Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

Clumsy Moi!! no prizes guess who has just spent half an hour washing the carpet.Only spilt half a bottle of Carrs red solder flux . I only hope I got the spillage in time.

OH B******S!!  Sorry for shouting I feel better now. Now where was I clumsy moi. "why no man"  :jester:

I'm not clumsy, just thoughtless. although i have many a tale to tell and i am a beginner :) most recent was soldering some wire to my plunger pickups which required speed & accuracy so for the accuracy i held my soldering iron between  thumb and forefinger, Is ok it was my left hand and the blisters have healed, DONT mention plunger pick up springs to me please :)

Grasshopper John.

Hey Grasshopper John,

I heard you may have been teaching other modellers on the art of soldering in a clumsy sort of way...... :nono:

post-10855-0-58391700-1366064813.png

Hey Grasshopper John,

I heard you may have been teaching other modellers on the art of soldering in a clumsy sort of way...... :nono:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-04-15 at 23.24.07.png

Is that a 25W or a 40W, I never thought of using my soldering iron to remove nostril hair :) besides i think i would actually do myself serious harm trying that prob end up dropping it and end up with a Brazilian :jester:

Grasshopper John.

Is that a 25W or a 40W, I never thought of using my soldering iron to remove nostril hair :) besides i think i would actually do myself serious harm trying that prob end up dropping it and end up with a Brazilian :jester:

Grasshopper John.

I don't suppose you mean.......

post-10855-0-22721900-1366320864.png :scratchhead:

Getting back on track, so to speak, following on from my coach disaster, earlier in the thread (photo of newly built coaches now added to post on page 4), I remembered an incident which may be down to clumsiness, or lack of skill as a civil engineer!

During the months spent rebuilding the coaches, I realised that the steep gradients and sharp bends had to go. Also, I had on order a coal fired loco, which needed 8' radius curves. 

I took up most of the original layout, and over a year or so, rebuilt with a spiral, Ffestiniog style to take the track up the garden. The track was up to two feet above ground level in places, and in a deep cutting as it rounded the spiral. Where the tracks crossed, I built a wooden bridge.

I decided, yet again to hold an opening ceremony, and friends came with their locos. So far so good. I then ran my Countess, which had two whisles on the cab roof. Unfortunatley, the bridge which already had very low headroom, had settled by about 1/4 of an inch, and took the whistles off the cab roof.

I later rebuilt the bridge with a thin plate of iron, and all was ok. I have included a couple of photos of the bridge as built and after rebuilding.

post-10855-0-83958900-1366464559.jpgpost-10855-0-97643100-1366464608.png

Top tip for all victims of the carpet monster

Keep a torch handy.

Once that small but important and the only one you have part takes a trip  north, west , east or wherever but eventually south. Turn off the light, close the curtains or whatever you need to do to darken the room .

Then it's out with the torch and  time to become more closely acquainted with the floor covering of your modelling space. Get down real initimate  with the floor  and shine the torch across the floor at a shallow angle. You will be amazed at the amount of miniscule rubbish you will be able to see.

This tip is from the US TV series CSI. I always used to wonder why they didn't just switch the light on when looking for evidence. Try it it works. I have found many a spring from 4mm sprung buffer this way. Mind you I found a lot of other crud as well and even things I didn't know I'd lost.

Of course you may also need ot take the phone down there as well in case you need help getting back up

Oh and if it's a cast nameplate you've lost then I can tell you it is under the wheels / feet of the chair you are sat on and is now U shaped.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Top tip for all victims of the carpet monster

Keep a torch handy.

Once that small but important and the only one you have part takes a trip  north, west , east or wherever but eventually south. Turn off the light, close the curtains or whatever you need to do to darken the room .

Then it's out with the torch and  time to become more closely acquainted with the floor covering of your modelling space. Get down real initimate  with the floor  and shine the torch across the floor at a shallow angle. You will be amazed at the amount of miniscule rubbish you will be able to see.

This tip is from the US TV series CSI. I always used to wonder why they didn't just switch the light on when looking for evidence. Try it it works. I have found many a spring from 4mm sprung buffer this way. Mind you I found a lot of other crud as well and even things I didn't know I'd lost.

Of course you may also need ot take the phone down there as well in case you need help getting back up

Oh and if it's a cast nameplate you've lost then I can tell you it is under the wheels / feet of the chair you are sat on and is now U shaped.

Andy

Would a blow torch work just as well?

Maybe but I make sure it not a synthetic carpet and watch the eyebrows, cat etc.

The phone may be very useful in this case

Happy fire fighting

Andy (now worrying about the consequences of this top tip)

Thinking further on the original question.

I don't think railway modellers are clumsy. They just make scale choices their fingers can't handle. 

Andy

Back in the 70's when I was a gas engineer apprentice, I was pared up with a qualified engineer who, like me was also a railway modeller. 

We were running pipework, using a blow lamp, across the loft space of a large thatched house, which was a few hundred years old.

I had to leave for a dentist appointment. When I returned, the roof was well alight, and 3 fire engines were attending.

Although the engineer wasn't modelling at the time, sureley this still makes him the world's clumsiest modeller!!

• RMweb Premium

Last night in the club workshop in the middle of the floor I found one 'rail' section from a Peco rail built buffer stop. This had been on the missing list for a couple of years and despite occasional sweepings had never come to light.

Last night in the club workshop in the middle of the floor I found one 'rail' section from a Peco rail built buffer stop. This had been on the missing list for a couple of years and despite occasional sweepings had never come to light.

A few weeks ago, I found a lamp bracket from a Bachmann class 37. I gave up 4mm modelling around 5 years ago!!

It's almost like the wicked hobgoblin thinks "Ok had my fun, you can have your ball back now!" :jester:

Hello All

This one is a real cracker, for this thread  methinks ! :no:

Whist soldering, I laid the iron down,did what I had to do then found the iron

had rolled into my Class101 and burned a hole in a window and a door.

Grrrrr   It took ages to repair and is still very visible at under 3 feet

PS     Good idea Mallard, let the duck do the talking  :-)

Cheers 

John

Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction) - Layout topics - RMweb - Page 8

Hello All

This one is a real cracker, for this thread  methinks ! :no:

Whist soldering, I laid the iron down,did what I had to do then found the iron

had rolled into my Class101 and burned a hole in a window and a door.

Grrrrr   It took ages to repair and is still very visible at under 3 feet

PS     Good idea Mallard, let the duck do the talking  :-)

Cheers 

John

Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction) - Layout topics - RMweb - Page 8

Hi engage, just found a photo of your repair job on your 101. I'm not surprised it is still visible at under 3 feet, In my opinion, it needs just a tad more filler.....

post-10855-0-36785600-1366921029.png :declare:

Hi Bagpipes

.................. According to the reaction you are getting there appears to be lots of clumsy modelers out there.

Good topic !..............Just love that pic ! ...........             very appropriate for my misdeeds.

Do you read the  "Dear Sir "...."Prototype for Everything "  bits with the pics in the  NGS Journal when they appear ?    

Very similar idea !

Take care

Cheers

John

Archived