A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

The SR vans were essentially the same design but wartime material shortages meant that the finish changed over time. The following is a simplification but.

They started of using thick planking,

The next step was to use alternate thick planks with two narrow planks.

Finally a move to plywood.

Bulleid also experimented with plastic / glass fibre.

• RMweb Gold

To be fair mate, anyone dealing in second hand stuff is going to want a 100% mark up to cover for problems. I don't think that's out of order. Can't you sell it yourself on EBay? You will realise 95% of what it sells for instead of half.

Edit to say, you will be up against this bit of quality if you advertise on EBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADAPTED-Hornby-OO-LOCOMOTIVE-to-GWR-BLUE-CLASS-4000-LODE-STAR-No-4003-/371604658136?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Very true but Hattons must be making a very tidy living out of some of the prices they sell for.  However I understand from what some have said that they do offer good prices buying in - a clever business model as it means they corner the market.

• RMweb Gold

In other news, I have just acquired a full set of 1957 railway magazines. The December issue reports that the 530am Paddington to Plymouth on 12th September was worked from Didcot by City of Truro piloted by 6015 King Richard III. This was reportedly in connection with CoT running a Plymouth-Penzance railtour on the 15th.

One for a future 1957 photo shoot?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The SR vans were essentially the same design but wartime material shortages meant that the finish changed over time. The following is a simplification but.

They started of using thick planking,

The next step was to use alternate thick planks with two narrow planks.

Finally a move to plywood.

Bulleid also experimented with plastic / glass fibre.

Bachmann do this Southern van which is 2+2 planked in early bauxite.Shall I add it to my shopping list.

post-126-0-97977200-1461780843.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob

Can't you sell it yourself on EBay? You will realise 95% of what it sells for instead of half.

Actually, selling on eBay, once you account for eBay and PayPal fees, you end up with less than 86% of what anything sells for.

• RMweb Gold

So here is some eye candy but for research purposes only and not for further reproduction. Answers on a postcard for the diagram numbers of the three coaches. Bonus point for the name of the brewery that supplied the Railway Hotel, where I supped on numerous occasions in the 1980s

post-12721-0-53292300-1461783079_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

So here is some eye candy but for research purposes only and not for further reproduction. Answers on a postcard for the diagram numbers of the three coaches. Bonus point for the name of the brewery that supplied the Railway Hotel, where I supped on numerous occasions in the 1980s

attachicon.gifimg002.jpg

Morland brewery.

post-126-0-13761600-1461783585_thumb.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sir Vanfit was the next in line to Sir Vanman (known as whitey the Knighty to his fellow Knights) and the latter invented the name Transit for a van that moved around tables. That was on Wikopeedium.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022

The late lamented Morlands Brewery of Abingdon - and look at that pub sign!

I remember having several of their beers when I lived in Oxfordshire, it seemed to affect my knees first ! :)

Many a stumble home was to follow :))

Great photo Rob........but what is that sports car..?

Rob

Don't know - front end looks like a Sprite but the back looks too long. 

I can help with the vehicle on the left - a Bedford Utilabrake (12 seater).  I learned to drive and took my test in my Dad's one.  Had to reverse around a corner on the driver's side and got away with opening the sliding door and pushing it back so I could see the curb all the way round! 

It had a front bench seat and curtains all round - very useful when taking a young lady for a drive.....

attachicon.gifimg002.jpg

3440, E159 brake compo, C67 third, D95 van third (left hand van). Edited by Nick Gough

• RMweb Gold

Don't know - front end looks like a Sprite but the back looks too long. 

I can help with the vehicle on the left - a Bedford Utilabrake (12 seater).  I learned to drive and took my test in my Dad's one.  Had to reverse around a corner on the driver's side and got away with opening the sliding door and pushing it back so I could see the curb all the way round! 

It had a front bench seat and curtains all round - very useful when taking a young lady for a drive.....

I reckon it's a rebodied Sprite.  One of the racing body conversions (not a factory one tho') was very similar to that one but without the rear wheels faired over_

• RMweb Premium

and an alliance with Hertz Van-Rental

He was a Zepplin Pilot wasn't he? RentaZepp I think it was that he started after the First conflict?

(Sorry Rob but there is some serious history being discussed here and I think the beer has taken effect.....apologies but abnormal serrrivce willl ble reumed asssoooo...####)

####

Bachmann do this Southern van which is 2+2 planked in early bauxite.Shall I add it to my shopping list.

attachicon.gif38-386-LN_3091000_Qty1_1.jpeg

attachicon.gif38-082C_1047113_Qty1_3.jpeg

This is one of the type that was built unfitted, with Morton brakes, then fitted in BR days. The ones that the SR built as fitted had a somewhat more complicated brak rigging- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srvan/h328d44be#h328d44be shows it off nicely. ABS used to do a cast version of this brake-gear- I used it on a SR Banana Van. The four-shoe fitted version should really have a tie-bar between the axleguards.