3 hours ago, Ben B said:

It does strike me as odd though in a country though where the car is king like the US that there's still places like this, where the railway line runs down main street.  It seems like the sort of thing that should have gone out with the Wild Wild West.

As Reorte says -  the car may be king for passenger transport, but US Railroads are heavily biased towards freight, totally different outlook to UK railways.

"That sort of thing" i.e. street running, came in with the Wild West, more or less. Unlike in the UK, where railways were built to serve towns & villages that had already existed for centurys (& often the railways couldn't get near the town due to landowner objections) in the USA the Railroads often came first; towns being built around them. Though not always the case, the typical US 'grid' system of town planning also makes it easier for trains running down the middle of Main Street.

There is great reward to be had in taking an interest in trains beyond Britain. ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Isn't it heresy to suggest such things in the 'UK Prototype Discussions' thread ??!?

Huh, a great many UK railway enthusiasts/modellers would consider it heresy to even think such a thing in the first place!!! :nono:  :rolleyes:  :sarcastichand:

Anyway it wasn't me who posted a US grade crossing incident in a UK Protoype section.... ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Huh, a great many UK railway enthusiasts/modellers would consider it heresy to even think such a thing in the first place!!! :nono:  :rolleyes:  :sarcastichand:

Anyway it wasn't me who posted a US grade crossing incident in a UK Protoype section.... ;)

Shhhhhhhh - I thought I'd got away with it amongst the gearbox waffle.

• Funny 10
7 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

There is great reward to be had in taking an interest in trains beyond Britain. ;)

Sometimes a lesson on how things can be done better, other things, not so.

• Agree 2
15 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Well, the great G. J. Churchward certainly thought so!

• Agree 3
7 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Not a level crossing, but total stupidity that came close to being a tragedy

That is horrifying.  What a family of idiots, and sending the wrong message to their kids.  I'd expect that sort of thing on some unfenced line in the middle of the desert, but that looks to be an elevated, suburban mainline, fenced-off too.

Mindyou, I live near the KWVR, and have had to report the same trespassing on the line about three weeks in a row, a teenage lad who stomps up the line with his hood up.  Must be a local given how often I've seen him.  It would be bad enough on weekdays when there's only the odd engineering train running, but this was weekends when they were still running a two-train service, so something running every 40 minutes or so.  Someone I spoke to (another local resident) reckons its the grown-up kids of families whose own parents were used to using the line as a shortcut.  He speculated that we're probably on the second or maybe even third generation of trespassers, who've grown up thinking it's normal...

• Informative/Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Ben B said:

That is horrifying.  What a family of idiots, and sending the wrong message to their kids.  I'd expect that sort of thing on some unfenced line in the middle of the desert, but that looks to be an elevated, suburban mainline, fenced-off too.

Mindyou, I live near the KWVR, and have had to report the same trespassing on the line about three weeks in a row, a teenage lad who stomps up the line with his hood up.  Must be a local given how often I've seen him.  It would be bad enough on weekdays when there's only the odd engineering train running, but this was weekends when they were still running a two-train service, so something running every 40 minutes or so.  Someone I spoke to (another local resident) reckons its the grown-up kids of families whose own parents were used to using the line as a shortcut.  He speculated that we're probably on the second or maybe even third generation of trespassers, who've grown up thinking it's normal...

The dress of that family looks to be Amish to me (no powered devices), they may be out towners.  They would have to have got there by horse carriage though.

• Like 3
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

The dress of that family looks to be Amish to me (no powered devices), they may be out towners.  They would have to have got there by horse carriage though.

How does the teenager in jeans and sweatshirt power his camera?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
29 minutes ago, teaky said:

How does the teenager in jeans and sweatshirt power his camera?

By the power of his belief, of course......    come along now......  catch up with real  USA religious fervour!

Julian

• Funny 6
26 minutes ago, petethemole said:

They don't look like Amish; another source (daily Fail) suggests they were Mennonites (similar theological origins as Amish but less strict) who are widespread in Pennsylvania.

Not quite sure why which particular branch of a religion matters when looking at the behaviour of pillocks...

Julian

• Agree 5
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

They don't look like Amish; another source (daily Fail) suggests they were Mennonites (similar theological origins as Amish but less strict) who are widespread in Pennsylvania.

The Railcam in view is Greencastle PA

• Like 1
15 hours ago, petethemole said:

The family's dress style suggests that they believe their lives are in the hands of a higher power.

Maybe, but once they knew the train was coming, their belief in a 'higher power' to protect them, vanished quick smart!

• Agree 3
15 hours ago, petethemole said:

Whoever they were, clearly they had never seen a railway line before and were unaware of its purpose; There cannot be any other explanation for their idiotic behaviour ? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Whoever they were, clearly they had never seen a railway line before and were unaware of its purpose; There cannot be any other explanation for their idiotic behaviour ? 

Their behaviour reminded me of Harry Enfields Aliens 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1