Katier

Level crossing stupidity...

Very, very firmly indeed. I am struggling to understand how you can justify it operationally, it's those darn bean counters striking again.

• Agree 2

Concentration of signalling in fewer locations, each covering an ever larger area, has been going on for a long time ! For example, Motherwell SC, opened in 1974, controlled the WCML from Kirkpatrick, north of Gretna Jc, to Cambuslang, outside Glasgow, 86 route miles, plus the complicated areas around Motherwell and Mossend, with a total of 741 signalled routes. The operational and yes, economic benefits of such methods are huge. It is of course vital however that signalling staff are fully trained and assessed on the area(s) they control, and that features such as LCs with abnormal traffic are recognised and briefed to all concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Richard E said:

York will cover Kings Cross to Edinburgh. I'm sure that they'll know everything that is needed about crossings that carry large or slow loads crossing the railway. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png

Marshall Meadows (the LNE/Scotland Route boundary) to Edinburgh is controlled from Edinburgh SC and that is unlikely to change. Plus, it might be the case that in such a large SC as York Signallers will not cover every Workstation. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Australian idiots.

https://www.thesenior.com.au/story/6332540/watch-the-dangerous-double-cross-in-front-of-two-trains/

Other incidents have links within the article.

Runners/joggers are second only to cyclists

for ignoring rules of the road, other users etc.

Ok, I'm generalizing i know but there are 

offenders in both groups.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, rab said:

If it's any consolation, many cyclists act without consideration towards other cyclists too. It's not 'cos they're cyclists, it's' cos they're self-centred gits who happen to cycle. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

Concentrating on getting from A to B as quickly as possible and hang the rest of us, plenty of motorists as well...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Concentrating on getting from A to B as quickly as possible and hang the rest of us, plenty of motorists as well...

True, but the worst offenders I come across are weekend leisure riders on the cycle trail I use to commute to work. I've started to lose count of the number I've encountered on Saturday and Sunday mornings (I work weekends) , oncoming two abreast on narrow sections, who appear to expect me to become one with a rock wall, or levitate off the side of a steep embankment so as to make way for them. You'd think that there'd be less pressure on a recreational ride, but apparently that's not the case. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, PatB said:

True, but the worst offenders I come across are weekend leisure riders on the cycle trail I use to commute to work. I've started to lose count of the number I've encountered on Saturday and Sunday mornings (I work weekends) , oncoming two abreast on narrow sections, who appear to expect me to become one with a rock wall, or levitate off the side of a steep embankment so as to make way for them. You'd think that there'd be less pressure on a recreational ride, but apparently that's not the case. 

In two weeks I have found one who cant stop at Traffic Lights and another who does not know how to give way at a roundabout but this was a normal day!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PatB said:

Worst I had was two cyclists in a Country Park, I was on the footpath/cyclepath (the paths are used as both) and they were cycling abreast. They gave me three choices, stay where I was and get hit, dive into a bed of nettles or jump in the lake. No contest, I stayed where I was going as close to the edge as I dared and one of them ended up on the floor having caught me with the end of her handlebars ...

• Like 6

Golf umbrellas make very useful additions to a walkers wardrobe, just be careful you don't have it open at their head height or catch the metal tip in their spokes    :devil:  .  Even worse is to inconsiderately hold said article of apparel horizontally (see knights of old jousting) in your hand closer to the cyclists  :sorry: .  Of course the reverse happens when the cyclists need umbrellas to keep them dry.

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, rab said:

There are offenders in ALL groups of road users.

• Agree 10

3 hours ago, rab said:

And motorists are second to none in the number of men, women and children they kill and maim every single day.

• Agree 4

26 minutes ago, caradoc said:

And motorists are second to none in the number of men, women and children they kill and maim every single day.

The only time I have had to jump into a hedge was due to a motorist coming round a bend too fast. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Ok I apologise, both for my remarks,

and for taking the thread off topic

Lets leave it there shall we.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Going back to the Bagult crossing incident, I noticed that the signaller at the work station had previously worked two mechanical boxes in NORFOLK!

If a train crew is supposed to have route knowledge, would it be an idea for the signallers responsible for a route to also study, and sign for, the route knowledge?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Catkins said:

Going back to the Bagult crossing incident, I noticed that the signaller at the work station had previously worked two mechanical boxes in NORFOLK!

If a train crew is supposed to have route knowledge, would it be an idea for the signallers responsible for a route to also study, and sign for, the route knowledge?

for a time on the manchester area we did just that signalers would be issued with a cab pass and spend a day running over various routes associated with theyre box quite enjoyed my various cab rides over the hope valley when i signed Newmills south jn 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Catkins said:

Maybe not sign for route knowledge to the same level as Drivers, but Signallers must certainly know the areas they control, and cab rides should form part of that (and the inevitable conversations and sharing of knowledge between Drivers and Signallers  are a Good Thing too). In the same way, Drivers should be invited to visit the signalboxes controlling the routes they work over.

(There were certainly regular visits by Drivers to Control during my time there, which were a benefit to both parties).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

Yet another car driver learns the hard way not to ignore red traffic lights. 

Jim

We assume........

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I'm quite surprised it derailed the tram, must have been a fairly hefty impact.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I'm quite surprised it derailed the tram, must have been a fairly hefty impact.

The car did end up on its roof.

• Agree 1

I'm not sure if it did, they had to cut the roof off and it is shown on its side in one early photo, the top of the roof looks pretty much in tact as well, without any scrapes. Looks like it was deflect onto its side by the impact.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

I'm not sure if it did, they had to cut the roof off and it is shown on its side in one early photo, the top of the roof looks pretty much in tact as well, without any scrapes. Looks like it was deflect onto its side by the impact.

Says so here, so it must be true.  I did not read the linked article above, huge great cookie box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1