British outline locos overseas

Black8

24 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Err, weren't they built in Germany in the first place?

P86 stock (01-11) was built in Germany. P89 stock (12-21) was built by BREL. The one in the picture was originally DLR 10.

Cheers

David

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:53, relaxinghobby said:

What do you think of my diagram which is drawn with an 00 model in mind, can I get the two rear wheels close to the middle pair with 00 flanges?

Were these Australian locos similar to long boiler industrial types used in the UK?

The flanges won't be any trouble. If they do foul with the wheel tyres at nominal new diameter, the simple and perfectly realistic* way around the difficulty is to reduce tyre diameter within the wear range permitted in service. It is realistic because every loco out in service was running with worn tyres, and turning to reprofile was and remains a routine maintenance procedure on rail vehicles. This worked for the RTR OO model of the Ivatt Atlantic which at new tyre diameter has the flanges just an inch and a quarter apart, the Stephenson long boiler locos typically had a larger spacing than that.

The pictures of the example at Thirlmere NSW is similar to UK locos alright, even down to the very traditional livery colour choices and lining style from the dawn of the railway in the North-East. Plonk that down on the NER and it would have looked very much at home.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Found whilst trawling the net;

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?017,4575651,4576693#msg-4576693

German text but "google" or similar offers a decent translation.

2 x Beyer-Peacock 0-6-2 saddle tanks for service in Sweden, built new in 1908 for the "Bergslagernas Järnvägar", No's 56 and 57.

Cheers,

John.

PS I did search for a previous mention of these but the closest I found in this topic were some Finnish machines.

59 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Found whilst trawling the net;

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?017,4575651,4576693#msg-4576693

German text but "google" or similar offers a decent translation.

2 x Beyer-Peacock 0-6-2 saddle tanks for service in Sweden, built new in 1908 for the "Bergslagernas Järnvägar", No's 56 and 57.

Looks like almost identical motion gear to the NSW A93 (later Z19) class, also built by Beyer Peacock.

NSWGR_Class_Z19_Locomotive.jpg

EDIT: Identical size cylinders but slightly smaller driving wheels.

Cheers
David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 2

Here's another YouTube video but this time a diesel. AI&S or Australian Iron and Steel bought English Electric diesels to replace the 0-6-0 steam locos. There was a famous photo of one of the EE diesels with a long line of the former steam locos. Most of the steam locos met their end in a blast furnace and now some of these diesels have gone into preservation. This railway was only around for a few years and I don't know what happened to D10 and the loco is in it's AI&S original livery. This diesel is from the era when diesels made "noise". Today's diesels are shaped like house bricks and sound like vacuum cleaners. D10 has the feel of a rather enlarged EE type 1 or class 20.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 3

This video is one of four and shows Burma Mines Railway. The two steam locos are a 0-4-2 Kerr Stewart No.13 of 1914 and a 2-6-2 Bagnell No. 42 of 1928. Neither is in regular service. This railway can only be visited by special tour groups. There's also a Japanese Hino truck converted to rail use an O&K 0-6-0 DH and a Wickham rail car.   There is a derailment in this video which in western countries would demand an inquiry. However here one hour later the track is repaired, the loco re-railed and the day carries on. 

• Like 2

Are the Tasrail ZA  English Electric Rocklea built locos such as the ZA  classed as Australian, British or American outline? :)

Really enjoyed chasing them on the Railton coal train during a short holiday in Launceston in 2007-8

• Like 3

In part four of four we get to see one sick Bagnell. A cross head bearing plate falls out and the crew fashions a replacement from a piece of wood (can't see this being done on the Severn Valley Railway if it happened to them) and with near endless slipping the poor loco climbs the spiral.

Despite all the slipping there's no rolling clouds of black smoke. I have no idea what sort of "coal" is used but it burns very cleanly.

Edited by faulcon1

If you ever wanted to see British "Dubdee's" or Austerity 2-8-0's (Jeeps!) operating in Holland after the war, here you go;

This film also shows a couple of nice clips of the LNER electric loco "Tommy" operating as well as numerous native Dutch built machines - which to my eye, have a rather British look to them.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

This film also shows a couple of nice clips of the LNER electric loco "Tommy" operating as well as numerous native Dutch built machines - which to my eye, have a rather British look to them.

Much of the Dutch steam fleet had British origins, John. Here's a link to my collection of pre-war Dutch negatives on my web site ……..

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railway-overseas/Europe/Dutch-Railways/Holland-Nederland-1/

Mike M.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sir douglas said:

th little tipong engine is a bagnall, tipong also has an ex darjeeling B class

the burma mines tender engine is a North British

NB - burma mines.jpg

The surviving Burma mines 262 is a bagnall.

burma-mines-fp.jpg

The north British 062s didn't last so long, being supplanted by the bagnall 262 and 262t post ww1.

12 hours ago, John M said:

Are the Tasrail ZA  English Electric Rocklea built locos such as the ZA  classed as Australian, British or American outline? :)

A curious hybrid. Mechanically they are basically a class 37. EE Rocklea built several mechanically similar locos but with different bodies. The WAGR C, K and R class and QR 1300 class have very similar specifications. The QR 2350 and 2370 class were an evolution with engines uprated to 2350hp.

But the Tasmanian V/Va class shunters would be more familiar as an off shelf Vulcan/Drewry design. Effectively a narrow gauge version of the class 04.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sir douglas said:

th little tipong engine is a bagnall, tipong also has an ex darjeeling B class

the burma mines tender engine is a North British

NB - burma mines.jpg

The 0-4-2 Bagnell is named "David" and the ex Darjeeling 0-4-0 is No. 789. They have other ex Darjeeling locos there but that's the only serviceable one. The bright ring around the smoke box door is mud and it's used for sealing it. Dai Jones on the Tallyllyn said that in the old company days Dolgoch had leaking tubes and oatmeal was used to plug the holes. He said it only lasted a day or two and all you could smell was porridge.

The Burma Mines Railway does the same thing. Their Kerr Stewart loco No. 13 has to my ears a very similar whistle to a Bulleid Merchant Navy/ West Country class loco.

Thanks to RosiesBoss for all those photographs above, They are helping me sort out my drawing of this long boiler type.

I've redrawn my sketch in the computer using Inkscape to draw up a cutting plan for the various parts. I thought I had some competence in using Inkscape which is a 2D drawing package intended more for graphic artists rather than budding model engineers trying to do computer aided design.

I have not used the Inkscape for several months and have already forgotten loads of it's features , is it me or is this normal mental behavior of ones brain?

To test the drawing I've used it to make a quick cardboard and paper mock up to see how it looks. As I'm adapting a broad gauge design to 4mm 00 narrow gauge, I'm not sure how wide to make the footplate I've tried 30mm or 7 ft 6 in here.

So here it is for your delectation and critique.

1-P1010246.JPG.b7cb92dc06f90f65608c29f2c070d73e.JPG

1-P1010247.JPG.297ee975be0ded6726aa0a638e1db282.JPG

I think the boiler could be fatter, I've already sliced 3mm off the bottom of the cab.

1-P1010249.JPG.ad56d64eefa881ad6aefbf914a10ccf0.JPG

Some old photos show that the tender dwarfs the loco.

1-P1010252.JPG.3623e83f08f9f52420bc191343726fbf.JPG

1-P1010256-001.JPG.329dee57ca15fa63e39e301873c65b06.JPG

I found this vintage glue it is still viable, solvent glue would never last this long without going hard,  40 years old or older?

• Like 1

Don't think I have seen Croid on sale since the 1960s.

The works where it was made is of railway interest as it was served by both the LMS and LNER, bringing in the feedstock to 'British Glues and Chemicals' accompanied by the plentiful buzzing flies. A rarely modelled traffic for some strange reason. Do you have a strong stomach? http://www.themeister.co.uk/hindley/vivian_suter_memories.htm

• Like 1

The NSW 1 class locomotives have been mentioned earlier in this thread, and their LNWR lineage commented on.  Also worthy of mention are the not greatly dissimilar engines of the M36 class.

Four members of the M36 class 0-4-2 locomotives were placed in service around 1871 (built locally by the railway workshops at Eveleigh).  In 1874 the NSW railways received replacement frames from Robert Stephenson & Co for the rebuilding of locomotives 1-4 but it was decided to use the replacement frames to construct four new M36 class rather than rebuilding the worn out 1 class locomotives.  The tenders from the 1 class locomotives were rebuilt for use with the new locomotives.

M78 survived scrapping by being sold in 1896 to a contractor for railway construction work.  By the late 1920s, it found itself mounted on a plinth outside the railway offices at Enfield.  Here's a photo I took of it in 1969 - interesting to see it finished in black lined with red and light grey (or at least it looks like light grey - it's so badly weathered you can hardly tell):

E_020.JPG.128b5859c076cfadccf1ad30d1f79d78.JPG

And, on a different note, I may have missed it, as the thread is 10 pages long, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the Caledonian "Jumbos" that went to France in WWI some of which, if I recall correctly, were lost at sea.

Edited by Wolseley
(correcting typo)
  • Like 1