Your car park scene is excellent, all you need to complete it is a young lad in a hi-vis vest working as a trolley collector stood pushing a line of trollies (just the job that I do but at B&Q!)

Sam

Edited by sammyboy

James this is truly outstanding work, the build quality to this layout is one of the best I have ever seen and always look forward to the updates  :sungum:

Loftus Road is one of the main reasons I have returned to 00  :senile:

Keep the updates coming, all the best Darren NSE DAZ

• RMweb Premium

James this is truly outstanding work, the build quality to this layout is one of the best I have ever seen and always look forward to the updates  :sungum:

Loftus Road is one of the main reasons I have returned to 00  :senile:

Keep the updates coming, all the best Darren NSE DAZ

Thanks that's really nice! I know the guys will be really happy, there's a lot of effort put into the buildings, greenery and especially the fencing so always nice to hear feedback!

The next step is putting together the new baseboards for the larger fiddle yard (more trains, hooray!) and the new scenic extension to capture even more of that 'London feel'! Very exciting times await! :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The extension sounds really good James, any chance of a photo of the rest of the Tesco store? 

Great work.

Scott

Hi Scott!

I've been digging through the archives to find a few overall shots of the Tesco complex.

27757283594_c597c35103_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As you can see it's more of a non-descript multi-storey car park/supermarket building, inspired by the Tesco further down the line towards the London end. Pete Hollman (Sam Seagull on here) constructed it from foamboard and finished it in textured paint. The car park markings were created on an Excel spreadsheet!

Note the period Tesco logo - an '80s hangover from a couple of re-brands ago, assumed to have been current at the time of construction and not updated due to access/H&S reasons perhaps!

27757281324_471c78c993_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Passenger's eye view of the building and Martin Browning's (Tom Hark on here) bridge - no Kenny O layout can be complete without this!!

Finally I found this old pic of the entire layout and us doing our best to look corporate!

27757279504_19745eefdd_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Perfect layout to watch the trains go by, would be nice to see some photos of the 4 cep.

Just a quck question to see what lenght the layout is?

Thanks Ben!

Loftus Road has a 12'x2' scenic section, but given that it's a roundy-roundy one, is about 20'x10' altogether currently. That's set to change again very shortly as the new scenic boards and larger fiddle yard take shape.

I've posted pics of the Connex South Central VEP mostly on my OMWB thread on here but for anyone who missed it - this is 3486 in all its filthyness!

A real bit of scum, much like the real things!!

28091171470_24fbd6a4e6_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28091171160_148ee33694_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 18

Hi James,

I seem to have missed your recent  Loftus Road posts until now.  The pictures are very good, I especially like the work you have done on the car park markings.   The VEP weathering  certainly improves the basic model and those shots of the class 377 are inspiring me to have a go at one before long!

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Ben!

Loftus Road has a 12'x2' scenic section, but given that it's a roundy-roundy one, is about 20'x10' altogether currently. That's set to change again very shortly as the new scenic boards and larger fiddle yard take shape.

I've posted pics of the Connex South Central VEP mostly on my OMWB thread on here but for anyone who missed it - this is 3486 in all its filthyness!

A real bit of scum, much like the real things!!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVEP07.jpg

Heh, ten years ago I would have been catching that VEP to work green with envy at those on the more modern trains around me...

Great modelling, just how I remember the London-Brighton mainline!

• 1 month later...

Hi All

An update on progress with the Loftus Road upgrade,

The week before last Mark Butcher brought the shiny new additional baseboards to the WMRC clubroom.

This Thursday was spent attaching adjustable feet to the legs and temporarily erecting the boards to ensure they aligned correctly. This was just a formality as we were confident in Mark's carpentry skills.

The layout now looks absolutely massive although it's footprint has only been extended by 12 inches at the rear due to the larger fiddle yard.

Some pictures were taken on the night and I hope to get them uploaded as soon as I've figured out how to do it.

Up next is to agree the trackplan and fit the alignment dowels along with the 'T' nuts and fixing bolts.

Regards

Pete

Edited by Sam Seagull
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK as promised, here are some of the early images for the new baseboards for the side scenic area and new fiddle yard that we are now installing on LR:

Firstly, here are the dreaded curves that we are replacing after six years!

post-901-0-64832800-1375981890.jpg

And here is an idea of the space we have to fill!

post-901-0-03013400-1375981936.jpg

Here are a few random pictures of the progress made. Special thanks to Mark Butcher for his speedy building of the boards and legs:

post-901-0-08948500-1375982078.jpg

post-901-0-35615700-1375982041.jpg

And a production line for attaching the adjustable feet to the legs:

post-901-0-57005800-1375982235.jpg

That's all for now folks. Next time, it'll be pictures of stage one of planning the fiddle yard lanes...

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 3

As promised, some more images of the baseboard phase of Loftus Road.

Follwing Pete Hollman, Mike Denwood and Mark Butcher working out the ways to maximise the fiddle yard, here is the first plan for the new sections:

post-901-0-15258100-1376074920.jpg

and here is the way we intend to transfer the same plan to the other end of the yard. Good old-fashioned tracing paper to copy the routes and then turned over to make sure that everything is facing the right way round.

post-901-0-92405100-1376075047.jpg.

In addition, as Loftus Road uses DCC to control the trains, we have decided to create power sections. This will be done using a Digitrax PM42 power management system, that allows us to set up four separate power districts. As we use Lenz DCC for controlling LR, we will not be using the additional functionality of feedback, although we have considered this! Attached to the bottom of the PM42 is a simpler way of connecting the DCC to each district and comes from LWH3 purchased from CoastalDCC. Much easier than trying to solder to 40+ connections!

post-901-0-63390000-1376075533.jpg

That's all for now folks - hopefully next week, corking the baseboards!

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few new shots of my First Capital Connect 'Electrostar' running on Loftus Road.

28295310171_74b68cc901_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28091263150_560cb1e996_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

27758277283_c7fd77c967_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

27758275813_349598560c_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28340530906_f272243183_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

More pictures and details about the unit can be found on my workbench page - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44066-wells-green-tmd-377-electrostars-even-more-dirty-fun/

Loftus Road is undergoing an exciting new expansion and there will soon be plenty of room for more electric projects like the above!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 16

Truly stunning and very well captured  :sungum: such a sorry state the graffiti :paint:  but its the signs of the times, very brave move modeling this I must say it really adds to the realism :locomotive: 

Well done keep the updates coming.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chaps,

It's been a while since the last update, so thought I'd share a few of the latest progress...

27758289103_16288e353f_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Headline news being...we have a fab new fiddle-yard!

Track is going down on the boards and we now have a complete circuit, playtime will begin as soon as the wiring is sorted..!

28340539656_aa667ff7fa_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

These new extensions mean more room for scenic fun too - here we can see the Northern end of Loftus Road - all the bare baseboards will eventually be fully scenic'd, with some exciting ideas on the drawing board. Our end-bridge fiddle-yard scenic break is now becoming standard overbridge, so LR gangmember Mike D is tasked with building a Deep Fill version with added girth!

28091265330_cc7139f85b_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Meanwhile all this massive rework is being done, please see below for the sum of my creations! I've just soldered a small handrail seen at the end of the platform, to stop passengers falling off the edge...must try harder!!

28340537906_72753d4521_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We're booked in for Salisbury show next year, so it's all hands on deck!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 11