• RMweb Gold

If anyone has any doubts about the ability of model railways to make people smile, here is a link to some footage we shot at Southampton's Show on Sunday (27th January) before the public came in. Ian Bishop (Legomanbiffo of this parish) loaned us his HST set, fitted with sound and Earthmover speakers.

The sheer joy on James Makin's face was like a small child getting everything they ever wanted for Christmas - forever.

The video doesn't do Ian's work justice. Suffice it to say that we are seriously looking at learning how to mill out our chassis on our stock to fit suitable speakers as the sound was simply awesome!

Wow

That sounds a hell of a lot better than what I’ve heard before

James, what was the source of the Fiat? Some great modelling there. For memories sake I feel like I should be modelling my friends 1989 Honda Civic which was in much the same state after rolling down a hill into a lamp post. (Although it did happen 3 years after the year in which my layout is set.)

One day I really need to see the layout again!

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

Excellent modelling guys...the little cameo scenes are (in my opinion) what makes a layout. There isn’t always a constant procession of trains to look at on the real railway!

When will the layout be coming further north again?

Jack.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 7:32 AM, Jack374 said:

When will the layout be coming further north again?

Not sure if this will work as I am posting during the rebuild but here goes...

Our next outing with LR is to our Worthing show at the end of September. We then have a date in Taunton for RailEx (26th and 27th October 2019). After that, we have a few shows in 2020 - Basingstoke and Corsham (Wilts). At the moment, the nearest to 'the north' would be Spalding at the end of 2020...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Not sure if this will work as I am posting during the rebuild but here goes...

Our next outing with LR is to our Worthing show at the end of September. We then have a date in Taunton for RailEx (26th and 27th October 2019). After that, we have a few shows in 2020 - Basingstoke and Corsham (Wilts). At the moment, the nearest to 'the north' would be Spalding at the end of 2020...

I will have to try and get Taunton into my diary in that case

• Tempfix
On 1/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, James Makin said:

But alas, with the hire car lottery, I was not a jackpot winner! I didn't even get '3 numbers' and a Mercedes Sprinter, no, it was a Peugeot Boxer! The handbrake was bizarrely on the right hand side of the vehicle, a first experience for me in a right hand drive vehicle!

46184867104_9a9f1569eb_k.jpg

Great photos as ever. I feel your pain with this though. We have two school minibuses that are Boxers. If there is a way to get out of the drivers seat without hooking the back of your trousers on the handbrake I have yet to find it! (always much to the amusement of a bus load of teenagers!)

Rich

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 19:45, James Makin said:

Well it's been a while since the last update, but despite sweltering weather and violent thunderstorms the gang have battled on to make Loftus Road ready for our upcoming debut at Worthing MRC show on 27 & 28 September.

Pete, Chris, Mark 1 and Mark 2 and the gang have been busy connecting the new fiddle yard boards, installing point motors, wiring up the vast array of new pointwork and electronics for the new control panels.

With the major permanent way being taken care of, I've been (unwisely) entrusted with doing some of the arty farty scenery bits, including some sizeable new bolt-on West London cityscape scenes which are in development and also some of the track detailing.

Following on from the last post, the cable trunking has now been laid -

28257912016_cc9692bab3_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

These are all individual bits of Plastruct square, chopped to the correct size and interspersed with actual 'U' channel so we can lay some cables inside where lids are missing, and also model the instances where the lids crack in two and drop down into the gap.

I painted these with a blend of greys and weathered using a few darker greys and the paint-on/wipe-off method.

27676407143_f893fc849e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We're constantly trying to add more detail onto the existing centre boards, I've just installed some more platform signage this week but here's a few other lineside details which aren't always so noticeable at first glance!

28257914306_68b275e693_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Network Rail get to work on the back of VC698, on the signal gantry scratchbuilt  (with working signals) by Pete Hollman, while below we have the secluded equipment hut with someone in the background cheekily relieving themselves! 

27675992314_aaf90f53d1_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28188072882_ec28f2cb9d_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

London isn't London without a spot of graffiti and here's some on the bridge retaining walls, not normally visible from the public's viewpoint

28257918126_69e6469885_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Then we have the legendary graffiti below, shamelessly copied from the real Kensington Olympia, which could be seen on the station fencing in the mid-2000s.

28292033745_035e1daa9d_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

27675995924_2591ff1dd3_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

More signage has gone in lately, including the 'don't you dare walk off the platform' signs, naturally with a trainspotter who has decided to go beyond the line...perhaps there's a steam special approaching!! ;)

28292026275_58e2a59436_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

But it's not all about the railway, the surrounding London is gradually being modelled and the existing Tesco car park is due to have another storey added on top in due course!

27675987694_42e4d2edb5_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There's many more exciting jobs to be done but the race is now on to get the layout fully functional for the Worthing show, and those blank gaps of MDF will get filled - it'll be alright on the night!

Hi James, thought I'd go through this excellent thread from the beginning. Did you create the U troughs from three separate pieces of plastic, or did you find another source for making these? Fantastic way of saving money over the RTB stuff...

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi James, thought I'd go through this excellent thread from the beginning. Did you create the U troughs from three separate pieces of plastic, or did you find another source for making these? Fantastic way of saving money over the RTB stuff...

Cheers

Thanks! The troughs were a mix of U-shaped styrene strip with caps and also solid square-shape plastic cut to the same dimensions (which is a lot cheaper to buy) so a combination was used to make up the overall scene, with the U shaped trough used sparingly for the bits that had the caps tossed to one side and the cables exposed!

Amazing seeing the pics dug out from 2014, it seems like only yesterday but I’d forgotten that the scenic boards have changed so much...the image where the cable trough is visible is taken at almost exactly the same angle as my recent updates’ image of the old townhouses now sitting there around the track! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2019 at 17:51, lmsforever said:

Every time you post another news flash its always interesting seeing how the layout details grow plus the quality of everything on it makes it worthwhile viewing.Is that a canal in the background?

Funnily enough, the one thing we have never tried to do is water - don't know why but there is not a great deal near Kenny O. I suppose that the nearest would either be the Round Pond in Kensington Park or the Thames at Hammersmith.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2013 at 22:30, James Makin said:

I wish supermarkets also had extra-wide spaces for people who value the paintwork on their car doors!!

So there we go, an ordinary car and ordinary scene made for an extraordinarily fun little detailing session!

Cheers,

James 

They do...but you tend to have to get some children as well, and they can be at least as bad for your car!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, saxokid said:

Still coming along great I see James

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil, it’s getting there! We’ve got the layout packed away at the moment but it’s likely to come out soon to make some running repairs and get it ready for our next show at our Worthing MRC annual exhibition on Sep 28 & 29 - I am sure the intervening months will fly by!

Cheers,

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks Neil, it’s getting there! We’ve got the layout packed away at the moment but it’s likely to come out soon to make some running repairs and get it ready for our next show at our Worthing MRC annual exhibition on Sep 28 & 29 - I am sure the intervening months will fly by!

Cheers,

James

Ive also had to sort out few little niggles on Banks road wiring loomhopefully have running evening at clubhouse tomorrow..

cheers neil..

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:16, James Makin said:

Thanks! The troughs were a mix of U-shaped styrene strip with caps and also solid square-shape plastic cut to the same dimensions (which is a lot cheaper to buy) so a combination was used to make up the overall scene, with the U shaped trough used sparingly for the bits that had the caps tossed to one side and the cables exposed!

Amazing seeing the pics dug out from 2014, it seems like only yesterday but I’d forgotten that the scenic boards have changed so much...the image where the cable trough is visible is taken at almost exactly the same angle as my recent updates’ image of the old townhouses now sitting there around the track! 

Cheers,

James

Cheers James, that is most helpful.  I am slowly working my way through the entire thread...

Must admit that I am switching to a west of London theme for my layout and Loftus Road has been the catalyst, allows a bit more colour and variation than just the SW, but allows SW running...  Looking forward to the updated article coming next month and I will one day see the work in the flesh... Still love the crane as well.

The one thing I haven't seen and sorry if it is there is a track plan  /layout from above to show how it all sits and joins up. Cheers

Edited by GEOEng03
add last sentence

On 08/03/2019 at 17:00, GEOEng03 said:

Must admit that I am switching to a west of London theme for my layout and Loftus Road has been the catalyst, allows a bit more colour and variation than just the SW, but allows SW running...  Looking forward to the updated article coming next month and I will one day see the work in the flesh... Still love the crane as well.

The one thing I haven't seen and sorry if it is there is a track plan  /layout from above to show how it all sits and joins up. Cheers

The crane is a Kibri kit (12022 if I remember rightly) which sits on the site of what originally was going to be Kensington Cemetery. When we looked at that corner, we realised that there was the opportunity to add some extra height and a crane was a simple way of doing this. Of course, once Crossrail ends, then we'll have to think about how we use that corner again - HS2, any proposed north-south rail route, a new mega-sewer project...

As for a track plan, there was one published in the June 2012 copy of BRM. However, by a stroke of luck, a "very soon to be published issue" of a rival magazine will feature LR, so there may be a track plan there for you as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

The crane is a Kibri kit (12022 if I remember rightly) which sits on the site of what originally was going to be Kensington Cemetery. When we looked at that corner, we realised that there was the opportunity to add some extra height and a crane was a simple way of doing this. Of course, once Crossrail ends, then we'll have to think about how we use that corner again - HS2, any proposed north-south rail route, a new mega-sewer project...

As for a track plan, there was one published in the June 2012 copy of BRM. However, by a stroke of luck, a "very soon to be published issue" of a rival magazine will feature LR, so there may be a track plan there for you as well.

Thanks for reply.  Seeing the works first hand at Old Oak Common, I am sure that you will have plenty of use for the carne or that corner of the layout.

I have just purchased the electronic version of the June 12 magazine, so thanks for that, will keep me entertained on the train later this week. Good upsell for BRM as well, assume you'll get commission... :D. Had seen that It is in a rival magazine next month. Currently on Page 12 of the thread.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/03/2019 at 07:14, Harry Lime said:

Got my copy of the Hornby magazine through the post today and sure enough there was a nice article about loftus road in all its 20ft by 12ft glory. And it's even got a track plan with some cracking shots of the layout. Worth getting the magazine for the article alone. Well done to all at Worthing model railway club. Will Look forward to hopefully seeing it in September again. 

Regards Gary 

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Glad someone bumped up the thread, great to catch up on all the work that’s been done since I last saw the layout over 4 years ago.

You have an amazing talent for reproducing the little every day things that make it so realistic. The amount of work that everyone has put into the layout is mind boggling. It’s one of those benchmark layouts that I’m unashamedly going to steal ideas and inspiration from :biggrin_mini2:

Looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work

Ryan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1