Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

• RMweb Premium

The moebius strip has always fascinated me, especially when I found out that if you cut one lengthways you end up with two joined together like links in a chain.

A case of simple things amusing simple minds I suppose.

A warning to all Clumsy Club members thinking of trying this; the above exercise involves the use of scissors which can be sharp - you have been warned!

Apparently  .............    after several sessions looking at their properties [i.e. - different numbers of twists and numbers of faces to the strip]  .................    :paint:

the only use we found for these items   ....................   was a triangular section Fan Belt, with one twist, so it wore evenly on the single face produced  .........     :scratchhead:   ............    and I still maintain that the additional heat build up from the additional twisting in the motion would contribute to more wear than would be saved by distributing the normal wear over the [1] face   .........   :jester:  :jester:

I did, later, find another use   .......................    keeping kids quiet in a class, when I wanted to write reports     ...............    just give out the strips and some Gloy and retire peacefully to my desk  ....    :sungum:

Hi J,

Just dusted off this old pic of the kids in your class room. They were clearly suitably kitted out in PPE in readiness for the inevitable clumsiness :jester:  :jester:

post-10855-0-06918800-1421494541.jpg

Did you try cutting it 1/3 of the way across and continuing all the way round?

The moebius strip has always fascinated me, especially when I found out that if you cut one lengthways you end up with two joined together like links in a chain.
A case of simple things amusing simple minds I suppose.

A warning to all Clumsy Club members thinking of trying this; the above exercise involves the use of scissors which can be sharp - you have been warned!

.....     I only ask because we did   ....    :sungum:   ..................................................................................                  ...............................    and I can't remember what the heck happens  ....    :jester:  :jester:

Yes, indeed  .....   I remember the little dears so well  ..........      

Hi J,

Just dusted off this old pic of the kids in your class room. They were clearly suitably kitted out in PPE in readiness for the inevitable clumsiness :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gifclumsy class.jpg

One of the more successful year groups   ............     here is a later picture

15679794613_dc81a60eb6.jpg
class tea party by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

........    I worked hard to bring out their true inner-selves      .....    and very successfully too in my humble opinion   ......   

They always remained very good friends and were often back into school with a few well received words of thanks for the work I did for them  ....

One of the more successful even sent me a picture of their latest Reunion party  ....   so thoughtful and kind   .........

16112313010_26d66da0e7.jpg
Class reunion by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Aaahh    ..............   such memories, eh  ....    :sungum:

There is really only one answer   .............

Did you try cutting it 1/3 of the way across and continuing all the way round?

.....     I only ask because we did   ....    :sungum:   ..................................................................................                  ...............................    and I can't remember what the heck happens  ....    :jester:  :jester:

...............    at great personal risk bearing in mind that both glue and scissors were involved   .....    braced and ready  ...........   I reached for the paper    ......  someone has to do it  ...

16112434970_4406fd6367_c.jpg
Someone had to by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The small one remains with a single twist / surface  ....      

...   but   .....    the longer one has formed a double twist   ..    making 2 surfaces  ........ 

15677464324_fd0d47e57d_c.jpg
With Bug by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

both effects can be seen by following the thin trail left by the checking beetle I sent round the strips - just follow the lines  ...    :sungum:

As far as I can tell  ..   absolutely no use for it what-so-ever  ......    :scratchhead:

Yes, indeed  .....   I remember the little dears so well  ..........      

One of the more successful year groups   ............     here is a later picture

15679794613_dc81a60eb6.jpg

class tea party by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

........    I worked hard to bring out their true inner-selves      .....    and very successfully too in my humble opinion   ......   

They always remained very good friends and were often back into school with a few well received words of thanks for the work I did for them  ....

One of the more successful even sent me a picture of their latest Reunion party  ....   so thoughtful and kind   .........

16112313010_26d66da0e7.jpg

Class reunion by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Aaahh    ..............   such memories, eh  ....    :sungum:

It's good to see the clumsiness didn't rub off........

post-10855-0-06562100-1421503177.jpg

Where is the Health and Safety executive when you need him/her???????

I can't believe the stupidity of these little people playing on this container. I dread to think of the carnage. Especially with giant scissors and lakes of glue just waiting...........

post-10855-0-48610500-1421503497.png

I hardly dare to reveal that the pile on the ground beneath the lady in the red coat   ...............  they are all, in fact, dogs  .....

Where is the Health and Safety executive when you need him/her???????

I can't believe the stupidity of these little people playing on this container. I dread to think of the carnage. Especially with giant scissors and lakes of glue just waiting...........

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-17 at 14.01.24.png

............     used to be a pack of dogs - which just ran over the edge   .............  Cur - Splat!

It did have the unintentional advantage that it saved the pest controller having to be called, as they had been running around scaring the wits out of everyone - which explains why they are sitting atop the Container  .....   :O

It also saved the H&S chap getting his knickers in a twist over which might be the greater risk - dogs or being atop the Container  ....    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...

So far this week I've managed to break the body shell of one of my ROCO locomotives, in an attempt to lay my track to the standard of others set it all in the wrong place with epoxy, bend and pull out a meter of rail stripping the fixings that hold it in the sleepers.

Then I burnt a hole in my jumper with the soldering iron,burning my arm, which I then dropped onto the carpet!

Reg Prescott lives on!

I can't match all that   ..............   all I got was a blood blister on the little finger    .................  

......................     but it does mark "First Blood" to the new portable boards which arrived at the end of last week    ...    :jester:  :jester:

..................   they will have to be watched carefully  ....    :O

Talking of H&S [which, of course, we weren't]   .................

I can understand that they didn't put it there    ............    and that might make them fall victim to the "Not Invented Here Syndrome" [NIHS], for which there is no known cure  ...  

I can understand they might then take it to another location, of their own choice   .......    See NIHS above  .....   

BUT  ....................    

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30986235 

.................    given the weather this week and for several to come, seeing it is that time of year    ........    to simply remove a means of shelter, from the bitter cold and wet, for homeless person    

.........................................    well  ................   it does seem to miss the "Health" bit and "Safety" of the individuals concerned seems   .....    well   ....   rather compromised too   .........   :scratchhead:

If the link fails - this is the gist sadly less the picture of a Park Bench constructed with a box under the seat, for someone to get into and, thereby, out of the weather.

Sleeping shelter removed from street by Belfast City Council

4 hours ago

A sleeping shelter that appeared on a street in Belfast city centre last week has been removed.

The wooden box, which was left as a place for homeless people to sleep in, was taken away by Belfast City Council this morning.

The council says the box, which did not have planning permission, was removed to ensure the health and safety of people using it.

BBC News NI's Michael Fitzpatrick reports.

• 1 month later...

anyone experience spraying a loco to perfection and then picking up by the sides to put it somewhere to dry ? ... sadly I am among that flock

One of my favourite pastimes was to spend weeks building a kit, spraying with enamel and then top coating with cellulose varnish.

A magnificent loco coach etc apparently constructed from crazy paving was the result. still, only done it  about four or five times!  :O

anyone experience spraying a loco to perfection and then picking up by the sides to put it somewhere to dry ? ... sadly I am among that flock

...............................................     Spraying???   .....    :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Blimey   ...............   that's certainly news   ................

yes spraying ...its airbrushing for the over 50's !! nice to see so many fellow hamfisted  modellers out there !!! :senile:

............................................    I was always given to believe it was what clever photographers did to pictures of young curvy under-dressed ladies[?] to make them look better  .....    :angel:

Archived