Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

On more than one occasion when pressing hard on a screwdriver I have thought to myself "that screwdriver is going to slip and bury itself in my hand" and inevitably I continue, the screwdriver slips and does indeed bury itself in my hand. I never learn!

Edward

Have you noticed that it's really hard to get blood stains off your loco/waggon or whatever?

• RMweb Gold

I've noticed that it happens to me when I've been working away for several hours and have got tired without noticing.

There is now a little sign over my bench reading "Do It Tomorrow, You've Made Enough Mistakes For One Day" 

John

• RMweb Gold

Last night sitting at dining table managed to knock over a full bottle of liquid poly!!. I had read this topic a couple of hours beforehand. Good job it is a glass table, language was choice to say the least

Last night sitting at dining table managed to knock over a full bottle of liquid poly!!. I had read this topic a couple of hours beforehand. Good job it is a glass table, language was choice to say the least

It also removes most of the markings on a cutting mat :jester:

Yeah, liquid poly costs a fortune nowadays!

If you use Kadee couplings you'll know that the existence of microscopic black holes is more than just a theory. I'm sure that's where the springs go never to be seen again in this universe.

On my French T.S.V.N. (Terminus Secondaire a Voie Normale)- or in English B.L.T.  this notice is now prominently displayed at the end where the fiddle yard is normally attached.

post-6882-0-07930200-1363975443.jpgpost-6882-0-30283700-1363975457.jpg

Because the layout was designed to also be a desktop shunting layout when used without its fiddle yard, I have an endpiece that bolts onto the end instead. There are no prizes for guessing why I decided it was a good idea to have a notice to remind me to fit it before letting any stock anywhere near the layout even when "just doing some testing". Fortunately it wasn't my favourite loco but just a couple of wagons that demonstrated the effect of a 100 metre fall in 1/87th scale!! 

I don't guarantee the French would get past the academy but I'm sure it's saved a few vehicles from destruction.

I do my modelling in a tiny 6' x 4' garden shed (although I like to tell my wife "it's my Workshop!") and, I too, frequently lose very small parts but, I know they must be in there somewhere! Problem is, I have to move all the things stacked under my benches, outside, in order to look for them!

Until Winter is over, I will give up on that Cooper Clark wagon and build something else instead.......

Jim

If you use Kadee couplings you'll know that the existence of microscopic black holes is more than just a theory. I'm sure that's where the springs go never to be seen again in this universe.

On my French T.S.V.N. (Terminus Secondaire a Voie Normale)- or in English B.L.T.  this notice is now prominently displayed at the end where the fiddle yard is normally attached.

attachicon.giffin de reseau.jpgattachicon.giffin de reseau pancarte.jpg

Because the layout was designed to also be a desktop shunting layout when used without its fiddle yard, I have an endpiece that bolts onto the end instead. There are no prizes for guessing why I decided it was a good idea to have a notice to remind me to fit it before letting any stock anywhere near the layout even when "just doing some testing". Fortunately it wasn't my favourite loco but just a couple of wagons that demonstrated the effect of a 100 metre fall in 1/87th scale!! 

I don't guarantee the French would get past the academy but I'm sure it's saved a few vehicles from destruction.

gauch personne!!

HI

I made a holder out of a loo roll on a wide base,saved me no end of pain!

Darren

• RMweb Gold

I also drop tiny bits everywhere and despair of ever finding them - although it's another good excuse for not using the vaccuum cleaner in the workshop/den/office zone.

Some years back, I think in Model Railroader, there was a chap who'd made himself a sort of special apron thingie. Instead of being draped over his knees, the lower hem was attached to a couple of hooks under the workbench - so anything he dropped or which rolled off the bench ended up highly visible in his secure lap.

Am I telling you this because I've tried it and it works? Sadly no!

• RMweb Gold

I also drop tiny bits everywhere and despair of ever finding them - although it's another good excuse for not using the vaccuum cleaner in the workshop/den/office zone.

Some years back, I think in Model Railroader, there was a chap who'd made himself a sort of special apron thingie. Instead of being draped over his knees, the lower hem was attached to a couple of hooks under the workbench - so anything he dropped or which rolled off the bench ended up highly visible in his secure lap.

I know what would happen to me, I can see it already . I would forget that i had attached it to whatever, get up and pull the whole lot over me. the principle is great its just the idiot involved.

• RMweb Premium

I know someone who had exactly the same idea, until one day he forgot to detach the apron. He dragged his worktop over with several part built models and a couple of open containers of paint etc. Back to the drawing board!

Westerhamstation posted his thread as I was typing mine.

• RMweb Gold

I know someone who had exactly the same idea, until one day he forgot to detach the apron. He dragged his worktop over with several part built models and a couple of open containers of paint etc. Back to the drawing board!

You just know its going to happen :jester: :jester:

• RMweb Gold

My local jeweller once told me that this type of apron was(is?) used by goldsmiths so that all particles of gold can be captured for re use as it is so expensive.

I wonder if they have the same problem?

David

• RMweb Premium

My local jeweller once told me that this type of apron was(is?) used by goldsmiths so that all particles of gold can be captured for re use as it is so expensive.

I wonder if they have the same problem?

David

Their benches were probably attached to the wall/floor so not a problem. You can bet your bottom dollar that they only done it once.

Re-wind a few years, was there ever a railway modeller on The Kyripton Factor??

Another point that baffles me is that I had a very responsible job, where the technical side had to be 100% correct, as peoples lives depended on it.

Why oh why can't I transfer those skills to my workbench? What happens to our thought process when we lock ourselves away in our workshop, or the dining room table? Why was I so meticulous and tidy at work, but such a slob at the workbench? Would therepy be the best idea, or is the clumsiness condition terminal???? :help:

I picked up my Heljan 31 yesterday, whilst placing it on the track, one of the bogie lifeguards caught a ground signal.  :banghead:

Luckily, Heljan knows I'm an idiot, and thoughtfuly provide four replacements.

• RMweb Gold

Another point that baffles me is that I had a very responsible job, where the technical side had to be 100% correct, as peoples lives depended on it.

Why oh why can't I transfer those skills to my workbench? What happens to our thought process when we lock ourselves away in our workshop, or the dining room table? Why was I so meticulous and tidy at work, but such a slob at the workbench? Would therepy be the best idea, or is the clumsiness condition terminal???? :help:

I picked up my Heljan 31 yesterday, whilst placing it on the track, one of the bogie lifeguards caught a ground signal. :banghead:Luckily, Heljan knows I'm an idiot, and thoughtfuly provide four replacements.

I picked up my Heljan 31 yesterday, whilst placing it on the track, one of the bogie lifeguards caught a ground signal. :banghead:Luckily, Heljan knows I'm an idiot, and thoughtfuly provide four replacements.

Will they be enough :jester: 

Archived