• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Excellent photos of the layout and stock, the 47's look very nice as does that mesh sided OBA. I'm sure I've read it somewhere on here how you did it but what mesh did you use?

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark! I made the mesh-side OBA using the Shawplan etched brass mesh, then the little frames were just Krystal Klear glue dabbed on over certain sections and painted in the right colours. I've put a post up on my Workbench thread (linked in my sig) - sometime back middle of last year!

I had to rebuild the floor as part of the project, so only the bogies and ends remain from the original Bachmann model, the rest is scratchbuilt/bodged! There might be a feature coming up in REX possibly as well fingers crossed!

More impressive work James :paint: :locomotive:

Ive had go at painting up few of my own OBA and OAA wagons,after looking at your fab ones...

cheers neil..

Thanks for this Neil, just had a look - nice! It reminds me that I must get round to tackling some of the OAA versions as well, going to try and mate some of mine onto custom chassis but they're well down the queue at the moment! Wagons like these are almost like the old 'private owner' coal wagons from steam days - every single one has a different livery and they make a great little self-contained modelling project!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent six hours travelling with James to and from DEMU yesterday, there was plenty of time to generate new ideas for additional scenic detailing on LR. These will have to be discussed and agreed with Sam Seagull and the rest of the LR team, but we think that these may "enhance the viewing experience" as they say.

In true Blue and Red Box form, we could also make these announcements this year and you could possibly see the outcome in about 36 48 to 48 60 months time...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, musings over. Having discussed what to do with the last available building plot on LR, we (Pete, James, Mike, Mark and I) have decided that we need a different building where the churchyard currently sits (front right as you look at LR).

The proposal is to construct a version of the Empress State Building (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_State_Building). Whilst this will not be directly beside Pete's elegantly crafted Earl's Court, it will enhance the skyline, albeit in a slightly different position.

There are a couple of issues that RMWebbers may be able to help with.

Firstly, getting hold of plans - current occupiers/users are the Met. For various reasons, they are unwilling/unable to release any details of the building. Does anyone have or have knowledge of where any plans may be found?

Secondly, I am thinking about making the windows in either laser cut card, or having them 3D printed. Any advice on which method is better would be gratefully received.

• Like 2

James,

The layout just keeps getting better and better. Those are superb shots from the Salisbury show! The Empress State Building would be a great addition too.

I love the road bridge... I cycle or drive over that bridge every week and it's more or less exactly right. You're missing some silver paint from my car on the (annoyingly placed!) bollards though and the pizza delivery guy's nipping down the bike lane (grrr!). ;)

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1

A suggestion for finding details of the Empress State Building is to look at the planning web-site of the local authority (Hammersmith and Fulham). The web-site has a map search function. A quick check suggests there are a number of applications for this building. Hopefully some may contain drawings that you can look at.

Need to be careful about copyright - so best not advertise the fact or pass them onto others.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

James,

The layout just keeps getting better and better. Those are superb shots from the Salisbury show! The Empress State Building would be a great addition too.

I love the road bridge... I cycle or drive over that bridge every week and it's more or less exactly right. You're missing some silver paint from my car on the (annoyingly placed!) bollards though and the pizza delivery guy's nipping down the bike lane (grrr!). ;)

Guy

Thanks Guy, means a lot coming from a local as well - I'll have to see what we can do regarding the silver paint!!

Sinclair Road is coming soon as well, very excited about the next phase of development!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

That petrol station is the best scatchbuilding I've ever seen. It's such an inspiration that it makes me want to go ahead with some scatchbuilding myself. How did you go about it? I'm pretty stuck at measurements and scaling to OO and I wonder if you have any tips for a newbie to the scratchbuilding process.

• RMweb Premium

That petrol station is the best scatchbuilding I've ever seen. It's such an inspiration that it makes me want to go ahead with some scatchbuilding myself. How did you go about it? I'm pretty stuck at measurements and scaling to OO and I wonder if you have any tips for a newbie to the scratchbuilding process.

Thanks! Its nice if it is inspirational, buildings are one of the most fun parts of doing a layout and can help it look a bit unique - I think the key part is looking at photos when doing something like this. As it is a current-day type project I started with Google Satellite and Google Streetview - you can get a sense of scale from looking at similar objects of known size e.g. how many Ford Transits can you fit in a space etc? If you have something handy on the workbench to scale from, it makes everything a lot easier. I'd also get hold of the Expo Tools scale ruler with the conversions of what everything is in 4mm:1ft scale so you can see all the scale feet/metres marked on your rule.

With the petrol station itself, I didn't have access to drawings but used a mix of guestimations and old fashioned Google research into all the regulations on how big certain items should be, distances between objects, space for fire exits etc etc - but generally if you model something from photographs then you can't go far wrong! Occasionally if you do get something the wrong size you can either bin it or bodge it - my pics don't show but in line with my projects there is always usually one major bodge along the way!! This particular bodge was with the height of the petrol station shop - it was too tall, but only got spotted halfway through the build requiring major surgery haha!

Hope this helps - as ever start with something small and quick, try a garden shed or a single car garage and see how you go! The most fun part is the painting/weathering stage and you can normally hide any mistakes with a good finishing process ;)

Cheers,

James

Do you have plans to do 47016 atlas ?

I'll never forget this old dinosaur turning up at risborough with a load of salmons as part of evergreen...

Lots of character and late 90s to boot

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you have plans to do 47016 atlas ?

I'll never forget this old dinosaur turning up at risborough with a load of salmons as part of evergreen...

Lots of character and late 90s to boot

That is a good shout Rob! I do have that one on my distant 'to-consider' list - fits perfectly in my desire for tatty vulnerable locos clinging on for life!! 47528 in tatty Intercity mainline is also on the list - any other 'Duff' suggestions?

I've got plans for a few Railfeight Distribution 47s and just last night I bought a Romanian 56 from fellow Loftus gang member Chris (Harry Lime on here) which will be repainted into a favourite - 56019 in classic Railfreight red stripe! This famously got in some action with Virgin Cross Country in 1998 so it'd be rude not to recreate that!!

• Like 2

Good old duffs.

I can't remember seeing many in the early EWS years.

I used to chase the Calvert bin liners a lot as they passed through the chilterns, where I lived, but these were never 47s - almost everything else but not those.

Project evergreen through up a lot of surprises - I do remember 2x RFD 47s top and tail shunting some salmons in and out of the former Thame branch one evening in a thunderstorm.

That's what I enjoyed about the period - unusual traction in unusual places

• Like 1

Thanks! Its nice if it is inspirational, buildings are one of the most fun parts of doing a layout and can help it look a bit unique - I think the key part is looking at photos when doing something like this. As it is a current-day type project I started with Google Satellite and Google Streetview - you can get a sense of scale from looking at similar objects of known size e.g. how many Ford Transits can you fit in a space etc? If you have something handy on the workbench to scale from, it makes everything a lot easier. I'd also get hold of the Expo Tools scale ruler with the conversions of what everything is in 4mm:1ft scale so you can see all the scale feet/metres marked on your rule.

With the petrol station itself, I didn't have access to drawings but used a mix of guestimations and old fashioned Google research into all the regulations on how big certain items should be, distances between objects, space for fire exits etc etc - but generally if you model something from photographs then you can't go far wrong! Occasionally if you do get something the wrong size you can either bin it or bodge it - my pics don't show but in line with my projects there is always usually one major bodge along the way!! This particular bodge was with the height of the petrol station shop - it was too tall, but only got spotted halfway through the build requiring major surgery haha!

Hope this helps - as ever start with something small and quick, try a garden shed or a single car garage and see how you go! The most fun part is the painting/weathering stage and you can normally hide any mistakes with a good finishing process ;)

Cheers,

James

Ah I see. Good thing I got myself a scale ruler with 1:76 measurements. I'll take a good look on google and see what I can find. I mainly want to build some low relief buildings that are more on the lines of 1950s concrete structures to finish off the street scene on my layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah I see. Good thing I got myself a scale ruler with 1:76 measurements. I'll take a good look on google and see what I can find. I mainly want to build some low relief buildings that are more on the lines of 1950s concrete structures to finish off the street scene on my layout.

Central Plymouth should give you plenty of inspiration.

• Like 1

Central Plymouth should give you plenty of inspiration.

Do you think so? :scratchhead:  I never really noticed before, even though I've been going there since I was a kid! ;). I'm mainly looking around for the odd building to fill in the rest of my high street and mainly been looking for shops and the like in the west Midlands area, which my layout is set. Had I known this whilst I was studying up there then I would have taken more of a look around. Even if I wanted too I wouldn't have the time to do so, being in my third year and having to spend more time on campus than the city. I'll take a look on google maps and see what I can find and of course I live in Newquay which is only an hours drive for me. Trouble is my car might not make it there! :mosking:  Thanks for the advice.