Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

Ive seen some pics of the inside of the cab, the driver will be picking hey out of his clothes and hair for months!

The loco is in a right mess but stood up to the impact very well

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Its strange... last month I mentioned to a colleague  in the box that we hadn't hit any tractors for a long time and we were due one... I'm hoping that everyone is ok in this clash.

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

Its strange... last month I mentioned to a colleague  in the box that we hadn't hit any tractors for a long time and we were due one... I'm hoping that everyone is ok in this clash.

Andy G

Technically a train still hasn't!

Tractor driver was fine (apart from shock) as the tractor was safely over the railway - it was the trailer full of hay which took the impact. The train driver was less fortunate - but his quick action in diving into the engine room meant we are talking cuts, bruises and shock.

The RAIB and ORR came out to investigate and wouldn't let anything be touched until they had gathered the required evidence so we will get a proper investigation report published in due course.

Infrastructure wise 50-chains of track and associated S&T kit needs replacing while extracting the train is a challenge due to several rails being broken underneath the wagons.

Initial thoughts are it will be Monday at the earliest before the line will be re-opened

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

My wife asked what I’d have done in that situation and like the driver appears to have done today, it would have been hit the emergency plunger then run like hell into the engine room, I ain’t no hero! 

noticed on some pics I got from work colleagues the detailed wagons appear to be the brand new eco-frets that GB have only been running a few months 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 02/07/2020 at 12:10, ianwales said:

As far as I am aware there are no dedicated lines everything goes via BT, on a daily basis I get phone calls which begin "Is there a train coming, I want to cross the line" I have to find out where the person is in order to grant or refuse, I was at a briefing some time ago on the subject of user worked crossings where the signaller took the information from the light on his phone concentrator and allowed someone to cross resulting in a near miss because of a crossed phone line, hence I NEED the user to tell me verbally which crossing they want to use. From personal experience I find if I explain why I need the information then the person on the other end is more than happy to work with me to ensure safety.

As an aside and with regard to the use of BT lines, when the NSTR signalling was put in on the Central Wales line in the late 80's the S&T department were baffled for months by an intermittent failure of the token instruments between Llandovery and Llanwrtyd, it would fail several times a week, then work perfectly a week or so before going into a round of failures again, this went on for months on end until someone discovered the BT lines from Llandovery were routed via the telephone exchange in Merthyr and the failures were due to  BT engineer switching equipment off for maintainence without knowing there were BR signalling lines in the circuit.

Ian

May be on BT still in some areas but I have personally moved many crossing phones onto NR infrastructure including UWC on the Cambrian.

I was also involved with moving the Central Wales token machines from BT to NR telecommunications a couple of years ago 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/07/2020 at 17:34, Richard E said:

And another one decides to do battle with the barriers. One of the busiest crossings in the UK I believe.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/driver-arrested-after-crash-causes-thousands-pounds-damage-peterborough-level-crossing-2929968

I was at Helpston the other night and waited 15 mins for the barriers to open, despite being able to see cars crossing at Maxey Road crossing.

the crossing box operator had forgotten to open them!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

And I bet everyone in the queue still had their foot on the brake, in gear, with the engine running?

I don't, why would you do it? I know most do seem to nowadays ...

I've spent plenty of time at Helpston barriers but I'm more likely to use Maxey Crossing (going north) or Lolham Crossing (going south) these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

And I bet everyone in the queue still had their foot on the brake, in gear, with the engine running?

No, only one car came, waited and turned round. It was nearly 01:00 though

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/04/2021 at 12:25, phil-b259 said:

And what if its an English person who picks up the phone!

There is no requirement that you HAVE to use Welsh in Wales - all the law says is that if the person wants to communicate in Welsh then it should be facilitated by officialdom.

Determination against Welsh speakers, while obviously not being permitted is not the same thing as responding in English if you grew up outside Wales and don't know the language.

Which does rather beg the question if someone applies for a signallers job in Wales do they have to speak Welsh? What about an English signaller looking to relocate?

When I was doing phones at UWC on the Cambrian we would give the signaller a list at the start of the day and ring in from the crossing using its number as we could not pronounce many of them.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

when i learned the cambrian there were iirc 197 numbered crossings between sutton bridge and machynlleth, i used to be able to name about 90% of them, there are only a handful left now but some still stick in my mind, 123-Bullocks was a favorite and post office 1 and 2 near carno which were about 6ft apart 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, LeeWL said:

Talking of crossings, this from last week. Hixon was a bad one.

Stafford train named in memory of 1968 Hixon rail crash | ITV News Central

Hixon was the sad wake up call for BR,  and an indication of how many people with no common sense there were out there, even including the Police, and how hard the battle would be trying to prevent them putting themselves and their vehicles in front of a fast moving train.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Now Tuesday for Kelseys crossing clear up, how many days... non fatal  derailment with track damage and some signalling duffed up, lucky we are not at war is all I can say !! 

Viz Hixon  given it was an off route voyager that got named it did result in wondering if there were 33 other accidents of a serious nature that would warrant a plate on a voyager, on and off XC network- it took a while and a long step back in history.   Previously "policy" has seen crew who died  got commemorated this could be a first to go one step further with location named in memory.

Perhaps folk will see "Hixon" and learn about it and seek the lessons.      

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Now Tuesday for Kelseys crossing clear up, how many days... non fatal  derailment with track damage and some signalling duffed up

As phil-b259 mentions elsewhere, there is track damage beneath the train, which does complicate things.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1