Level crossing stupidity...

20 hours ago, melmerby said:

The problem is what exactly comprises the Black Country?

There is no standard definition, however with most defintions* Walsall is normally included, Wolverhampton often not.

*Based on the coal seams?

The traditional definition is within the outcrop of the Thick Coal seam. The problem is that that worked when there were local district municipalities. However when the Metropolitan Boroughs came into effect it rather destroyed that definition. The modern Black Country is Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall and Sandwell.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, meil said:

The traditional definition is within the outcrop of the Thick Coal seam. The problem is that that worked when there were local district municipalities. However when the Metropolitan Boroughs came into effect it rather destroyed that definition. The modern Black Country is Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall and Sandwell.

:offtopic:  I've always understood the area to be defined by the accent/dialect - Wednesbury to Darlaston, where even Brummies need an interpreter.  

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t……..the full name would be a Dodge Ram…….it didn’t :D

Its a Renault Master/Fiat Ducatto. They are marketed in the USA by GM simply as RAM. They are manufactured for the American market in Brazil. RAM is an acronym of the name of the  manufacturer in Brazil. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its a Renault Master/Fiat Ducatto. They are marketed in the USA by GM simply as RAM. They are manufactured for the American market in Brazil. RAM is an acronym of the name of the  manufacturer in Brazil. 

I wasn’t sure it was just Ram as I knew it was GM….so Dodge came to mind……been out of the game too long :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

No.

They are a Chrysler/Dodge/AMC/Jeep product, not GM in any way.   Is not the acronym of the maker...
Tis like saying that a LNER pacific was made by the GWR...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

:offtopic:  I've always understood the area to be defined by the accent/dialect - Wednesbury to Darlaston, where even Brummies need an interpreter.  

Because Brummie & Black Country are completely different and distinct accents/dialects. No one from the Black Country sounds terminally suicidal.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

If the flashing reds had started, he would definitely be committing an offence. 

If he passed it at amber he should have stopped if he could safely do so.    

A still photograph doesn't give any clues as to the speed of the train, though the train's equipment should record that and the line speed will be known from the location.  More to the point it doesn't tell us the speed of the car - he might have been going unduly slowly if the crossing looked uneven.  The forward-facing CCTV could of course show the complete opposite.  You really need to see the motion footage to assess how close an incident it was.

• Agree 3

On 18/11/2021 at 14:52, Michael Hodgson said:

If the flashing reds had started, he would definitely be committing an offence. 

If he passed it at amber he should have stopped if he could safely do so.    

A still photograph doesn't give any clues as to the speed of the train, though the train's equipment should record that and the line speed will be known from the location.  More to the point it doesn't tell us the speed of the car - he might have been going unduly slowly if the crossing looked uneven.  The forward-facing CCTV could of course show the complete opposite.  You really need to see the motion footage to assess how close an incident it was.

But the point is that that pic does NOT look scary to the layman so its not going to help a safety campaign.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

22/11/2021 23:30 - 22/11/2121 04:30.

From 11.30 pm today to 4.30 am today?? I know that day ticket validity extends beyond the midnight hour, but that does not change the calendar, even for the railways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

From 11.30 pm today to 4.30 am today?? I know that day ticket validity extends beyond the midnight hour, but that does not change the calendar, even for the railways.

I was choosing to interpret the sign as indicating that the road would be closed for five hours under a century.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I was choosing to interpret the sign as indicating that the road would be closed for five hours under a century.

I missed the changing century! It's highly likely that this area will be under the sea by then, making third-rail electrification somewhat dodgy, even on a heritage seaside railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Another idiot from the US , No not Ashland again but Flagstaff AZ:

If that’s a breakdown service/security whatever they sure get there faster than we ever could!

Maybe they just got lucky.