Level crossing stupidity...

I couldn't find the original report done by a local news media. They were leaving a campsite and the road crossed the railway. They were not local but were German. If its the section I think it is its one of the fast sections and the train would have been up around its top speed of around 45kph before braking. The railway runs a regular service every day so I'd be surprised if they weren't aware of it especially as it came to a stop next to the halt that serves the campsite. We shall probably never know why he did it, suffice to say that a narrow gauge loco is just as dangerous as its bigger cousins. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Have we had this one? Not a good reflection on coach drivers...

He's quite lucky it was a short train as there's another inbound crossing the Missouri River bridge in the distance.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

He's quite lucky it was a short train as there's another inbound crossing the Missouri River bridge in the distance.

Shocking driving from the second coach really……at least the third coach waited!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Sort of, he stopped reversed very slightly and the barrier came down on top of the coach!

Exactly…..had he like the second coach just blindly followed the coach in front :wacko:

Maybe it’s that Wild West stage coach mentality, keep together so the Red Skins don’t attack!

• Like 1

All those, identical [appearing?] coaches, looking really clean & bright [no arrows sticking out of the sides??]....Perhaps this was a fleet delivery from a dealer or manufacturer nearby?  [A kind-of US version of Plaxtons?]   Which might explain the lack of concern by the drivers? Or the fact that the leading buses stopped with hazards  [emergency flashers in US parlance...if my Mustang manual is anything to go by? [1967, not this century]] going, indicating perhaps that, aside from the lead driver, nobody else knew where they were going?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, alastairq said:

All those, identical [appearing?] coaches, looking really clean & bright [no arrows sticking out of the sides??]....Perhaps this was a fleet delivery from a dealer or manufacturer nearby?  [A kind-of US version of Plaxtons?]   Which might explain the lack of concern by the drivers? Or the fact that the leading buses stopped with hazards  [emergency flashers in US parlance...if my Mustang manual is anything to go by? [1967, not this century]] going, indicating perhaps that, aside from the lead driver, nobody else knew where they were going?

The road they are coming from is a dead end - probably tourists visiting the old Fort Madison.

https://goo.gl/maps/8BkuhbYUE86WABJf8

(The same coaches - or at least the same company - appeared in a previous grab bag video a few days previously as a convoy crossing right to left)

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

There was a pick-up truck that stopped in front of the second coach that made it stop on the crossing and triggered what followed.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Another example of exiting a level crossing straight onto a road junction. It appears to be quite common in the US. We do have a few examples here in the UK such as Frinton which is safe until someone ignores the yellow box rules.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was a pick-up truck that stopped in front of the second coach that made it stop on the crossing and triggered what followed.

Only because they didn't obey the rule that says not to enter the crossing until the way out is clear...

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2021 at 19:30, Kris said:

Network rail video showing cyclists ignoring red lights at foot crossings. 

On 18/10/2021 at 19:34, Wickham Green too said:

Par for the course, unfortunately.

The same score can also apply to cars, pedestrians, vans, trucks, buses, motor cyclists and coaches and any other road uses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

One from Australia today. Abandoned car left on level crossing.

I would imagine that the angle of the crossing, assisted to tip the power car over.

Update says it was a stolen van.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-20/train-derails-in-the-illawarra-after-hitting-car-abandoned-on-tr/100552436

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

One from Australia today. Abandoned car left on level crossing.

I would imagine that the angle of the crossing, assisted to tip the power car over.

Update says it was a stolen van.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-20/train-derails-in-the-illawarra-after-hitting-car-abandoned-on-tr/100552436

On another note, the train wouldn't win any prizes in a beauty contest!

On 17/10/2021 at 17:22, LMS2968 said:

There are times when humour is appropriate. I don't think this is one of them.

I completely agree.

Totally uncalled for comment by melmerby on an report involving the tragic death of a human being & life threataning injuries to another.

Especially when it is quite clear that the text appears to be a "google" type translation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2