NESCOT (Epsom and Ewell MRC) 27/28 April

Dave Searle

• RMweb Premium
Epsom and Ewell Model Railway Club's 2013 Exhibition

Saturday 27th April and Sunday 28th April 2013

at the

North East Surrey College of Technology (NESCOT), Reigate Road, Ewell, Surrey KT17 3DS

Full details on our Website

Opening Times

Saturday 27th 10 am - 5:30 pm

Sunday 28th 10 am - 5 pm

Admission

Adults £6.00

Accompanied Children (under 16) Free

Refreshments available

FREE on-site parking for 600 cars

Level access for the disabled

Layouts attending

Avon Quay (4mm/ft, 9mm West Country, narrow gauge)

Ballyconnell Road (3mm/ft, 15.75mm GNR(I), 1955 Irish broad gauge, 7'3" circle)

Brixcombe (4mm/ft, P4 GWR, 1900-1906, 21' x 2'6")

Crimson Road (4mm/ft, 00 BR, Mainline, Transrail to EWS)

Hinskey Yard (2mm/ft, N EWS, 2010, 20' x 2'9")

Hornby Junction (4mm/ft, 00 Children's activity layout, sponsored by Hornby Ltd., 9' x 5')

Loch Tat (2mm/ft, N West Highland, 2010)

Midhurst (4mm/ft, 00 SR, 1930-39)

New Mere (4mm/ft, P4 S&D, 1950)

Nine Mills (2mm/ft, N BR, mid 1960s, 20' x 10')

Oldham King Street Parcels (7mm/ft, 0 BR, 1970s)

Rolvenden (4mm/ft, P4 Kent & East Sussex, 1920s)

Sandford & Banwell (4mm/ft, P4 GWR, North Somerset, 18' x 12')

Waton (2mm/ft, N East Birmingham, 2010)

Wyebridge (7mm/ft, S7 WR, 1950s)

Searles Steam Railway (7¼in & 5in mixed gauge, Live Steam rides)

Traders attending

Ceynix Miniature Trees (Withdrawn due to illness)

Peter Dunk

Priory Books

Roger Carpenter Photos

Club second-hand stand. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Three reasons for me to get along;

- its a very 'local' show

- it's always a show worth visiting

- and being an exhibitor at last years show I've been sent a very welcome free entry ticket - thanks  :good:

G.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just a few days to go, final arrangements are all in place. At the club meeting last night, the Chairman gave his "address to the troops", so we're ready!

It should be a good show with lots of great visiting layouts.

I look forward to seeing any RMWeb members there, I'll be the one with the beard behind Hinksey Yard.

Cheers,

Dave

Just to see if anybody's following this thread, PLEASE TURN THE DIESEL SOUNDS DOWN, Cheers RichardL, (Rolvendon)

Yes have to agree and it really spoiled the viewing of a number of layouts (Wyebridge and Rolvenden in particular) Nothing worse than waiting for a loco that sounds like a diesel to appear from under a bridge when the layout is obviously steam era. Turn it down - it was a shame as it was a good layout with lots of movement (perhaps too much at some times with the sidings packed with so much stock that some movements appeared a little contrived)

Best in show - Midhurst

I think it was just me but found the show not as pleasing as previous years - but cannot put my finger on why. I was in the queue at opening and standing watching real noisy diesels on the Mid-Hants by 12:00, with no purchases to show for it other than the show guide and ticket.

I agree with David.  I think the problem was that there wasn't a stand out layout.  There were three layouts that I avoided, as otherwise I would have had an allergic reaction.  But there were four N gauge layouts sort of covering the period from 1960 to 2010.  Personally the best layouts were Rolvenden and Mere, and I enjoyed Oldham but then I wasn't stuck next to it for two days.  And there were no continental layouts!

Bill

But there were four N gauge layouts sort of covering the period from 1960 to 2010.

Yes, that was a very welcome. A good spread and some great N layouts although I was surprised that the E&E club layout hadn't progressed more since a year or two ago. 

Overall most of the layouts were pretty decent, probably making it more difficult for an obvious 'standout' one. My only criticism would be the poor lighting on some layouts in the 'top' hall. It's about time exhibition layout builders considered lighting as an integral part of the design and build, rather than 'a couple of kitchen spots up a pole' afterthought. But that's just my opinion.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the show very much. For me there was a good balance of layouts, having an interest in numerous scales and eras.

Enjoyed Waton and Hinksey Yard plus the superb Loch Tat and Midhurst but the other layouts were also very good.

I am not used to visiting shows without taking a layout as normally weekends without exhibiting so kept having the urge to go round the back of layouts!

It was very pleasant on Sunday morning as it wasn't too crowded. Would like to have spent longer there but ahd to get back to work on the layout as it was my last 'free day' before our next show.

One of the best shows in the area local to us.

Ian

My only criticism would be the poor lighting on some layouts in the 'top' hall. It's about time exhibition layout builders considered lighting as an integral part of the design and build, rather than 'a couple of kitchen spots up a pole' afterthought. But that's just my opinion.

No you are not alone in that opinion. Some of the layouts lighting was really poor. Though trying to be fair the lighting at this venue is appauling and its biggest drawback. Nothing the organisers can do about it, other than make exhibitors acutely aware of it) and is otherwise an excellent venue + great parking.

Spot lights usually do very little to really illuminate a layout especially the low energy versions. This is even worse when there is no backscene. But I still cannot come to a conclusion as to why the show didn't strike the awe note for me this year. In part it must have been the trade stands as it is very unusual I don't buy something. I've picked up a few good bargains here on the show stand in the past, but this year most seemed to be overpriced. I've come to the conclusion that I was just not in the mood for a show this weekend and nothing trade or layout really grabbed me. It is not going to put me off next year.

Archived