A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

Option 1 but then add a short harbour branch from Batson to the point to accommodate the navy boys

That was a very good idea. I'm amazed how quickly the Army Engineers have reported back with an Option 1b with the extra harbour branch.

SalcombeHarbour2.PNG.2c4675854669af5f2efae048f2fea4af.PNG

As a bonus, the creek bridges at Gerston Farm and Blanksmill Bridge would be shorter. Then we'll need a short tunnel under Ilton Castle. But the sappers say they can blow a hole through there in no time at all.

They'll have to blow up a few farm cottages in Batson as well. It sounds like their sappers are are very keen to try out that new gunpowder (or whatever it is). Well, there is a war on. That will make smooth out the line into the extra harbour branch, through Snapes Manor and down to the new RN quayside.

All the spoil from the Ilton Castle Tunnel can be used to fill-in the creek just north of the church, and make level ground for Salcombe Station.

How does that sound?

Oh, by the way, the Army Engineers are asking what kind of bridges we want to use across the creeks. Any suggestions?

• Like 5

If you use the cruising catamaran moored in the Farm creek on google maps as a reference, I would say the bridge would need to be about 160 ft .  
We must have someone on here who can advise? I personally would replicate Petherick Creek Bridge, but we try to avoid the withered arm on here.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

And after that, the cider flows! Arrr me beauty!

New Potato flows, Cauli flows, Daffadodil flows, all sorts of flows except ice.

Oh, in case anyone cares and thinks I am actually worse than usual, you I am back on the meds and I mean the 'serious' ones that are meant to help in these days of fish and flows.

Ar$£ Bandit

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

If it wasn't the Indians or Italians, it must have been the US Marine Corps?

More likely some gun totin git from gunsville with more money than the Duke of Westminster playing with his latest toy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

That was a very good idea. I'm amazed how quickly the Army Engineers have reported back with an Option 1b with the extra harbour branch.

As a bonus, the creek bridges at Gerston Farm and Blanksmill Bridge would be shorter. Then we'll need a short tunnel under Ilton Castle. But the sappers say they can blow a hole through there in no time at all.

They'll have to blow up a few farm cottages in Batson as well. It sounds like their sappers are are very keen to try out that new gunpowder (or whatever it is). Well, there is a war on. That will make smooth out the line into the extra harbour branch, through Snapes Manor and down to the new RN quayside.

All the spoil from the Ilton Castle Tunnel can be used to fill-in the creek just north of the church, and make level ground for Salcombe Station.

How does that sound?

Oh, by the way, the Army Engineers are asking what kind of bridges we want to use across the creeks. Any suggestions?

Geoff.

P

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 46444 said:

Very nice too Robin. 

On the subject of Cambrian wagons they do a LNER/SR wartime 7 plank wagon which I believe were delivered unpainted. 

Could offer some further variety in the wagon fleet. 

Cheers, 

Mark

Have you got the kit number please Mark.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How does that sound?

Hi Keith

For a starters check this out http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/bridges.23821/

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

As it's being built by the army, I would think that it would be some form of Bailey bridge, it would probably need some form of strengthening to carry a railway.

That would be a Bill Baily Bridge then Snoops!

P

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

I know an empty van looks the same as a full one, but in the late 50s the BR Insulfish was not all conquering,  soyou need to get the right type on the right train at particular times of day. 

Following my example of Swindon, a morning west bound fish van train should be LNER vans (full) from the east coast, but an afternoon/evening west bound train should be S6s etc (empty) on their way back to Whitland.

That's interesting Paul. I had interpreted comments in Russell and elsewhere as saying that the S6/8/9s were all gone by the early 50s at the latest.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

If you use the cruising catamaran moored in the Farm creek on google maps as a reference, I would say the bridge would need to be about 160 ft .  
We must have someone on here who can advise? I personally would replicate Petherick Creek Bridge, but we try to avoid the withered arm on here.

Rich

That's very good info, thanks!

The engineers have already been grumbling about the length of the spans, and the time it will take (never mind the cost). So we're now onto Option 1c, with the line nudged "left hand down a bit", so it minimises the creek crossing lengths. I'll report back with the latest Sit.Rep. as soon as we've got the new plans.

Fortunately, someone has already done a photo reconnaisance of Petherick Creek Bridge.

tunately,

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I say chaps, have those RAF fly-boys turned up yet? We're still waiting for a briefing on that new RAF Airfield on Bolt Head. Do we need a branchline to the airfield? Are they waiting for a connection in Brent? Or perhaps they forgot to bring a Navigation Officer and they've got lost?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

No more train shows...

Met this lass on sitting on my settee...

Says she's my wife.

She seems nice.

Don't leave us in suspenders, what happened next ? :mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They are from a paper soldier wargames site I use to contribute to.

I once built an MGB when I was a prospective Wedgehead.  But a BB or HGB was too big a task for a gang of spotty 18 year olds.

Then we got given lots of diggers and bull dozers in a big sandpit at Chatham and told to have fun.  That bit was great. Didn't join them despite that fun.

Then we went to see the REEMs in Hampshire - they gave us the day off and some beer and we all watched Live Aid.......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's interesting Paul. I had interpreted comments in Russell and elsewhere as saying that the S6/8/9s were all gone by the early 50s at the latest.

Evening All,

My basis for the comment was two pictures in David Larkin's "BR General Parcels Rolling Stock" published by Bradford Barton in 1978.

The upper picture on page 16 show a short type GWR Fish van at Swindon in the early 60s after withdrawal. The caption talks about the fact that the GWR only had two types of Fish van designed in 1919 between Grouping and Nationalisation which replaced earlier wagons.

The Lower picture on the same page shows a long type GWR Bloater . The picture is at Theale in 1969 when in Engineers service, but the caption states "The GWR fish traffic came from ports in West Wales and the West Country and both types of van were the mainstay of this traffic until the late 1960s , when they were replaced by the BR "insulfish" vans.

Incidentally there is a picture on page 15 of the "INSIXFISH" van!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2