A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

Of course not, Narnia doesn't have a navy

It does....not sure which book but I remember seeing on the telly they had a sea battle.

Tell the truth I have never read past the wardrobe book and then I was forced to at school. Just Mrs M and child B liked the books and watched the TV series several times on video so I could help but see it when passing through the living room to the  then manshed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

..what ever next someone will write a book a bout a talking locomotive.

Where have you been for the past 60 years?  You must have led a very sheltered childhood.

Percy (No.6)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Where have you been for the past 60 years?  You must have led a very sheltered childhood.

Percy (No.6)

Very sheltered, bus shelters, beach shelters, air raid shelters....even a cardboard box.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Very sheltered, bus shelters, beach shelters, air raid shelters....even a cardboard box.

You were lucky!

(Yes, I know, but somebody had to and it might as well be me).

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin et all.

As some of you were kind enough to react sympathetically to my situation it now seems that my employer has realised that we are non-essential and I won't be forced out onto public transport and delivering cars against my better judgement. We will now receive the Government compensation payments. I say "it seems" because there has been absolutely no official communication from them. Pretty poor really and pretty clear what they think of their front line staff. I hope your situation gets sorted soon Robin.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It does....not sure which book but I remember seeing on the telly they had a sea battle.

Tell the truth I have never read past the wardrobe book and then I was forced to at school. Just Mrs M and child B liked the books and watched the TV series several times on video so I could help but see it when passing through the living room to the  then manshed.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is set at sea.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Mine too. Pretty grim going across a rough Atlantic in one of those. Although at least if it was rough the U-boats could not operate.

As part of home schooling, my son is looking at the Battle of the Atlantic.  As such, we started watching the Cruel Sea.  It looked a tough war on the North Atlantic.  Still a good film.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

As part of home schooling, my son is looking at the Battle of the Atlantic.  As such, we started watching the Cruel Sea.  It looked a tough war on the North Atlantic.  Still a good film.

Probably the best wartime naval film, well, it's my favourite.

'Snorkers! Good Oh!'

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Probably the best wartime naval film, well, it's my favourite.

'Snorkers! Good Oh!'

I had not seen it since I was at school (more than 50 years). I had forgotten just how good it is.

Back then I did not realise that a good part of the film had been made with a Corvette identical to that my father served on.

It was not all drudgery on the North Atlantic. Some convoys were down the coast of West Africa which Dad had enjoyed greatly.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I had not seen it since I was at school (more than 50 years). I had forgotten just how good it is.

Back then I did not realise that a good part of the film had been made with a Corvette identical to that my father served on.

It was not all drudgery on the North Atlantic. Some convoys were down the coast of West Africa which Dad had enjoyed greatly.

I googled the Cruel Sea when it was on - they used HMS Coreopsis (K32)  to portray Compass Rose.

• Informative/Useful 4

17 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I'm wondering, does the RN regularly store such vessels in wardrobes? 

They gave the practice up because although it hid them well, it was a devil of a job getting them vertical, and then back to the horizontal afterwards!:help:

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Clearwater said:

You were lucky, I got recorder practice!  In that little bit of Arabia that is Gods Wonderful Railway, life is probably very similar to Blighty, except with more toilet roll as Andrex is typically £1.50 / roll.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, colin penfold said:

We will now receive the Government compensation payments. I say "it seems" because there has been absolutely no official communication from them. Pretty poor really and pretty clear what they think of their front line staff. 

Keep us posted with this Colin as the theory of 80% wages for some sounds great but is it actually being implemented yet.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Clearwater said:

From a novel by Nicholas Montserrat.Memorable for sterling Brit upper lip performances from post war great actors led by Jack Hawkins and Donald Sinden.To see it from the other side,see if you can source a copy of the series “Das Boot” a German TV production of life inside a U boat during the war.Also very fine with stark,grim reality.

• Agree 5

53 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

From a novel by Nicholas Montserrat.Memorable for sterling Brit upper lip performances from post war great actors led by Jack Hawkins and Donald Sinden.To see it from the other side,see if you can source a copy of the series “Das Boot” a German TV production of life inside a U boat during the war.Also very fine with stark,grim reality.

Thanks Ian - that’s a good idea.  I do own Das Boot, or at least the film version.  I’ll need to check if it’s suitable for an 8 year old!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Keep us posted with this Colin as the theory of 80% wages for some sounds great but is it actually being implemented yet.

Well Thief-throw asked their staff (including me) to take a 10% pay cut from April for 9 months during this crisis (apart from the high ups of course - only 3% for them).

Unfortunately we can't social distance from each other AND aren't allowed to wear face masks :/ 

So in theory Heathrow will only be paying 10% of our wages (while the government pays the rest) and potentially killing us in the process.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Thanks Ian - that’s a good idea.  I do own Das Boot, or at least the film version.  I’ll need to check if it’s suitable for an 8 year old!

Das Boot is great but maybe a bit harrowing for an 8 year old.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1