Ex LMS GEC stock on my Earl's Court Layout

• 7 months later...

Great to see an unusual EMU type on a layout - how did you go about its build ?

The sides are Dapol/airfix suburban coaches, cut into lots and lots of sections and glued together. The motor coach is a correct scale 2ft longer, so that is 2 x roof and 2 x chassis joined together.

The driving ends are Comet brass 3 window LMS driving trailer ends with the centre window filled in. That way I got the visor over the windows.

The grills were a big problem. Fortunately I had scale drawings from an 'LMS coaching stock' book (which helped throughout) so I scanned the grill drawings. I then used a photo editing software to colour this, using various shades of green for the louvers and surround. I then printed this on sticky labels, doing several, each with different contrast and/or brightness. I then offered them up against the model and chose the one that looked best. At normal viewing distance you can't really tell they are only 2D,

It is currently powered by an oldish spud motor. I will replace this at some time.

The unit took a long time to make. But I was pleased with the result and it gets lots of positive comments at exhibitions......although many people think it's an Oerlikon!

If you go to http://ecmr.webs.com/news-exhibition-dates you can see where the layout is over the next year or so. If I'm any where close pay a visit and say hello.

Regards

Terry

Crikey - but well worth the effort!   I'm sure I saw something a few years ago on Bill Bedford's web page that a GEC kit might be considered, but I've never seen or hear anything since.

I'd wondered if the Dapol coaches might be worth a look, but without seriously considering it.   It's bad enough considering building an Oerlikon from the London Road Models sides - I've been rash and ordered two !

I'll certainly make the effort for a chat if I see you at a show - thank you very much

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey - but well worth the effort!   I'm sure I saw something a few years ago on Bill Bedford's web page that a GEC kit might be considered, but I've never seen or hear anything since.

I'd wondered if the Dapol coaches might be worth a look, but without seriously considering it.   It's bad enough considering building an Oerlikon from the London Road Models sides - I've been rash and ordered two !

I'll certainly make the effort for a chat if I see you at a show - thank you very much

Regards

Alan

How difficult are the Oerlikon sides to make a decent model?

Terry

How difficult are the Oerlikon sides to make a decent model?

Terry

Very is the answer Terry the London Road Models brass etches are good however it is not a complete kit. The biggest issue being the roof profile which much shallower than the LMlS units . The other option is the Street Level Models cardboard Oerlikon and either laminate the or use the kit as as aid to scratch building one.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The sides are Dapol/airfix suburban coaches, cut into lots and lots of sections and glued together.

Hi Terry

Are we talking the GWR B set coaches or the LMS surburban coaches with the compartment centres reduced?

Hi Terry

Are we talking the GWR B set coaches or the LMS surburban coaches with the compartment centres reduced?

Terry has used the LMS coaches as the GWrR B sets are a different profile, however they would make a good starting point for Metropolitan steel paneled T Stock.

Nigel

Hi Terry

Nigel is correct.....he has seen this unit and we have discussed it many times.....

I used the plans in Jenkinson's coaching stock book, so I was able to cut whatever bits of coach sides were necessary to fit the plan.

There were two different kinds of centre cars. Some were originally built as composites (later down-graded to 3rd class only, whilst same later ones were built as all thirds, so the body layout differed.

There are some more pictures at      ecmr.webs.com

Regards

Terry

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to bump this thread up. I have been looking at drawings and photos in the Jenkinson book. Unfortunately there is not a drawing of thetrailer composite . The photo suggests it has two  third class then four 1st class and then three 3rd class. There is no lavatory.Seem to remember something about not having them on trains running on North London line . Now this therefore does not match the Dapol/Airfix composite . The Hornby one looks like a non lavatory one but wrong mix of class compartments. Also to fit it a first class compartment instead of a third class one would require compartment lengths to be reduced .

Now I wonder if the photo in the book is wrong(unlikely), but can not find any mention of a 2-4-3 mix, and in fact it does state that the LMS followed LNWR pattern of 3-3-3 mix. Therr were some all third class middle coaches, but that does not explain the composite mystery. The Altrincham stock was 58ft long, so could there have been some mixing . Some ex london stock did end up up north.

In the Jenkinson and Essery book ISBN 0 86093 452 7 on page 175 there is a drawing of the trailer composite. This is the basis of the trailer in my model.

The layout is 3 third, 4 first, 2 third to diag no. D1691. On page 176 is also diag D1846, which appears to be almost identical.

On page 178 is a drawing for the all third trailer version, to diag D1684

Hope this helps.

Terry

In the Jenkinson and Essery book ISBN 0 86093 452 7 on page 175 there is a drawing of the trailer composite. This is the basis of the trailer in my model.

The layout is 3 third, 4 first, 2 third to diag no. D1691. On page 176 is also diag D1846, which appears to be almost identical.

On page 178 is a drawing for the all third trailer version, to diag D1684

Hope this helps.

Terry

thanks Terry, that is the revised version of the book, when it was split into 3 books. May have to get a copy of that, as it covers more of what I am interested in.(just ordered a copy - not cheap but worth it).

It also highlights what is missing in original book. Looking at photos of your model I could not tell whether it was 4 first class or 3.

Stan, I think those were for the laser cut designs, I don't remember seeing drawings except for the Southport parcels cars(thanks for those, they are on the list to do), but I was having problems to get files initially unzipped.

There is also other info I am interested in in the book.

Just had another look, and I think I have pages with photos not drawings. No problem, book is on the way. I got the combined volume, at a very reasonable price(half what I had seen elsewhere), so paying for the updated volume is not that bad. 

Nope, Orm1008 and Orm1009 - both .pdfs should answer your needs.  But if you get the E&J books, you can confirm this for yourself!

Cheers,

Stan

Stan, I think those were for the laser cut designs, I don't remember seeing drawings except for the Southport parcels cars(thanks for those, they are on the list to do), but I was having problems to get files initially unzipped.

There is also other info I am interested in in the book.

Just had another look, and I think I have pages with photos not drawings. No problem, book is on the way. I got the combined volume, at a very reasonable price(half what I had seen elsewhere), so paying for the updated volume is not that bad. 

Stan, thanks for that It was my unzip program,was only showing first 3 pages, and I had been having problems with getting it to run,but got them now.

Worked out how they squeezed in extra first class, by reducing each by about 4in. That means removing a mm off each first class compartment if cut and shunting the Dapol coaches. I will continue with my 3D printed design(initially for HO, then other scales).

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

got my 3D printed 3 car unit in HO now, bodies only. No rush as the layout I plan is a while off. Planning a 'what if' extension to the Hammersmitth and Chiswick branch. Not as grand as Earls Court though.

Crikey extended to whereabouts as not too much towards the Thames and if you head off towards Hammersmith the LSWR & LNWR were already going that way anyway. Either way good luck and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Kevin

It isnot that difficult, basically line goes south west just north of Chiswick park and could join the Chiswick line just to the north of Chiswick station.Given that the original H&C line dates from about 1850, when it was all fields, then I think it could have been built before housing covered it. My only difficulty is mixing 3 and 4 rail operations, but I plan to have then come from either end on first(HO) layout, and not so sure yet for second one(OO),as I want to also include GWR railcar and steam railmotor(possibly on publicity trial, as it will be 1930s).

Archived