really enjoyed your loftus road layout at Stafford. some really great weathered stock.the layouts detailing was excellent, and I was very impressed with the signal gantries.i was at the show with neil who owns werrington road and he like myself thought the engineering wagons looked great, infact I have been on my layout today weathering my own fleet of wagons.the Stafford show was excellent and iam now looking forward to the Doncaster show. regards. john.

• RMweb Premium

really enjoyed your loftus road layout at Stafford. some really great weathered stock.the layouts detailing was excellent, and I was very impressed with the signal gantries.i was at the show with neil who owns werrington road and he like myself thought the engineering wagons looked great, infact I have been on my layout today weathering my own fleet of wagons.the Stafford show was excellent and iam now looking forward to the Doncaster show. regards. john.

Thanks John! Pete did a terrific job on the signal gantries and we're really getting there with the weathered stock now - takes a while to get things done but starting to have some long rakes of weathered wagons forming! Got a few more OBAs in the works right now to extend that engineering train.

I also picked up some orange RMC 'JGA' wagons at Warley last year so the next job is toning down these luminous coloured beauties!

Hoping to share some pics of the weekend soon when I get a spare moment :)

• Like 2

Hia James!

Pleasure to meet you on Saturday and great fun playing on the layout (even if the Hornby 60s didn't like me!!) certainly was annoyed at myself for not bringing to new toys for a play!

I have some (rubbish) pictures on my iPhone and a bit of video footage, apologie I couldn't say good bye but it was a very hectic day!

Thanks to all the Loftus road team for a great show and for letting me have a go :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw your excellent layout on Saturday at Stafford, however within the group I attended someone noticed that the Elecrostars were  running on battery power. So I apologise if this has already been covered (I have scanned preivious post) , but what has happened to the third rail?

Benjamin

Haha we were worried about this and then suprised how few people commented on the lack of third rail over the weekend!

We found the original third rail was too high so kept fouling on low wagons like the Dapol container twins, so we'd decided to relay this much lower, but what with extending the layout and building new scenics like the petrol station, it fell by the wayside in the rush to get the layout done for Stafford!

Hopefully we'll now get a chance to re-lay this across the extended layout in time for our next show in Salisbury during May!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, a good reason really to be getting rid of the 3rd rail, I look forward to seeing the layout hopefully again in the flesh with the 3rd rail reinstated. It was nice to see though that you still had the units out and excellent work with them and the layout itself.

Benjamin

HI, 

Superb layout,very inspiring.

Do you have any more early construction images of the layout inc baseboards,track laying, scenery etc.

Keep up the excellent work.

Not sure if you have gone back to page 2 post 40, there are the details of the building of the baseboards and additional scenics are scattered (if you'll pardon the pun) throughout the rest of this topic. If you want to know any specific aspects of the layout, PM me and I'll try to answer as best I can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi chaps,

There's not been many updates of late but we're still hard at work on the layout ready for the next outing at Salisbury on May 9th/10th. The latest toy we've been playing with is our Eurostar!

post-6896-0-04121700-1429209746_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty at home on Loftus Road but it's a bit too short at the moment and we're in the process of adding lighting and detailing before it'll get a weathering to tone it down a touch!

post-6896-0-46936600-1429209787_thumb.jpg

If you hadn't yet seen, the latest news is that Loftus Road is in the current BRM! I've done a piece on the petrol station project, Andy Y took a few snaps as well and they've come out nicely!

post-6896-0-76298100-1429209824_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• Like 14

Hi chaps,

There's not been many updates of late but we're still hard at work on the layout ready for the next outing at Salisbury on May 9th/10th. The latest toy we've been playing with is our Eurostar!

It looks pretty at home on Loftus Road but it's a bit too short at the moment and we're in the process of adding lighting and detailing before it'll get a weathering to tone it down a touch!

18 coaches with full interior decor, dcc sound throughout the train, fully DCC controlled pan(s) and occasional third rail flashes I take it? :jester:

Great work as always,

Jack.

• Like 2

18 coaches with full interior decor, dcc sound throughout the train, fully DCC controlled pan(s) and occasional third rail flashes I take it? :jester:

Great work as always,

Jack.

Blimey, 'e don't wont much do 'ee guv'nor...

• Like 1

Over the past two nights we have been encouraging some of our other club members to "have a go" at DCC. In order to do so, we found some DCC-enabled steam locomotives ("Wellington" and "City of Sheffield") - something to do with comfort zones apparently. This seemed to be fairly successful and the newly trained members were relatively happy with what they had learned. However, we realised that we may need to turn these locos around at some point.

This led Mr Makin to state "we could put a turntable in!"

"Where?" said Pete and me.

"Where the petrol station is now", came the far too quick response from James...

For avid fans of James' petrol station, watch this space...

• RMweb Premium

Further to Chris' post above, some readers might be surprised to learn that this beauty is actually mine!

post-6896-0-38470300-1429866473_thumb.jpg

With one of my dirtiest secrets revealed, I may as well come clean on my guilty pleasure - GWR steam locos!

This will become 5051 'Earl Bathhurst' as per Didcot preservation condition from some time back, helping relive nostalgia from Sundays spent hanging around Oxfordshire location. It's not the first GWR steamer in my collection and it won't be the last, but normal service will resume once I've powered through the shame!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick note to say that we'll be at the Salisbury show this weekend -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98991-salisbury-south-wilts-railway-society/&do=findComment&comment=1881713

http://www.sswrs.org.uk/index.html

Come and say hello!

Cheers,

James

I had been hoping to go to Wilton, mainly to see Loftus Road.

But probably won't be able to as a lot going on: work and elections. :resent: