Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

The air bag mechanism isn't optimised for shocks in the vertical direction?

They are deployed during roll over, this impact just didn’t register as severe enough.....not enough G shock.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The air bag mechanism isn't optimised for shocks in the vertical direction?

Maybe. And odd that the undercarriage landing gear also doesn't appear to have been deployed. Had 'gear down' been selected? That'll be the first thing the crash investigators check.

;-)

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The car must have been going reasonably quickly to not just end up nose down in the ballast.

And as pointed out on Twitter, no damage to the platform edge either, you would expect scraping if it was going slow enough to nose dive, hence why I too think it must have been going some! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Dagworth said:

How did that wire fence ever pass a risk assessment? 

Andi

Would it require a risk assessment ? The vehicle came from a car park, so a low-speed road, and the direction of travel is parallel to the railway, cars being parked against the fence. Although perhaps after this incident further precautions will be looked at ! 

13 hours ago, bigherb said:

Being where it is, is that one of the station staffs car?

Why should it be, it came from a public car park ?

8 hours ago, 96701 said:

So I assume that it has reversed onto the track.

No, driven directly forward from the  car park onto the line. 

Perhaps the driver has simply pressed the accelerator instead of the brake and then panicked, a not unknown scenario. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

From the Google street view linked by ajwfcc, it looks like there is a concrete kerb at least 100mm high at the edge of the car park, so must have taken some welly to get over that.  (Our local station car park has Armco barriers in a similar location.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Perhaps the driver has simply pressed the accelerator instead of the brake and then panicked, a not unknown scenario. 

Exactly so, no high speed needed just continuous mistaken pressing of the loud pedal, usually on an automatic driven by a certain demographic :pleasantry:

we we used to get many complaints after accidents that the vehicle “shot forward” even though the driver was “pressing the brake pedal” after much investigation there was never any evidence of the vehicle being able to drive itself .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

But don’t you just love speculative threads? :lol:

Took a wrong turn in Edinburg and was trying a 3 point turn?

Would explain a lot of the above.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

But don’t you just love speculative threads? :lol:

what did I start posting that tweet!

for fullness here is where the car entered the platform, no expert but looking at the tyre tracks it looks to be have been wheel spinning up the curve and through ‘the gravel trap’

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

As before interesting to see if it was an auto.......then a “whoops” foot on the accel instead of brake would make sense.

Although looking in detail at the interior pictures it looks like a manual stick, but difficult to tell nowadays.......big door speakers though.......maybe it was a young inexperienced driver instead?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

for fullness here is where the car entered the platform, no expert but looking at the tyre tracks it looks to be have been wheel spinning up the curve and through ‘the gravel trap’

At least they missed the planter box!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

There is a hole in the fence,  police are looking into it!

Waited years to say that!

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

It's easy to put an auto in the wrong section and unlike a manual there nothing to stop you doing it like having to lift or depress the lever to get it into reverse. 

Oh yes there is! My Rover 75, and its predeccesor, Rover 827, has a button to lift before moving the stick to reverse. And I had to drive a number of cars when fitting 2-way radio a few years ago, I don't remember any that didn't have one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4