding that you could wait there for a very long time. 

The car was driven through the barriers, a train had just left the station but the barriers had not raised.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Kris said:

They wern't

The barriers were down for a train but the car thief drove through them and onto the tracks anyway in a bid to escape.

Fortunately barriers are fitted with something called 'boom proving' which means if it gets broken off or badly bent then it will be detected and signals thrown back to red.

Not much use if the train is too close to the crossing to stop mind - this criminal was very lucky, but will hopefully be caught and be dealt with for their reckless actions.

B239A5EE-9F87-4F0A-8809-6F0B64C9F839.png

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4