Level crossing stupidity...

A couple of gate weavers from the Revelstoke cam, taken on two consecutive days - the trains will only be 20-30mph due to local restrictions, but they can sill make a mess.

The illumination from the left on the bottom pair of images is the headlight of the oncoming train...

Revelstoke Crossing Jumper 1.jpg

Revelstoke Crossing Jumper 2.jpg

Revelstoke Crossing Jumper 3.jpg

Revelstoke Crossing Jumper 4.jpg

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, newbryford said:

It probably seemed a good idea at the time.............. (not)

IMG-20210114-WA0008.jpg.791cb1fa096cbe442dd397b4516b51df.jpg

this has proper blown up on Twitter with someone posting links to his Instagram page showing a good 1/2 dozen other sports cars posed in the same position on the same crossing, so not a one off occurrence it would seem

Funny if the next train round the corner was this....

1Z99 at Hindlow Quarry with 56096 and 56087

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

16 hours ago, melmerby said:

You can tell the sort they are from the number plate which has had the characters doctored to provide the desired "personalised" effect.

15 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

You can tell from a numberplate? Blimey!

God forbid there is a space in the wrong place, they must be a wrongun!  Pshhh.

49 minutes ago, big jim said:

this has proper blown up on Twitter with someone posting links to his Instagram page showing a good 1/2 dozen other sports cars posed in the same position on the same crossing, so not a one off occurrence it would seem

@Erixtar1992 (bold added) Case Closed, I believe. :declare: :yes:  ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

According to BTP on Twitter they are investigating the matter

also the girl who’s car is in the initial post has deleted her Twitter and Instagram accounts today 

My tweet of the day about it goes to this one....

B451D460-EDC7-4B1E-BBB8-7D225B5B4BA2.jpeg.56ef8efedb276ebc7fca570f9491521b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Haha! 

it was a taxi driver taking me to my next job, as soon as he asked that i felt like walking may have been the better option!

When taxi drivers ask what the hardest part of the job is I say “balancing the train in the rails” 

some get it, others don’t! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

22 hours ago, Titan said:

Just wondering, has anyone actually been injured or killed as a result of trying to use a level crossing as a photo opportunity? 

I've a recollection of reading about a wedding shoot taking place on a railway line which ended in tragedy for at least one of the couple :-(

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Reorte said:

Throwing an idea out (that I've thrown out before), but could it be worth paying heritage railways to do a bit of an educational program? Have school kids (although it seems like adults need it too) on and ask them when to apply the brakes to stop at that bridge ahead, and see the train go a significant distance past even at 25 mph from when they're likely to have said. Although maybe you don't even need that, since everyone seems to know that big heavy oil tankers take miles to stop.

At one time as a 'safety education' activity for Boys' Brigade I set up an activity on one of the train simulators on my laptop with a pedestrian stood in the 4', with the Boys having to take an HST up to 125mph, then slam on the brakes when they saw the pedestrian. Unfortunately I don't think I ever got round to using it with them to see what their reaction was.

I think I've mentioned in the past having a cab ride on the C&WR when someone drove across the line straight in front of us. As we knew who it was, I considered suggesting that we offer him a driving experience to find out how far the train needs to stop.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

Funny if the next train round the corner was this....

Huh, the last time I saw one of them was in Hazel Grove a few years ago (albeit with a 37 instead). Passed it on the way in, we sat at the platform for a while, it eventually pulled out alongside, but went nowhere. Neither did we. Ended up with an 8 mile walk home in the snow. Oh well, these things happen from time to time, and since the pubs were open (remember those days?) I rather enjoyed it.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2021 at 09:16, corneliuslundie said:

Re the last video a couple of comments.

2. Unusual to see ten locomotives o0n a train. If that many were needed I would have expected them to be spread through the train. Perhaps just positioning moves for some of them.

Jonathan

Not unusual at the moment.

A lot of locos are being/have been moved to storage sites due to the downfall in traffic.

Some could be loss of balancing workings meaning return of locos in trains of other cargo.

There have been several "trains" of up to 28 locos on the move with only some of the end ones under power. most have the exhaust capped.

I thin I may have posted this before somewhere:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, talisman56 said:

I don't think that is where you wait for the train to pass - Revelstoke yesterday...

And if you don't want to wait because it's game time....

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 15/01/2021 at 10:17, Reorte said:

Throwing an idea out (that I've thrown out before), but could it be worth paying heritage railways to do a bit of an educational program? Have school kids (although it seems like adults need it too) on and ask them when to apply the brakes to stop at that bridge ahead, and see the train go a significant distance past even at 25 mph from when they're likely to have said. Although maybe you don't even need that, since everyone seems to know that big heavy oil tankers take miles to stop.

Following a series of road / incidents on their Scunthorpe steel works,  British Steel bought a scrap Metro and placed it on one of the crossings. They filmed what happened when a works loco ( a Hunslet Bo-Bo) approached it and slammed on the brakes just before the crossing (to simulate somebody trying to beat the train). The Metro was badly damaged and pushed down the track a fair distance, even though the loco was doing 10mph.

They used the film as part of the safety inductions. Did it make any difference ???

No, some people just don't get the dangers.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, newbryford said:

And if you don't want to wait because it's game time....

The eastbound trains at Revelstoke stop for crew change and block the crossing in the cam for about 5 minutes - if you're a local you know this, but you still see them climbing over the wagons...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

Following a series of road / incidents on their Scunthorpe steel works,  British Steel bought a scrap Metro and placed it on one of the crossings. They filmed what happened when a works loco ( a Hunslet Bo-Bo) approached it and slammed on the brakes just before the crossing (to simulate somebody trying to beat the train). The Metro was badly damaged and pushed down the track a fair distance, even though the loco was doing 10mph.

They used the film as part of the safety inductions. Did it make any difference ???

No, some people just don't get the dangers.

I think there's quite a bit of difference in seeing something first-hand, or better still experiencing it first hand where possible (e.g. put the brake on yourself and fail to stop) and seeing a video, especially in this day and age where there are messages on screen constantly. Danger is something that needs to be experienced first-hand I think (or at least something that gives the impression of it without actually being it, don't want to really put people in danger to get the message across).

A long time ago, when I was still a fairly small child, we were at a preserved railway and there was a loco being moved around not that far from me. And seeing that from ground level really gave an impression of big and unstoppable and scary (in my memory we were just standing clear, but surely even back in the 80s that would've been a bit much to allow the public to stand there, so it may be mistaken). It left that impression, of trains being big scary things that could crush me without noticing, and even standing in front of one in a place like the hall in the NRM leaves me slightly uneasy to this day. Which I think is a good thing.

Of course there are always a few who'll never get the message whatever you do.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, talisman56 said:

The eastbound trains at Revelstoke stop for crew change and block the crossing in the cam for about 5 minutes - if you're a local you know this, but you still see them climbing over the wagons...

...to which I can't help but wonder: Why?! Why is that allowed, the risks are obvious, as well as the disruption, there must be a safer and less disruptive alternative, especially when the result is pretty predictable on a busy day like that.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Not many people actually need to cross there as it's only the access to the Revelstoke Railway Museum and just a handful of properties.

image.png.4e075ed5e29c959c1fd16d1a90717413.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not many people actually need to cross there as it's only the access to the Revelstoke Railway Museum and just a handful of properties.

image.png.4e075ed5e29c959c1fd16d1a90717413.png

Go about 3/4 mile off to the South-East and there's a bridge if you're in a hurry...

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1