Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

I was a watch/clock repairer and used to have a piece of lino on the floor with the edges curved up the walls so that if anything was droped you can sweep the floor and find everthing you did`nt know you lost as well as what you did loose much easier than trying to get screws and springs out of carpet :scratchhead:

Another usefull thing I`ve kept to from then is having the bench about 4`6"  high so you can sit on a stool and stand at it without getting back or neck pain also 6 inch edges on 3 sides of the bench helps plus you can have a shelf at the back to keep tools off the work area. A rubber work mat is a good investment as are some decent tools the tweezers I use are surrated I also have various curved,hollow point and ceramic tipped tweezers and a nice set of screwdrivers which I can replace the tips on when the`re worn out. The expence out weighs the heartache and stress when things "dissapear"

• RMweb Gold

I was a watch/clock repairer and used to have a piece of lino on the floor with the edges curved up the walls so that if anything was droped you can sweep the floor and find everthing you did`nt know you lost as well as what you did loose much easier than trying to get screws and springs out of carpet :scratchhead:

Another usefull thing I`ve kept to from then is having the bench about 4`6"  high so you can sit on a stool and stand at it without getting back or neck pain also 6 inch edges on 3 sides of the bench helps plus you can have a shelf at the back to keep tools off the work area. A rubber work mat is a good investment as are some decent tools the tweezers I use are surrated I also have various curved,hollow point and ceramic tipped tweezers and a nice set of screwdrivers which I can replace the tips on when the`re worn out. The expence out weighs the heartache and stress when things "dissapear"

I wonder if the wife will mind if I convert the kitchen table that I use, I will just go and ask her :nono:  

• RMweb Gold

I know someone who had exactly the same idea, until one day he forgot to detach the apron. He dragged his worktop over with several part built models and a couple of open containers of paint etc. Back to the drawing board!

Westerhamstation posted his thread as I was typing mine.

Maybe Velcro could solve that problem?

Worst mistake so far trying to use dress making scissors to shorten thick white metal bogie casting.Just as I thought better be careful these scissors might slip they did, nicely closing on both sides of left index finger.I still bear the scars years later.Once had a nasty skin problem due to cavalier use of epoxy resin glue also but it's all great fun.

Looks like I might get a small workbench and a light in here, if only i could get my blooming head out, I thought that might happen. :jester:

On the positive side, the square footage is small enough to allow a super fast search for your projectiles!! Also, a perfect position for the missus to kick you up the rear end after destroying the dining room table :O

• RMweb Premium

On the positive side, the square footage is small enough to allow a super fast search for your projectiles!! Also, a perfect position for the missus to kick you up the rear end after destroying the dining room table :O

The main problem will be evicting the dog. :fie:  

PhilJ W, on 24 Mar 2013 - 10:14, said:snapback.png

I know someone who had exactly the same idea, until one day he forgot to detach the apron. He dragged his worktop over with several part built models and a couple of open containers of paint etc. Back to the drawing board!

Maybe Velcro could solve that problem?

Oh come on. Murphy's law is far more pervasive than that. The force needed to pull the bench over is absolutely bound to be very slightly less than the force needed for the velcro to break away.

PhilJ W, on 24 Mar 2013 - 10:14, said:snapback.png

Oh come on. Murphy's law is far more pervasive than that. The force needed to pull the bench over is absolutely bound to be very slightly less than the force needed for the velcro to break away.

I have velcro on my workbench apron, and maybe someday I'll actually consistently remember to wear the apron rather than swear at myself for dropping parts onto the floor and into the magical disappearing part zone beneath my chair at my workbench!!

-Stephen

• RMweb Premium

I have velcro on my workbench apron, and maybe someday I'll actually consistently remember to wear the apron rather than swear at myself for dropping parts onto the floor and into the magical disappearing part zone beneath my chair at my workbench!!

-Stephen

Another problem with velcro is of course we are all going to stand up BEFORE we recover the dropped item(s) from the apron and lose them on the floor anyway! :scratchhead:

Like others I am always dropping miniscule objects & having had a knee replacement find crawling about on my hands & knees a bit of a bind.

I bought a telescopic magnetic pick up tool from Messrs Maplin and have found all sorts of metallic objects I didn't know I'd lost (or even possessed in the first place!)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/telescopic-magnetic-pick-up-tool-30608

Bob.

Why are the bits I lose plastic or brass? Sods law I suppose.

It isn't just in railway modelling. I've dropped stainless cotter pins over the side of the boat, stainless bolts into the bilge, brass railway bits everywhere (e.g. Kadee/Microtrains springs), tiny plastic parts of airpane models etc. Usually they are non-magnetic, making a magnetic pickup tool useless. Or I drop bolts into the engine bay of the car, where the magnetic pickup tool attaches itself to everything...

Oh, and I've dropped my notes mid-stage in the rally car...

Maybe it's just me...

Adrian

My wife has the 'beard and wooly jumper' vision of railway modllers, (I don't know if she includes female modellers??) and recons if I grew said beard and donned the wooly jumper, most parts would conveniently attach themselves to me rather than the floor. I felt that to complete the image, I should install a real ale bar in the workshop. Planning permission was refused as she feels clumsiness and drunkeness would be unbearable (for her).  :rtfm:

I am to lodge an appeal.

post-10855-0-98582900-1364402204.png

• RMweb Gold

My wife has the 'beard and wooly jumper' vision of railway modllers, (I don't know if she includes female modellers??) and recons if I grew said beard and donned the wooly jumper, most parts would conveniently attach themselves to me rather than the floor. I felt that to complete the image, I should install a real ale bar in the workshop. Planning permission was refused as she feels clumsiness and drunkeness would be unbearable (for her).  :rtfm:

I am to lodge an appeal.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-03-27 at 16.33.48.png

I am to lodge an appeal.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-03-27 at 16.33.48.png

A beard is a dammed good idea, you can store all sorts of stuff in them, and if a really bushy type can be used for catching small parts as they go flying off.

A beard is a dammed good idea, you can store all sorts of stuff in them, and if a really bushy type can be used for catching small parts as they go flying off.

Not such a good idea if the part that goes flying has already had the super glue applied!

Brings tears to the eyes just thinking about it.

Jeff

Not such a good idea if the part that goes flying has already had the super glue applied!

Brings tears to the eyes just thinking about it.

Jeff

I don't think a beard would be safe with the pillar drill. I can just see the nurse unwinding me in A&E.......

• RMweb Gold

I don't think a beard would be safe with the pillar drill. I can just see the nurse unwinding me in A&E.......

As the old saying goes always expect the unexpected, you are quite right beards, pillar drills, superglue, railway modellers, what a combination for the railway hobglin :jester:

As the old saying goes always expect the unexpected, you are quite right beards, pillar drills, superglue, railway modellers, what a combination for the railway hobglin :jester:

A formidable armoury for maximum clumsiness  :butcher:

But should we include sandals??

• RMweb Gold

A formidable armoury for maximum clumsiness  :butcher:

But should we include sandals??

There is a whole range of clothing and footwear which adds to general Railway modelling clumsiness and injury, best jumpers and trousers that don't shed paint and glue, when you forget that you should have changed before you started modelling, and then you wipe your paint or glue covered fingers on them. Sleeves that demolish anything within a 5yd radius . Glasses that drop of your head when you bend down. Telephones that ring as you are doing something difficult, and when you answer it they say are you busy. When you eventualy get  down to floor level to pick up whats been dropped or flown off you kneel on it.  Don't even start me on sandals!

There is a whole range of clothing and footwear which adds to general Railway modelling clumsiness and injury, best jumpers and trousers that don't shed paint and glue, when you forget that you should have changed before you started modelling, and then you wipe your paint or glue covered fingers on them. Sleeves that demolish anything within a 5yd radius . Glasses that drop of your head when you bend down. Telephones that ring as you are doing something difficult, and when you answer it they say are you busy. When you eventualy get  down to floor level to pick up whats been dropped or flown off you kneel on it.  Don't even start me on sandals!

Just nipped out for some suitable railway modelling gear........

post-10855-0-65934200-1364470286_thumb.jpg 

Archived