British outline locos overseas

Black8

A GWR Prarie made the rounds a few years back. poland, Turkey, France, Holland I think. It even headed the Orient Express for a liitle while.

I also know 'Fenchurch' from the Bluebell went to Holland for a visit

• Like 1

here's a few of Robinson's GCR 8K/O4 2-8-0's here in Austraila.

They were brought out here to work the coal mine lines in NSW at some point and now they are just sitting in a Private museum at Dorrigo rusting away as far as I know.

There are 3 survivors of the 23 or so bought by J.A. Brown. Two are at Dorrigo but one is at the Richmond Vale Railway and is (very) slowly being restored.

The Victorian Railways F class diesel shunter should be very familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VR_F202_DSC01872.JPG

Cheers

David

• Like 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nottsexminer/6137471630/

NS class 600, although weirdly this one is in Derbyshire...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29903115@N06/3475211171/

Rhodesia Railways DE4, built on the same line as Brush Type 4 at Loughborough.  Looks a little like a China Railways DF4 which I hadn't noticed before...

http://www.derbysulzers.com/cubabrush2501.jpg

Cuban railways Brush type 4...

Not sure if to include English Electric locomotives in Portugal, as they look pretty different to the class 20 and 50....

This Flickr group 'British Export Trains' has a whole bunch of interesting stuff to peer at....

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

Follow the Army, over the years they have sold/left lots of Bitish built equipment abroad!

Mark Saunders

Good advice! Engines used by the ROD got to many parts of the world, and quite a few stayed there. A very quick, and certainly incomplete, list would include (in no particular order), GCR O4, LMS 8F, NBR 'C' class (J36), GWR Dean Goods, GWR 'Standard Goods', GWR 43XX, NER T1 (Q5), CR 294 class ('Jumbo'), LMS 0-6-0T ('Jinty'), GER Y14 (J15), LNWR 'Coal Engines'and LSWR 0395 class.

Apart from the Western Front, a lot of those 'called up' in WW1 went to Greece, Turkey and the Middle East and some were taken into stock of local railways afterwards. In WW2, all the engines that had been taken to France before June 1940 had to be abandoned there. Many were used by French railways, but others were taken by the Germans and used further east in Europe - Poland, Russia and Belarus. And after WW2, some of the Dean Goods that had been requisitioned by the ROD were sent to China.

With the exception of some of the GCR O4s, LMS 8Fs and GWR 43XXs, all of these ROD engines would have run in the UK before going abroad.

LROD 2 foot gauge locos were plentiful in France in WW1. Hunslet 4-6-0s, Westinghouse, Motor Rail, Bagually petrol locos, and of course the Baldwin 4-6-0s and Alco 2-6-2s, built in the US but for the UK government to their requirements

Not really a British loco, but the Subway (underground) cars for the Toronto Subway in Canada were British built...

per wikipedia

The G-series rapid transit cars were a Toronto subway car model, built between 1953 and 1959. The cars were built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company for the Toronto Transit Commission.

The cars are influenced by Gloucester's Q38 and R stocks built for the London Underground. Since the TTC's original concept for the subway system foresaw the use of rapid transit cars derived from the PCC streetcar, like the Chicago Transit Authority's 6000-series cars, they also bear some minor influences of these. These influences are visible in the use of bulls-eye incandescent lighting similar to that of a PCC car (one pair of cars later had fluorescent lighting installed),[2] and the small operator's cabin located in the front left corner of each car. The Chicago influence was felt through the work of DeLeuw, Cather & Co. of Chicago, whom the TTC contracted as a consultant for the rapid transit project.

The G-series cars were frequently described as "robust and reliable", despite being constructed overweight and energy-inefficient. The last cars in this series were retired from revenue service in 1990.[2]

The only surviving cars in original condition are 5098/5099, which reside at the Halton County Radial Railway in Milton, Ontario.[1]

There's a few of Robinson's GCR 8K/O4 2-8-0's here in Austraila.

They were brought out here to work the coal mine lines in NSW at some point and now they are just sitting in a Private museum at Dorrigo rusting away as far as I know.

There are 3 survivors of the 23 or so bought by J.A. Brown. Two are at Dorrigo but one is at the Richmond Vale Railway and is (very) slowly being restored.

If I remember correctly, 20 and 24 are at Dorrigo, and 23 is the one owned by the RVR. #20 is unique being the only surviving 8K/ROD built by North British. I have (low quality phone photos) somewhere that I'll dig out of the RODs at Dorrigo last year.

As well as the RODs, J&A Brown bought several other engines over from England, including 'The Major', a Mersy Railway 0-6-4T (currently down at the RTM), and various others which have just slipped my memory.

The RTM also has a 15"(?) Hunslet 0-6-0, and there are various clones around as well.

• Like 1

Oh yes, forgot to mention that Class 66,08,20, and 67 have all either run abroad or seen use there

As well as 03, 08, 14, Class 126 DMUs, the "Kerosene Castle". You could even argue the 4 VEP that went over to the test track in Germany, numerous army locomotives.

One of the most amazing sights for me was a photograph of a Southern 12T van in a yard in Vienna, Austria.

There were also movements of BR built kit to tradeshows in Europe. Anyone remember the entourage of classes 89,90,91 and 150/2 off to the show in Hamburg ?

If you type "Tallowood st Dorrigo NSW" into google street view you can get a good look at the 2 RODs they are at the very end of the long line of steam locos quite close to the road. I don't know how to imbed steetview into a post here otherwise I would.

• Like 1

Here we go:

And some British built. C30 class tank (Beyer Peacock) and rebuilt C30 tank into a tender engine (Beyer Peacock/Everleigh Workshops).

Bit dodgy, as mentioned they were taken on my phone

EDIT: Pictures failed again, so I'll post them here later, although they are in my gallery:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2280-dorrigo-steam-railway-and-museum/

Edited by 69843

RODs ran in France, Egypt, Syria, Palestine, Lebanon and Iraq during WW1. After the war, some were sold to Australia and China.

LMS 8Fs went to Egypt, Iran, Italy and Palestine (later Israel). Some were later sold to Turkey and Iraq. A few also ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic.

WD Austerity 2-8-0s went to France and the Netherlands,. Some later went to Hong Kong, the Netherlands and Sweden.

Not forgetting that Kestrel went to Russia.

Cheers

David

Lest we froget as well: Flying Scotsman, Coronation (Duchess of Hamilton Really, but let's gloss over that one), and King George V all went to America on special tours, and that Pendennis castle ended up in Australia.

GWR Dean Goods(?) 0-6-0s and GWR 2-6-0s both ended up in france in WW1, and a large number of the 0-6-0s went back in WW2.

I recall hearing the story of one engine (a Dean goods I think) that went to france in both WW1 & WW2, was captured by the germans in the latter, captured by the Russians from them used for a long time, repatriated and then shipped to China! It may even have been brought back by the preservation movement, I cant remember that far :)

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1