A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

You're probably right with them Paul and it's me who has them wrong.;)

Robin,

If I'd a track to put them on I'd let you get your own back by looking at my train of Shell tankers.

While I'd somehow remembered what Mr. Tourret had to say about Mobil, I will have to get my copy out to sort these Shell tanks out!

Keep modelling and photographing !

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2020 at 11:27, Clive Mortimore said:

Later today I will un-earth my other tank wagon books and see what they say. My library is upside down at the moment due to me decorating what will become my workshop (pillar drill and lathe already acquired)  and resource repository. 

Further investigation regarding the Mobil tank wagon liveries has drawn a blank. Coppin's Oil on the Rails mentions Mobil in the text but no photos and the two Cheona books on tank wagons have no Mobil photos.

All other photos with Mobil tank wagons in them are all post nationalisation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

PI am joining Ksenia Buvina’s fan club. As a backing vocalist in Leonid and Friends’ band * she is brilliant, but can sing fluently in Chinese and English, is a trained pianist and has a degree in international economics. Apart from that she is rather lovely!  Could she replace Jennifer Agutter in my dreams?

* This band is Russian and Ukrainian and started as a tribute band to the jazz rock band Chicago. They sound better than the original versions from the 70’s

They have made a big impact on YouTube and are well worth watching.  Off topic?  Call it frivolity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5XmUnYW5Ks&autoplay=1

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Added context
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

PI am joining Ksenia Buvina’s fan club. As a backing vocalist in Leonid and Friends’ band * she is brilliant, but can sing fluently in Chinese and English, is a trained pianist and has a degree in international economics. Apart from that she is rather lovely!  Could she replace Jennifer Agutter in my dreams?

* This band is Russian and Ukrainian and started as a tribute band to the jazz rock band Chicago. They sound better than the original versions from the 70’s

They have made a big impact on YouTube and are well worth watching.  Off topic?  Call it frivolity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5XmUnYW5Ks&autoplay=1

But can she cook, sew and iron?

• Funny 3

Meanwhile possibly at the other end of the musical spectrum a lament for the millions of bog rolls currently kidnapped and incarcerated in various dark places. I've pasted the lyrics as Mr. McPhee's vocals probably wouldn't get many "turns" during the blind auditions on The Voice and there is a brief reference to trains.....

The album title is "Who will save the World".........good question...

499154745_Screenshot(6580).png.be510b8c2110c6105bf07bf7dc7976c2.png

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Full size ANTB report:

- lovely sunny day here

- CTMK and I combined our Permitted Daily Exercise Perambulation with an Essential Shopping Trip on foot

- Non-essential emporia (as per the Governmental list) are closed

- Food shops, the pharmacy and Wakeleys (DIY and hardware) are open

- Coop and The Village Store (former post office and former newsagent and former pub) have social distancing measures in place. The latter has prevented entry and placed tables at the door. One person at a time goes up to the table and asks the young lady to bring what they required and you then make a contactless card payment. All very satisfactory.

- Coop has different social distancing measures - 10 shoppers maximum permitted in the store, with queue set up (2 metre intervals) outside the door, with a member of staff on doorman duties inside keeping count. 2 metre lines on floor for queue to checkouts, but that didn't prevent me having to remind a female shopper behind me to respect the 2 metre rule. 'Oh, I thought you'd finished', she opined. 'Well, I have got my shopping but I haven't paid yet', said I, 'shall I make off now without paying and earn myself a ride in a socially-distanced police car?'

- Coop seemed reasonably well stocked, I got everything I was looking for, they (and the big Tesco at Lee Mill a few miles away) have clearly been getting deliveries

- Foggs Deli up the road was open but empty, so I went in and purchased a slice of chicken and ham pie, the same that is normally served up at the Taunton Members Days. A lady customer turned up after me and politely waited outside for me to finish my purchase

- Overall, far fewer people around. One set of parents had clearly allowed their male child to go off on his own on his bicycle. My attempt at a Paddington Stare sadly didn't seem to get through.

End of report.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I am currently on 14 days self isolation but at present my employer shows no sign of accepting the inevitable and closing down. As such I will be expected to make public transport journeys and/or share a hire car with 2 or 3 strangers for hours on end. I'm not happy but as long as Govt says "dont go to work unless it's impossible to work from home" I'm in the same boat as you Robin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

On 19/03/2020 at 20:57, KeithMacdonald said:

Good grief, it was an innocent question. We can't all afford a "very expensive library of reference books" can we?

Perhaps John Isherwood is having a bad day? Or perhaps the medication is wearing off?

Spent too long in self-isolation, perhaps? :jester:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, bgman said:

I've just woken up, I got so drunk last night that I can't remember coming home from my kitchen ! :crazy_mini:

Disgraceful! :lol: 

The getting up at this time of the day that is! :P ;)

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Agree 4

I can't work out why, when theoretically we have less to do, we are getting up earlier, and are still busy all day!

Really glad I am retired because the situation reported by Robin and Colin is a real worry!

Guys, I ,and hopefully all the other supposed has beens propping up RM Web, are thinking of you and also of our contacts who are needing to self isolate.

Superficially, where we are things seem good as in our partly rural local authority we have 22 cases out of a population of some 214 thousand. So in the town that we are on the edge of with a population of around 45,000 , we probably have 5 cases.

However, right now I am very glad we are on the opposite side of town to the railway station where I fear there are a load of commuters pouring onto and off of the 45 minute journey into London and goodness knows what contacts they get there, especially if they also need to use the London tubes or buses!

Take care, wash your hands and keep smiling

Best regards

Paul:yes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Report.

CTMK and I went for another Officially Authorised Perambulation. We didn't go into the village this time, but walked down the lane that leads to the A38 overbridge (and eventually to Avonwick).

This is the noticeably quieter A38 just to the south of the real ANTB:

It's a lovely sunny day here. If you remove the aspects of modern life, this might make a possible subject for a backscene, I suppose:

20200325_150415.jpg.1c215bf298138a922203cc1aec9b7b5b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As an aside to yesterday's post about our company still working as normal, our delivery driver got verbally abused for doing his job today by some bystanders at the traffic lights. This virus is bringing out the worst in some people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Report.

CTMK and I went for another Officially Authorised Perambulation. We didn't go into the village this time, but walked down the lane that leads to the A38 overbridge (and eventually to Avonwick).

This is the noticeably quieter A38 just to the south of the real ANTB:

It's a lovely sunny day here. If you remove the aspects of modern life, this might make a possible subject for a backscene, I suppose:

20200325_150415.jpg.1c215bf298138a922203cc1aec9b7b5b.jpg

How nice to view the scenic end of the road from hell. Viewed from this end it  isn’t quite as idyllic .Stay safe an enjoy your walks in Glorious Devon.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

As an aside to yesterday's post about our company still working as normal, our delivery driver got verbally abused for doing his job today by some bystanders at the traffic lights. This virus is bringing out the worst in some people.

Some, yes Rob. But I think they are increasingly becoming the minority.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks for your support

You're more than welcome, please wash it thoroughly though before its worn !

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bgman said:

You're more than welcome, please wash it thoroughly though before its worn !

For some reason I thought of you on reading that off licences are now classed as essential shops.:D

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

5 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Due to all the pasty smuggling at Brent, the Navy pulled one of their Flower Class Corvettes out of mothballs..

buttercup_60.jpg.92b0f3a97ad2c0493d4297517ec708aa.jpg

My late Father served on one of those -"Burnett"

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 4