Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

If you watch the video closely, a fair proportion of the trucks that hit the bridge seemed to be running the amber light anyway!  (I think the one at about 3:30 was clearly pushing his luck.)

One could get the impression that "white truck man" is the U.S. equivalent of "white van man" over here for poor decision making behind the wheel.

Other videos of that same US bridge, show a lot of large caravans with their air-conditioners getting scraped off!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Looks a bit old to be described as a kid but on a bike far too small for him. At any rate another blithering idiot, although not quite as much as some because at least he looked a bit, not when and where he should've been and not very well but just enough to save his life.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

I bet mummy had to wash his trousers!:)

Feel for the driver, he had no way of knowing the outcome until stopped or reported to........idiots like that should cycle off cliffs, not under trains!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Can't seem to get the Google Streetview car to position itself under the bridge. As much as I try.

I'd say it looks possible.

If you look really closely, you can see the camera equipment laying on the ground slightly crunched :D

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Looks a bit old to be described as a kid but on a bike far too small for him. At any rate another blithering idiot, although not quite as much as some because at least he looked a bit, not when and where he should've been and not very well but just enough to save his life.

Doesn't know his green cross code:jester:

He seemed to look left first, then right almost at the point the train arrives.

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Can't seem to get the Google Streetview car to position itself under the bridge. As much as I try.

I'd say it looks possible.

7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

If you look really closely, you can see the camera equipment laying on the ground slightly crunched

Ah, that'll be me then. Oops.

Edited by Damo666
Silly typo mistake
  • Funny 2

On 23 October 2019 at 10:14, Wickham Green said:

There's obviously a detector that switches on the big illuminated sign telling overheight vehicles to turn - why not wire that into the 'stop' phase of the traffic lights too ??!?

If the US authorities are anything like those in the UK, getting a traffic authority to indulge in joined up thinking with the railway (railroad) operator is well nigh impossible, however desirable and logical it may be.

It's not just with traffic lights either. The same situation exists with level crossings, where the best approach to barrier dodging involves alterations to the highway outside of the railway's boundary.

Jim

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

If the US authorities are anything like those in the UK, getting a traffic authority to indulge in joined up thinking with the railway (railroad) operator is well nigh impossible, however desirable and logical it may be.

Jim

Where does the Railway/railroad come into this? It's purely a road based problem.

Also the traffic lights are linked to the overheight detector as mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Where does the Railway/railroad come into this? It's purely a road based problem.

Also the traffic lights are linked to the overheight detector as mentioned earlier.

It's the railway that is trying to protect its own bridge. 

And, yes, I failed to spot the earlier post about the sign and the lights eventually being linked. That's down to the perils of not reading the posts every day and linking back to an earlier post.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

It's the railway that is trying to protect its own bridge. 

And, yes, I failed to spot the earlier post about the sign and the lights eventually being linked. That's down to the perils of not reading the posts every day and linking back to an earlier post.

Jim

I wonder who is responsible for most of the bridges over roads in the US?

The Railway/Railroad was often there first and the road came later, unlike the UK when it is the other way around.

The UK railways were required to build and maintain a bridge (or sometimes a level crossing) over the highway if they wanted to cross it.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, duncan said:

no helmet, looks like the bike was not roadworthy, teenager riding on the road illegally ?

D*£&#ead on a Chinese mini bike by the looks of it. Lots of them over here too. Very common immediately after Christmas, then steadily reducing in numbers over the year as the machinery succumbs to poor build quality, 14 year old mechanical sympathy, lack of maintenance and dodgy "performance" modifications. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder who is responsible for most of the bridges over roads in the US?

The Railway/Railroad was often there first and the road came later, unlike the UK when it is the other way around.

The UK railways were required to build and maintain a bridge (or sometimes a level crossing) over the highway if they wanted to cross it.

There are a number of road over rail bridges that are  not the responsibility of Network Rail because the road was built over the existing railway.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 96701 said:

There are a number of road over rail bridges that are  not the responsibility of Network Rail because the road was built over the existing railway.

The colour of the bridge number plate shows ownership!

White Railway

Red Private

Blue Motorways

Mark Saunders

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, 96701 said:

There are also a few rail over road bridges where the road came second.  The Marchwood bypass under the Totton Hythe and Fawley line is an example.  It was quite a tricky operation and provision was made for dualling the road and the railway (however unlikely the latter might be).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 96701 said:

Yes I know that. Motorways and suchlike.

I assume the same if an existing railway has to have a road underbridge.

The original bridges when the road was in place are the responsibility of the railways (now NR)

• Like 1