Level crossing stupidity...

Yes, I think we just accepted that it would carry on but I just find it amusing that there's more American stuff than UK (reflection of the actual numbers probably) so just thought I'd introduce some European into the equation!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

I think we've been here before. The section is headed ' UK Prototype Discussions (not questions!)'.

True, but having a topic on "level crossing stupidity" in each territorial sub forum doesn't seem logical to me.

It's a worldwide problem.

IMHO there really needs to be a section for railways in general.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Sorry, Keith, there isn't one, I've changed my post to reflect it! Just the photos of the car which would appear to have hit the train head-on!

Annoyingly there is no way of reading the text as it can't be copied into a translator.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Your browser should have an option. It translates fine in Chrome and Edge.

The amount of research I do where I have to use the translate tool I'd be lost without it! I know sometimes you can get some rather odd translations but on the whole it's fine!

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

True, but having a topic on "level crossing stupidity" in each territorial sub forum doesn't seem logical to me.

It's a worldwide problem.

IMHO there really needs to be a section for railways in general.

Ah yes, but the 'Prototype' subsection, comes under 'Modelling Zone', which is an oxymoron.

Fact is not everything can have it's own individual section, otherwise there would be many more and more people would post in the wrong section, thus making it harder to find!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I copied the link into Google Translate and then clicked on the translation.

Couldn't get it to work in Firefox (Really starting to lose my faith in it) as It wont let me copy the Slovak text at all.

I can copy the web link but that's all it is, a weblink.

However having switched to Chrome it translates instantly.

I bet the Beamer got more than €200 damage after being skewered by that coupling.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

.......... Fact is not everything can have it's own individual section, otherwise there would be many more and more people would post in the wrong section, thus making it harder to find!

I'm not sure about it being harder to find ..................................................... damned near impossible, I'd say.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Couldn't get it to work in Firefox (Really starting to lose my faith in it) as It wont let me copy the Slovak text at all.

I

Are you running NoScript on Firefox? That may well cause problems unless you trust Google.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

I think we've been here before. The section is headed ' UK Prototype Discussions (not questions!)'.

"When the real thing looks like a model"

is in the UK Prototype Section and there's

an awful lot of non-UK stuff in that.

I rest my case my lud :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think some of the non-UK crossing incidents started to appear here was because there was a lack (thankfully) of UK incidents.

At least I'd rather see this thread used for level crossing incidents worldwide than discussions about translation sites and automatic gearboxes.........

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

I suppose it's easier to search and find accidents in the USA as most of us search in English so they'll come come up quicker. Having said that I found this piece on Belgium showing that the results of accidents at level crossings are much more severe than here in the UK, I'm sure if we searched around a bit more we could find even more (gory) detail...

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/92578/seven-people-died-in-45-level-crossing-accidents-in-2019-infrabel-reports/

The issues appear to be so severe there's an ongoing programme to get rid of level crossings...

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

I suppose it's easier to search and find accidents in the USA as most of us search in English so they'll come come up quicker. Having said that I found this piece on Belgium showing that the results of accidents at level crossings are much more severe than here in the UK, I'm sure if we searched around a bit more we could find even more (gory) detail...

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/92578/seven-people-died-in-45-level-crossing-accidents-in-2019-infrabel-reports/

The issues appear to be so severe there's an ongoing programme to get rid of level crossings...

Level crossing incidents are common Europe-wide; when the IRSE had a conference about them a few years ago, I believe the Chair was from NS, and there were representatives from many other European railways.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

You'd think, with most lines being unfenced, that level crossings and approaching trains would be a little more conspicuous than in our congested isle !

You'd think that would be the case, but they are unfortunately all too common. France, for example, has 100+ per year French ones that spring to mind include a Gendarmerie car in pursuit of another car (4 killed), a school bus which tried to cross when barriers had descended (6 killed). Here's some more info:- https://www.thelocal.fr/20171215/why-are-level-crossings-in-france-so-deadly/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

I think some of the non-UK crossing incidents started to appear here was because there was a lack (thankfully) of UK incidents.

At least I'd rather see this thread used for level crossing incidents worldwide than discussions about translation sites and automatic gearboxes.........

I'm not so sure there's a lack of UK incidents, probably more a lack of journalistic coverage of incidents. The vast majority of level crossing accidents are down to the motorist, so they should be seen as car crashes rather than train crashes, except where there's an unusual feature such as a wrong side equipment failure.  If the headline is "man killed in car crash" then it must be a slow news day?

As far as foreign level crossings are concerned, we don't get to hear about it. 

We may have joined and left the EU but we still have an attitude of "Fog in Channel,  Continent cut off"

The US and France have great mileages of track and are more sparsely populayed than the UK

So they have lots of local roads need to cross them and less justification for constructing bridges.  And in the case of the US, trains are so long that if you do wait for the train to go by, you're stuck there for much longer, so there's more incentive to take a chance.

I don't see it as surprising if they have disproportionately more crossing accidents. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3