Level crossing stupidity...

15 hours ago, newbryford said:

The same score can also apply to cars, pedestrians, vans, trucks, buses, motor cyclists and coaches and any other road uses.

Some time ago I put this theory to the test.  I thought I would rather get some hard data rather than just opinion.  So as I walked to work I counted how many cyclists, given the opportunity to do so would break the highway code.  It was 13 out of fifteen.  I don't think 13 out of 15 motorists don't bother stopping at red lights,  so on my spot analysis no, the same score does not apply to other road users.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Is this thread about level crossings or cyclists?

The intersection of the two is relevant. Does the disdain shown by a large majority of cyclists for red lights, as evidenced by @Titan's spot data, extend to flashing red lights?

• Agree 4

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The intersection of the two is relevant. Does the disdain shown by a large majority of cyclists for red lights, as evidenced by @Titan's spot data, extend to flashing red lights?

Think there are even examples of cyclists lifting their bikes over the barriers on this thread, never mind ignoring red flashing lights!

Edited by Titan
  • Agree 6

No they aren't and just going on the ones we see in built up areas gives a false impression. Most motorists won't deliberately run red lights, etc., simply because they can be traced reflectively easily. I wonder if cyclists would be so cavalier if they could be so easily identified though? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

57 minutes ago, Hobby said:

No they aren't and just going on the ones we see in built up areas gives a false impression. 

Have you ever walked down a shared space - such as a repurposed old railway and accidentally stepped out in front of a speeding cyclist ? - I have ( a number of times ) and have not heard a cycle bell before they whizzed past at zero feet .... but heard a few choice words afterwards. [ I was actually clobbered by a cyclist in Dresden a few years back when I side-stepped to avoid a couple of elderly ladies.]

Now ....... back to crossings .................

• Friendly/supportive 3

Yes I have, I was pushing a wheelchair at the time, the section of the old Midland Railway near Bakewell. And I would say that it was a minority that behaved in that way, the majority were courteous. 

As for Europe, we've travelled widely in Northern Europe and would say that the way cyclists and other road users is very different to the UK. You have to be aware of how things work before stepping out. We had some close calls early on in The Netherlands until we realised we were walking in the wrong place. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all.

Oh dear- it's one of those debates again is it.  

I ride a bike.  I drive a car.  I see some  poor behaviour by both. 

Everyone should pay attention to, and obey road signs including signs at level crossings and foot crossings.

A car is more likely to cause serious injury when misused.  

Time to be more tolerant and respectful of each other and all road users.  Tub thumping my tribe good, your tribe bad isn't constructive.  

Best regards

Matt W

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

No they aren't and just going on the ones we see in built up areas gives a false impression. Most motorists won't deliberately run red lights, etc., simply because they can be traced reflectively easily. I wonder if cyclists would be so cavalier if they could be so easily identified though? 

I see people jumping the lights in cars and vans every single day on my commute - and not just blasting through an amber.  In contrast I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of I've seen cyclists do it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I take it you've never been to London then... 

London Cyclist interviewed on TV news a while back.

Reporter: Why do you jump the lights?

Cyclist: Because it's safer!

(Birmingham is pretty bad as well, including lots of wrong way riding.)

Edited by melmerby

As an ex cyclist I CAN SEE BOYH SIDES BUY A DRIVER IS PROTECTED BY THE

As an ex cyclist I can understand both sides but having been on the recieving end of totaly idiotic motorists and thier antics .Cyclists also do stupid things and deserve to be dealt with but motorists seem to get away lightly especialy when they kill a cyclist .Localy a driver got two years and a ban for four after driving into a cyclist who was riding legaly and the local paper seemed to think he got a heavy sentence. Around here young drivers are a liability speeding using bus lanes tailgating and abusive  but you never see a police car whrn you need them.Remwmber a driver is surrounded by a lot of metal a cyclis surrounded by thin air  so give them room when youpass them.

r

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I know US locos have heavily reinforced noses to deal with such occurrences, but I hope that one had an armoured glass windscreen. Judging by the timing of the horn, the driver was still at his desk.

John 

They may not have been- the horn is usually set to play the whistle tone (long, long, short, long till on crossing) by a single press, for liability reasons- that way, the railway can "verify" that the horn was sounded correctly to limit legal liablity.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 hours ago, Titan said:

Some time ago I put this theory to the test.  I thought I would rather get some hard data rather than just opinion.  So as I walked to work I counted how many cyclists, given the opportunity to do so would break the highway code.  It was 13 out of fifteen.  I don't think 13 out of 15 motorists don't bother stopping at red lights,  so on my spot analysis no, the same score does not apply to other road users.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "Stopping". There is one set of lights at a crossroads near me where if I set off when the lights allow me to, I would stand a fair chance of being T - boned by a car coming through on red!

Edited by 62613
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, Monkersson said:

I see people jumping the lights in cars and vans every single day on my commute - and not just blasting through an amber.  In contrast I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of I've seen cyclists do it.

As someone else said you've definitely not been to Brum or any other large city recently, I normally don't see any red light jumping by cars, etc., but I see lots of it from cyclists, also pavement riding and wrong direction riding, not to mention exactly the same from those electric scooters. I was in my local town centre yesterday, only for 1/2 hour, and saw an electric scooter and two cyclists riding in the pedestrian zone. 

Look I'm not saying that all cyclists are bad and all motorists are good, there's good and bad in both, probably at similar levels, but using an excuse that it's ok to run a red light because it's "safer" just doesn't wash. If cyclists really want respect and the rest of us to accept the ruling that they are not to blame in any accident regardless they really have to start abiding by the rules themselves. Evidence from many people in most large cities is that's not the case where things like pavement riding is rife, and for blind or wheelchair users that is not acceptable (before we think this is all about cars vs cyclists).

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

I suppose it depends what you mean by "Stopping". There is one set of lights at a crossroads near me where if I set off when the lights allow me to, I would stand a fair chance of being T - boned by a car coming through on red!

I am really not quite sure how the word "stopping" could be less ambiguous, it is digital, you either stop or you don't, there are no in-between graduations.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Titan said:

I am really not quite sure how the word "stopping" could be less ambiguous, it is digital, you either stop or you don't, there are no in-between graduations.

Let me state my position; I am not a cyclist, for various reasons; I was making the point that singling out cyclists for what seems to be a common road - user problem ( around here at any rate) isn't the way to go!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Worth remembering that green traffic lights only mean you can go on if the way is clear (which rather covers the red jumpers!)...

The way might be clear but some red light jumper may be hurtling along the road from the side you can't see. There are many junctions where you can't see what's coming .. That's why in some cases the lights were installed..

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Let me state my position; I am not a cyclist, for various reasons; I was making the point that singling out cyclists for what seems to be a common road - user problem ( around here at any rate) isn't the way to go!

That's what I thought, until I decided to actually keep a score rather than just think "look another cyclist running a red light"  The purpose of my survey was to try and defend cyclists. I wanted to make sure that I was taking account of all the cyclists that were riding properly, as I believed it was something that could go under the radar - in other words testing the theory that you just don't notice the good ones and collectively they are not as bad as perceived. So I was keeping a particular look out for all cyclists, and counting the good ones too.  The ratio of good to bad that was taken with as unbiased a study I could manage was utterly horrendous.  The worst being cyclists ignoring red lights at pedestrian crossings and swerving around people attempting to cross, something I have never seen a car do.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1