• RMweb Premium

Nice, I have a ST but would love a RS. But would love your model fuel station to.

Great choice! What year/colour/spec ST did you go for? 

ST is a fantastic all-rounder, it literally does everything so well, B-road blaster, family load filler or a great motorway cruiser!

I like the small turbo on the ST, really quick around town, the big turbo RS is kind of all-or-nothing, can be sluggish until 3k revs then all of a sudden a savage kick from behind!!

Hi guys,

As promised, here's some night pictures we tried of Loftus and the petrol station last Thursday night - 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaLRPS35.jpg

Definitely looks like a cold winter's night at Loftus Road! 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaLRPS34.jpg

The shop comes alive once the lights go on, thankfully that hidden interior is not so hidden now!

We need to tinker with the main sign to reduce the local brightness of the LEDs but otherwise there! With the rush to finish this for Stafford I didn't get the chance to test all the lighting before sealing inside the structures so I was amazed it all worked when Chris connected it to the power supply!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaLRPS33.jpg

Since we had the lights off, I also took loads more night photos of the layout, only had the iPhone to hand so they're a little bit grainy!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaLRPS37.jpg

We can see the working signal gantries built by Pete Hollman, it's all timed and linked to the routes, so trains pass over sensors and the aspects return to red, before cycling through the different colours after a set time.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaLRPS36.jpg

With all the different shades of lighting, this scene vaguely reminds me of the view flying into Ibiza airport at night!!

Wow! That petrol station just looks...right. The "colour" of the lighting just looks spot-on; I feel as if I could drive in there and fuel up. Just got to reduce my battered Rover 75 tourer to 1:76 scale.... :butcher:

Many thanks for posting the pics up and I'm looking forward to one day seeing the layout in the flesh.

Cheers

Jon F.

• Like 1

For those of you who are of a nervous disposition, you may want to look away now...just to say that the garage was balanced 6ft above the ground, without a safety harness, whilst I sorted the electrics for James. But as the pictures James has posted show, the garage survived.

post-901-0-92365300-1421180559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

where did you find the modern image cars?

I'm a fan of the HO 1:87 scale ranges of cars from Herpa, Busch, Wiking and Reitze - normally picked up at shows or retailers who import foreign ranges such as Gaugemaster down here in Sussex.

They're a bit underscale vs the Oxford range of OO cars but the plus side is that the variety of cars is a lot larger, though somewhat biased towards Germanic VAG types...Reitze are the best as they also do a range of Fords however!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's not long until the Stafford show now! This will be our first properly 'Northern' show, and we're on a promise of Premier Inn all-you-can-eat Full English Breakfasts on both days, instant win! I'm expecting to have so much bacon that a mobility scooter will be required to get around the show afterwards.

But this is just a quick note to say come along and say Hi to the gang - Pete, Chris, Mike, Mark and myself, be good to put some faces to the RMWeb names!

We'll have loads of new stock to play with and some cracking scenary on our new extended boards, including an exciting West London landmark Pete's built, which has yet to appear on this very thread!

Some may have seen my workbench thread but I've recently finished my FGW HST power cars -

28010173140_1dd732127a_b.jpgHST power cars by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Can't wait to get the HST flying around Loftus Road, and me pretending I'm back at Didcot in those heady late 90s days! There might even be some sound if Charlie Petty has popped a certain Legomanbiffo package in the post!!

The power cars are painted green and covered in a set of custom transfers I designed myself and now available to buy through Railtec Transfers - they're really metallic!

28187613042_219c631f5a_b.jpgHST power cars by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

That's all for now, off to the club later to get things packed up and ready for some action this weekend, hope to see you there!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 9

Can't wait to get the HST flying around Loftus Road, and me pretending I'm back at Didcot in those heady late 90s days! There might even be some sound if Charlie Petty has popped a certain Legomanbiffo package in the post!!

James,

These look really good and I am looking forward to seeing these run on LR. However, for that to happen do I need to bring the SPROG and laptop with me?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

James, These look really good and I am looking forward to seeing these run on LR. However, for that to happen do I need to bring the SPROG and laptop with me? Chris

Yes please! I have also cleaned a couple of wheels this time, as it's a special occasion :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Really looking forward to seeing Loftus Road for the first time at Stafford. Totally envious of your modelling.

Regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel! Likewise, been following your Melangoose thread, great concept and looking forward to seeing that in the flesh!

Hi

Spent 30 minutes on Sunday afternoon watching the procession of trains heading through this west London location. Was very impressed, thought it was the best layout at Stafford, and when you consider the other great layouts there. It just shows you how good Loftus Road is. Big thanks to Pete, James and the team for keeping me well entertained.

Regards

Nigel