Level crossing stupidity...

29 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

However, I don't like being treat as an idiot or a schoolchild. Maybe I'll look for somewhere else more suited to my personallity.

Hah....I get that all the time! It's quite useful really, since folk are less disappointed if I act a bit thick....

However, I find  that those who treat me as an an idiot, invariably are the idiots themselves, at least in my book!

Post what you will, wherever you are, and be damned, as they say.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, alastairq said:

Hah....I get that all the time! It's quite useful really, since folk are less disappointed if I act a bit thick....

However, I find  that those who treat me as an an idiot, invariably are the idiots themselves, at least in my book!

Post what you will, wherever you are, and be damned, as they say.

As was told to me when I joined the railway as a mere underling various team leaders were very keen to point out everyone is a, ahem*, an 'idiot' - it just depends on what type of 'idiot' you are.....

* The actual word was not suitable for repetition on here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I have just E-mailed a friend who drives 'Exceptional Loads' around the US and Canada (she's just finishing a run from Texas to British Columbia) inquiring about the provision of communications at Grade Crossings. She used to be an NR MOM, so I would imagine she'd be able to clarify things a bit.

Isn't the Internet amazing? Just had a reply from the other side of the Pond:-

Yes, that is definately the same. When we have an oversize load it’s often written on the permit, or with phone numbers in case of problems. A classic just doing the rounds in the internet was a wind turbine blade being moved. The obviously didn’t ring first because a slow move round a bend and over the crossing started and then the barriers came down and the train blew through the blade!!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Isn't the Internet amazing? Just had a reply from the other side of the Pond:-

Yes, that is definately the same. When we have an oversize load it’s often written on the permit, or with phone numbers in case of problems. A classic just doing the rounds in the internet was a wind turbine blade being moved. The obviously didn’t ring first because a slow move round a bend and over the crossing started and then the barriers came down and the train blew through the blade!!

Yes, so what is the procedure there? Obviously the route needs to be followed and problem areas identified. Crossing any railway, at slow speed with a long load, is going to present an issue and if not planned for, a result of destruction MAY result!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of US crossings have a plate witha phone number to report problems to the railway/railroad company.

But does a wind turbine blade mean a problem or is such mundane things as broken or faulty barriers?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, SamThomas said:

However, I don't like being treat as an idiot or a schoolchild. Maybe I'll look for somewhere else more suited to my personallity.

I thought I was offering an olive branch, but don't worry Sam, I will not quote you, respond to you or otherwise engage with you in any way on here in future. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

A lot of US crossings have a plate witha phone number to report problems to the railway/railroad company.

But does a wind turbine blade mean a problem or is such mundane things as broken or faulty barriers?

They don't seem very conspicuous compared to such things in the UK though - which will always come with a phone rather than relying on the vehicle driver to use their own.

• RMweb Premium

This is Thomasville NC, where that car got wacked in the video I posted a couple of pages back.

Bit of info overload IMHO but there is an emergency phone plate:

image.png.c91b5e06b2f2194aa57cc8c422676515.png

IMHO the phone number is in too small a typeface. It needs to be easily read.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

This is Thomasville NC, where that car got wacked in the video I posted a couple of pages back.

Bit of info overload IMHO but there is an emergency phone plate:

image.png.c91b5e06b2f2194aa57cc8c422676515.png

IMHO the phone number is in too small a typeface. It needs to be easily read.

There is some important information (lost) there that is "out sized" by some much less important clutter.

Kev.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

White on light blue's hardly the most eye-catching combination either.

It's not to bad if the sign is new, it's when the reflective qualities of the sign fades, that makes it hard to read.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Just out of interest, what's the mast coverage like in the 'States nowadays ? ...... there are plenty of places in our compact little isle where reception is poor - if it exists at all. 

I looked at a cell phone coverage map for each of the main providers and it looks as if, apart from centres of population and main highways, it can be patchy.

here is a combined map

https://www.uscellular.com/coverage-map

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

One hopes the driving ban only kicks in when he leaves prison, otherwise half of it will be wasted!

John

What's the use of that driving ban; one of the things he was charged with was driving while disqualified.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Budgie said:

What's the use of that driving ban; one of the things he was charged with was driving while disqualified.

Absolutely. There's no way of stopping someone simply ignoring a ban if they just don't care! Until cars get some form of biometric locking to stop unlicensed drivers using them....

• Like 1
  • Agree 5