A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Nice to see some proper motive power on that line! 

I didn't realise they had a pair of manors! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Apparently they have that much work in the engineering shop they’ve subcontracted out the overhaul of 5239 Goliath.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Apparently they have that much work in the engineering shop they’ve subcontracted out the overhaul of 5239 Goliath.

Well that is good news! Keeps that side of the business going. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Can they make more from their external work than it will cost them to outsource 5239's overhaul? If they can, then why wouldn't their existing customers have saved money and gone to where 5239 is going? I can't quite work it out either way.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose if the engineering shop is run as a separate business then Goliath would be on a wait list, and if operationally they needed her overhauled, they might need to go elsewhere to get it when they need it.

It's the old conundrum of quality, cost and time. If you're lucky you get 2 out of 3 :)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, colin penfold said:

I suppose if the engineering shop is run as a separate business then Goliath would be on a wait list, and if operationally they needed her overhauled, they might need to go elsewhere to get it when they need it.

It's the old conundrum of quality, cost and time. If you're lucky you get 2 out of 3 :)

That's a fair point Colin. I had assumed that the works was an integral part of the railway itself.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Those Manor shots are certainly more attractive than this clanking ugly brute that caught me by surprise early last month whilst walking the Prom at Goodrington Sands. It would seem to have escaped from the Churnet Valley again.DSCN2030.JPG.f8aae324cb1dec286aa83e3740bb8867.JPG

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4