Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

Hi

A little tip when working with super glue is to where surgical gloves,as the vapours stick to the moister in you skin,So when you pick up anything you figures have micro amounts of glue on them.

Another little tip for glue bottle's., is to make a holder out of a loo roll ,glued to a wide card base,Has saved me many times from spilling the glue all over the place.

I was once working on a kit and was holding a very small part in my tweezers ,when twinge the small part shot out and up into the air,the thing was the small part had a drop of super glue on it.

Spent ages looking for it and in the end gave up.

It was later that day when my parter said I had something stuck to my beard!.

Darren

I had made a handy dandy solvent bottle holder from Das modelling clay. But after time, I became blase and, despite some small incidents which should have served to warn me, continued not to use the solvent holder.

A couple of weeks ago, I aimed the brush into the bottle mouth, missed and tipped the entire bottle over. Result: melted model, ruined cutting mat and a melted netbook, which was also on the workbench at the time. This was only a week old. I also had to evacuate the workshop for a few hours while the solvent evaporated with the windows open. Amazingly, once I had prised the keys apart with a scalpel, the netbook still works, although my SD card is welded in permanently!! Now using the solvent holder!

cheers,

Iain

Hi

A little tip when working with super glue is to where surgical gloves,as the vapours stick to the moister in you skin,So when you pick up anything you figures have micro amounts of glue on them.

Another little tip for glue bottle's., is to make a holder out of a loo roll ,glued to a wide card base,Has saved me many times from spilling the glue all over the place.

I was once working on a kit and was holding a very small part in my tweezers ,when twinge the small part shot out and up into the air,the thing was the small part had a drop of super glue on it.

Spent ages looking for it and in the end gave up.

It was later that day when my parter said I had something stuck to my beard!.

Darren

Hi Darren,

I hope you cleaned the superglue from your fingers before attempting to remove the item from your beard, unlike this clumsy idiot...

post-10855-0-00758300-1365598795.png

A friend of mine who works for a computer manufacturer in the States recounted the following conversation between customer services and a purchaser.

Support:     " Ah Good afternoon Mr xxxx, I'm calling about the laptop computer you sent in for warranty repair"

Customer:  " Oh great. I hope you can fix it"

Support:     " Sir, it appears to have been crushed?"

Customer   " Um ya, I ran over it with my truck."

Support      " You ran over it? How did that happen sir?"

Customer   " Well I forgot that I left it on the driveway, and I reversed over it"

Support      " You left your laptop on the driveway? Why did you do that sir?"

Customer   " I left it there to dry out, and forgot about it"

Support      " Why did it need to dry out sir?"

Customer   " I needed to dry it out after I spilled Coke in it"

A friend of mine who works for a computer manufacturer in the States recounted the following conversation between customer services and a purchaser.

Support:     " Ah Good afternoon Mr xxxx, I'm calling about the laptop computer you sent in for warranty repair"

Customer:  " Oh great. I hope you can fix it"

Support:     " Sir, it appears to have been crushed?"

Customer   " Um ya, I ran over it with my truck."

Support      " You ran over it? How did that happen sir?"

Customer   " Well I forgot that I left it on the driveway, and I reversed over it"

Support      " You left your laptop on the driveway? Why did you do that sir?"

Customer   " I left it there to dry out, and forgot about it"

Support      " Why did it need to dry out sir?"

Customer   " I needed to dry it out after I spilled Coke in it"

Although obviously very clumsy, the client clearly was not a railway modeller, as:

1. All of the parts would not have been recovered (Lost under work bench, in beard etc)

2. The computer would have been drowned in real ale and not Coke.

• RMweb Gold

Although obviously very clumsy, the client clearly was not a railway modeller, as:

1. All of the parts would not have been recovered (Lost under work bench, in beard etc)

2. The computer would have been drowned in real ale and not Coke.

That's so true.

• RMweb Premium

Note to self:

A Hot Air Gun does not provide a gentle drying breeze ,whilst attempting to the hasten the drying of pva, as 80mm of melted Ratio fencing will prove.

Well I can burn things with mine, last used to heat shrink wiring on my car, prior to that to plastic weld the caravan - cracks in the panel, also used to resurrect a broken games console to get the saves off it

My latest was my inadvertent creation of expensive confetti.

I printed out a batch of homemade 2mm transfers for a rake of cct's. I cut them all out closely but after trying one out I realised they needed more varnish as a carrier. So I put them all, a couple of dozen, on some newspaper and as soon as I pressed the button on the aerosol they erupted like snow in a novelty shaker. I just stood there motionless until they settled around and on me, most of them sticky side down.

Paul

My latest was my inadvertent creation of expensive confetti.

I printed out a batch of homemade 2mm transfers for a rake of cct's. I cut them all out closely but after trying one out I realised they needed more varnish as a carrier. So I put them all, a couple of dozen, on some newspaper and as soon as I pressed the button on the aerosol they erupted like snow in a novelty shaker. I just stood there motionless until they settled around and on me, most of them sticky side down.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have attached a typical modellers wedding. I believe the transfers are 7mm presflo transfers though...

PS: Notice he has not removed his beard!!

post-10855-0-90097400-1365768645.png

I'm not clumsy, just thoughtless. although i have many a tale to tell and i am a beginner :) most recent was soldering some wire to my plunger pickups which required speed & accuracy so for the accuracy i held my soldering iron between  thumb and forefinger, Is ok it was my left hand and the blisters have healed, DONT mention plunger pick up springs to me please :) 

Grasshopper John.

Archived