Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

Now we are getting somewhere !! Do they do it in any other colours, like railmatch grime

I have enclosed a swatch chart for your convenience:

•  Gloss black (common to most freight designs at grouping, adopted by Maunsell as standard in 1923)
  •  LBSCR dark umber (1905–1923)
  •  LSWR Urie sage green (1912–1924; this became the standard passenger locomotive livery immediately after grouping)
  •  LSWR holly green (1912–1923; freight livery inherited from the LSWR at grouping)
  •  SECR grey (until 1923; inherited from the SECR at grouping)
  •  SR Maunsell olive green (1924–1939; introduced as the first standard passenger livery for the Southern Railway)
  •  Wartime matt black (1940–1950; a wartime labour-saving livery)
  •  SR Bulleid light green (1938–1940; first applied to N15 and H15 classes, dropped in favour of malachite green)
  •  SR Bulleid malachite green (1939–1950; became standard livery for all Southern passenger locomotives)
  •  

There was a major failure of Murphy's law at Ally  Pally on Sunday afternoon. I'd not been there on Saturday and before the start of play on Sunday noticed while taking the stock out of the box for the layout I was operating that a buffer was missing from a 1:87 scale coach. Because it was an out of production item it would be almost impossible for the layout owner to replace and because I noticed it was missing before it came anywherer near the layout knew that it must have fallen off on the Saturday. It was clearly lost for ever but during strikedown we actually found the missing buffer in front of the layout. 

At that level of improbability I'm rather surprised it hadn't turned into a spe rm whale or a bunch of petunias.

There was a major failure of Murphy's law at Ally  Pally on Sunday afternoon. I'd not been there on Saturday and before the start of play on Sunday noticed while taking the stock out of the box that a buffer was missing from a 1:87 scale coach. Because it was an out of production item it would be almost impossible to replace and because I noticed it was missing before it came anywherer near the layout knew that it must have fallen off on the Saturday. It was clearly lost for ever but during strikedown we actually found the missing buffer in front of the layout. 

At that level of improbability I'm rather surprised it hadn't turned into a spe rm whale or a bunch of petunias.

What is incredible is that had this incident happened in the sanctuary of your workshop/railway room, I can guarentee that buffer would never have surfaced again!!

What is incredible is that had this incident happened in the sanctuary of your workshop/railway room, I can guarentee that buffer would never have surfaced again!!

This wasn't my layout but I have twice found Kadee knuckle springs on my own carpet !!

I have twice found Kadee knuckle springs on my own carpet !!

But I doubt that they were the same ones you'd just dropped and were looking for. They were probably ones 'lost' months previously.

G.

But I doubt that they were the same ones you'd just dropped and were looking for. They were probably ones 'lost' months previously.

G.

I didn't say I found them when I was looking for them :no:  That would be to Murphy's law like the law of gravity deciding to take a day off.

What we could really do with is the type of vacuum cleaner that I assume jewellery workers who work with precious metals and diamonds use. I have tried one of those 12V types but they could barely lift a cat hair off lino.

Hi

I lost my readng glasses at Ally Pally last sunday morning but fortunately they were handed in and i picked hem up from the Warners stand on the way out in the evening, you would not believe the junk I bought in between.

A friend of mine is almost blind but loves his railway, I am often helping him with repairs, I went to see him the other day and he showed me his new 2 tone green Heljan class 47 he got from Hattons, unfortunately his young grandson decided to fit the snow ploughs for him (no mean feat) he managed to break the buffer beams and lose both of the buffer springs.

I had a right go at him telling him he shouldn't let the boy touch anything on his layout, anyway I got the job of the repairs which I carried out, I just thought I would slip a last bit of superglue behind the broken buffer beam, Job Done, but I couldn't put the loco down, it was stuck to my index finger on my left hand. superglue remover done the trick with the glue but also the paint.

The moral issue is, I havn't told him yet and he probably wouldn't notice it.

Sorry I mustn't think that way

Bob

Hi

I lost my readng glasses at Ally Pally last sunday morning but fortunately they were handed in and i picked hem up from the Warners stand on the way out in the evening, you would not believe the junk I bought in between.

A friend of mine is almost blind but loves his railway, I am often helping him with repairs, I went to see him the other day and he showed me his new 2 tone green Heljan class 47 he got from Hattons, unfortunately his young grandson decided to fit the snow ploughs for him (no mean feat) he managed to break the buffer beams and lose both of the buffer springs.

I had a right go at him telling him he shouldn't let the boy touch anything on his layout, anyway I got the job of the repairs which I carried out, I just thought I would slip a last bit of superglue behind the broken buffer beam, Job Done, but I couldn't put the loco down, it was stuck to my index finger on my left hand. superglue remover done the trick with the glue but also the paint.

The moral issue is, I havn't told him yet and he probably wouldn't notice it.

Sorry I mustn't think that way

Bob

Bob,

Chances are the young grandon is a scapegoat, maybe he had had a go himself, and  this was his cover story!  :secret:

A few years ago, I built a 16mm live steam railway in the garden. I had to wait a year for my 1st loco to be built, and whiled away the time building two Welshpool and Llanfiar coaches. Finishing in lined GWR chocolate and cream.

When my loco arrived, I decided to have an opening ceremony, and invited round a friend and his son.

As stated earlier, the loco was live steam and also radio controlled. My friend and I spent an hour or so playing, and I noticed the boy getting bored, so offered him the transmitter. He immediatley opened the regulator fully, sending the train down the 1:20 incline, towards a very sharp bend, and a considerable drop to the patio. I lunged for the transmitter, too late to stop the loco derailing, but luckily it fell to it's side. The two coaches overshot, and landed 3ft below on to the patio. Both were virtualy destroyed. My 'friend' turned to me, and as cool as a cucumber said: "Looks like they need to go to the paint shop!"

I seem to remember the words clumsy and idiot were just two of the words I began yelling. But of course, my wife explained that in fact I was the idiot for letting the boy loose with the transmitter in the first place!! :umbrage:

My coaches prior to near destruction....

post-10855-0-24582100-1366457211.jpg

Not model railway related, but I think this scores highly on the 'Clumsy when least desirable' chart.

In the early days of nuclear, Alfie Maddock, a nuclear scientist, was working with the U.K.'s entire supply of plutonium, (about 10 mg) when he spilled it on the lab table. Being a clever fellow he cut the affected part of the table out and burned it, and was able to recover 95% of the plutonium before anyone found out.

These days H & S would probably evacuate the entire lab.

Somehow I don't think cutting a hole in the dining room table would help with spilled glue. Now a strategically placed table mats might work hmmm.....

My worst ever clumsy was knocking a small tin of Humbrol paint off the dining room table. Of course the lid was off, and it was that bright red that they don't seem to make anymore. Said tin then rolled about a yard along the carpet..

I have just been making Tameo Kits Ferrari 312B,a 1/43 scale white metal and photoetch kit ,a splendid model .Its taken me months as I kept losing tiny photoetched parts .Some I didnt bother looking for and just made new parts out of wire and solder but I finally got it all together  sans wheels which still have to be painted .I was just adding the mirrors ,comparatively large compared to many parts ,when I dropped one into the cars footwell .At least I thought it had .It was glued and I assume has stuck .No amount of poking and shaking will free it assuming thats actually where it is .I have checked everywhere and cannot find it so I will either have to order a spare from Grand Prix Models or make two matching mirrors from solder and wire .Its a great little model but has small parts overkill .

I didn't say I found them when I was looking for them :no:  That would be to Murphy's law like the law of gravity deciding to take a day off.

What we could really do with is the type of vacuum cleaner that I assume jewellery workers who work with precious metals and diamonds use. I have tried one of those 12V types but they could barely lift a cat hair off lino.

Try using an ordinary vacuum cleaner but ask your other half/girlfriend etc for an old palr of tights (OK you might have some explaining to do!). Pop them over the end of the vacuum hose with an elastic band...   

edited to correct 'girlfiend' to 'girlfriend'. Oops!

• RMweb Gold

Try using an ordinary vacuum cleaner but ask your other half/girlfriend etc for an old palr of tights (OK you might have some explaining to do!). Pop them over the end of the vacuum hose with an elastic band...   

edited to correct 'girlfiend' to 'girlfriend'. Oops!

Preferred original spelling of girlfriend :jester:

Archived