British outline locos overseas

Black8

18 hours ago, LMS Bess said:

Chen, many thanks, this is amazing info and photographs. 

I am always up for visiting railway museums and yours is on a list I was dreaming about and then Covid happened. Perhaps on the other side. (My grandmother used to tell me never to travel to the middle east 'In case they recognise the face' but I think this was mostly in jest.) 

My other thread on here is where I muddle through fixing up a dublo gauge 0-6-0 chassis, assisted by patient rmweb posters, so I think if I do anything with the PR project it'll be 0-6-0 based, and I'll probably bash together a body shell of some sort. It has the wrong running gear for an American style tank but I can probably ignore this. (Did you say there was also a Hunslet?) 

To that end, I have a few more Qs about the limestone quarry scene at Athlit: 

- is the rolling stock we see in the picture special to that project, and did it ever involve the British outline open wagons? 

- limestone loading - by mechanical shovel (if that's what the machinery in the background is) or by hand? And would it tend to be loaded in cut squares or rough debris form? 

- the fellas up on the cliff with what looks like climbing gear - they presumably are either chipping out the limestone or lining the quarry with explosive? 

- is there a map or failing that a standard formula for the arrangement of the quarry sidings? 

Cheers! 

Of the 16 Hunslet 0-6-0ST owned by the HHWD, 4 were of the outside-cylinder variety (see leaflets below for comparison). They were split between the Haifa Harbour construction site and the Athlit quarries. Later 2 were moved to the Jaffa Port upgrade works. Eventually several were sold back to the UK, while 7 were sold to the War Dpartment, (numbered WD 1-7) and used in 1940s by the Army in Palestine. The photo of W^D 1 below is apparantly representative of the livery applied by the military. The original HHWD livery was much more fancy, probably green lined in red.

Hunslet 0-6-0ST i-c Leaflet - Paul Cotterell collection.jpg

Hunslet 0-6-0ST o-c Leaflet - Paul Cotterell collection.jpg

קטר WD 1 בעיתוק בבסיס Barbara - 1941 - John Goggs, c. Ray Ellis.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, LMS Bess said:

Chen, many thanks, this is amazing info and photographs. 

I am always up for visiting railway museums and yours is on a list I was dreaming about and then Covid happened. Perhaps on the other side. (My grandmother used to tell me never to travel to the middle east 'In case they recognise the face' but I think this was mostly in jest.) 

My other thread on here is where I muddle through fixing up a dublo gauge 0-6-0 chassis, assisted by patient rmweb posters, so I think if I do anything with the PR project it'll be 0-6-0 based, and I'll probably bash together a body shell of some sort. It has the wrong running gear for an American style tank but I can probably ignore this. (Did you say there was also a Hunslet?) 

To that end, I have a few more Qs about the limestone quarry scene at Athlit: 

- is the rolling stock we see in the picture special to that project, and did it ever involve the British outline open wagons? 

- limestone loading - by mechanical shovel (if that's what the machinery in the background is) or by hand? And would it tend to be loaded in cut squares or rough debris form? 

- the fellas up on the cliff with what looks like climbing gear - they presumably are either chipping out the limestone or lining the quarry with explosive? 

- is there a map or failing that a standard formula for the arrangement of the quarry sidings? 

Cheers! 

The Athlit Quarry of the HHWD was not representative of rail-served quarries in Palestine, but is the most documented of them and had, by far, the most extensive standard gauge system. The diagram below was made by my good friend and mentor, the late Paul Cotterell, for his article on the subject published in Industrial Railway Journal 130 (with follow-ups in issues 132, 137, 145 and 231).

212233764_-1.jpg.e3604e5f55bd7253e273a5f66e6cd5ef.jpg

Some very good pictures of this quarry are available in the Matson Collection: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q= Athlit quarries.

Below are a some further pictures. The mainline-capable wagons, carrying "skips", were all converted from Palestine Railways 12t WD trucks (which I mentioned in an earlier post). Of the internal-user dumb-buffered antiques I know nothing...

241521487_-PalestinePost31_10_1933.jpg.6c82c1a5bb06998ff64bb7058f80d33e.jpg

1179361148_-1.jpg.83b1c98185eaa2e100c81ebb26a97b51.jpg

862295474_-2.jpg.9f17a1cd38a7fcfa297ffc3bf52e07ff.jpg

1587091138_--Alb-09_20.jpg.181468c4930d98905dc703a27d1908c2.jpg

2104229688_--Alb-09_21.jpg.cb3b7268db9e5b06cefc4ad12c75dee4.jpg

1509560026_-()-Abrasha008.jpg.8aeba60e624f63280a1b920c4f5b359d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, LMS Bess said:

My first thought regarding the quarry is either 'mainline with exchange sidings modelled and quarry in background' or 'either north or south quarry face'. Would make quite happy little shunting layouts. 

And don't forget a genuine Crusaders fort in the background! (It is visible in some of the photos I posted earlier)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_Pèlerin

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 29/10/2020 at 18:21, Andy Kirkham said:

That's a fascinating Flickr site; I'll be spending som time browsing that.

Meanwhile, who'd have guessed this was built by Henschel?

Egypt Railways - Egyptian State Railways 0-6-0ST steam locomotive No. 1177 (Henschel, 1904)

Actually, my friend Alon, who runs this flickr page, got this one slightly wrong - ESR 1177 is not exactly a Henschel product, rather an Egyptian conversion of a locomotive originally built by Henschel, as is explained in the attached scans from "The Locomotive". Mind you, the original engines were not designed by Henschel, but were copies of a series supplied by Franco-Belge.

Franco-Belge 0-6-0STs 511-514 (nee 411-414) of 1894, 515-535 of 1900 (later 0-6-0PTs 1157-1181) - E.L. Ahrons; J.M.E. Langton.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/09/2019 at 18:24, EddieB said:

Quite possibly.  It appears to have been a modification made by the railway, rather than an original feature.

So what to make of this replica to be found in a park in Huelva?  Not a true locomotive, although it may contain some parts from one or more locomotives, with other bits fashioned to fit.

Huelva1.JPG.654607a6e121565af51d86e234183f78.JPG

Huelva2.JPG.f3cc8262d20972bbb80b67bf654b224d.JPG

Bit late to this thread, but I really love this machine.  But then I'm a fan of theme park locomotives, and this has so many hallmarks of the sort of steam-outline diesel you'd get in the 80's at some second-string amusement park or seaside miniature railway.  Thanks for sharing these shots- I feel a powerful urge to make a model of this as my lockdown project for this Autumn :) 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2024 at 13:52, Trainnoob said:

The Turkish Republic railways 45151 Class was the LMS Stanier Class 8F that was shipped in kit form to the middle east, there where also some shipped to Israel. 

https://www.world-railways.co.uk/general-photo-251

Strictly speaking they were shipped to Palestine, which was under British control at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

There were loads of British built locos in Turkey both on the state railways and in industry. I recall visiting a sugar factory which used a Darlington built saddle tank... 

Turkiye Seker Fabrikalari/Turhal Sugar Factory using an 0-6-0ST built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns (RSH 7310/1947)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EddieB said:
13 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

There were loads of British built locos in Turkey both on the state railways and in industry. I recall visiting a sugar factory which used a Darlington built saddle tank... 

Turkiye Seker Fabrikalari/Turhal Sugar Factory using an 0-6-0ST built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns (RSH 7310/1947)?

Thank you for putting the record straight. There were actually very few British outline locomotives in Turkey. The one that you've defined was the only one at a sugar factory. There were a few *very few) solatary examples at coal mines and about half the fleet at a steel mill was British. Within the large postwar TCDD steam fleet only the twenty 8F's were of British outline.   

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, upneysidings said:

Thank you for putting the record straight. There were actually very few British outline locomotives in Turkey. The one that you've defined was the only one at a sugar factory. There were a few *very few) solatary examples at coal mines and about half the fleet at a steel mill was British. Within the large postwar TCDD steam fleet only the twenty 8F's were of British outline.   

I actually said 'British built' not 'British outline' ( hence the batch of German outline 56001 class is included)

But even given that - in addition to the 8Fs there were several British outline locos at Zonguldak, and back on TCDD,  the distinctly  British-styled ex ORC 46101 class (Robert Stephenson 2-8-2)  

• Agree 1

There were nearly two hundred British-built steam locomotives that went to Turkey.  Most were from orders sent directly, but aside from the 8Fs built for the War Department, six ex-GWR "Dean Goods" were taken into stock of the Ottoman Railway Company (ORC) from the Railway Operating Division post WW1.

It is debatable what is meant by "British outline", as there were various side-tank, saddle-tank and pannier-tanks supplied to industry which may have resemblance to some working in Britain (but not direct equivalence).  These apart from "British style" locomotives supplied to pre-nationalisation Turkish main-line companies.  Would the solitary ORC Beyer Garratt be classed as "British outline"?

As Gordon mentions, Beyer Peacock and Vulcan Foundry supplied locomotives of "German outline" to the state railways after WW2.

That is to say nothing of British-built "Turkish outline" locomotives in Britain.  From ORC cancelled orders the London, Chatham & Dover Railway had four Robert Stephenson 4-4-0s and the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway two Sharp Stewart 0-6-0s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

Hi all

Quite a lot of British built locos still survived in Thailand last time I was there

The Hunslet metre gauge 0-6-0DH shunters were all out of service and laid up

Four of them are in Bangkok

see below

Metre gauge Hunslet 0-6-0DH no. 27 at Makkasan Works, Bangkok, Thailand.jpg

Thai Railways Hunslet 0-6-0DH no 23 Makkasan Works, Bangkoked.jpg

Hunslet Metre Gauge 0-6-0DH at Makkasan works, Bangkok May 2007 ed.jpg

Thai Railways Hunslet 0-6-0DH no. 24 Chatuchak Railway Museum. Bangkok ed.jpg

Bit surprised to see a Citroën BX too... sure you didn't take the pictures in Leeds !😀

• Like 1

Not so much as a British outline but BREL did supply  Taiwan railways with some MK2 based EMU units in the 1970s unfortunately all now withdrawn from service

CF7F44F0-6A5E-406E-8AE0-A01F37C77D58.jpeg

692787AB-B479-425A-AB4F-00A2EFAAE635.jpeg

• Like 7