A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

49 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Report today)

CTMK and I went for another short local walk and I took the following footage from the bridge that carries the Avonwick lane over the A38 'Devon Expressway', which was even quieter than the previous time:

We then returned to Kernow Towers and I re-started the 74XX running in process.

I will now be making the tea.

End of report.

No sign of Forrest Gump either !

• Friendly/supportive 2

21 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I think I’m right in saying that Tintagal Castle is the closest to both of them in the GWR releases. Not sure if there has also been a BR release in that number range.   

5018 has the 5013 onwards later inside cylinder cover. It was also built with a fire iron tunnel. The Hornby Tintagel has the earlier 'Vauxhall' front and no fire iron tunnel

https://picclick.co.uk/Photo-Gwr-Castle-No-5018-St-Mawes-362606631228.html

The most recent Hornby release appropriate for 5018 that I am aware of is the 5076 ‘Drysllwyn Castle, though they are few and far between now as are the Tintagels (Hattons wants £110.00 for a second hand Tintagel).

5001 ran with the 8 wheel Collett tender for a time, in the 1930's.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsa3188.htm

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2020 at 20:15, gwrrob said:

What would be the best donor to model 5018 or 5001 then ?

It is a balancing act between buying a recent model  and a model of the correct batch. 

for example you will get a really detailed DCC example of a Castle with nice handrails and sprung buffers etc but from a later build batch.  Cylinder covers may be wrong etc.

Or you get a model of a Caerphilly Castle, which will technically be close to 01 and 18   but the standard of the model is very "70s/80s" and definitely not DCC.

I have a black St Mawes, based on a Dapol model.  There are one or two very minor in-inaccuracies which I am prepared to live with.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Social distancing 1947 style and we see one of them here. Minnie is currently under Dr Creasy with acute angina.:D

IMG_7026_(2).JPG.d8139e9da7eeaa017e4df000013a44b6.JPG

I know that joke but it's definitely not suitable for RMweb...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

5018 has the 5013 onwards later inside cylinder cover. It was also built with a fire iron tunnel. The Hornby Tintagel has the earlier 'Vauxhall' front and no fire iron tunnel

https://picclick.co.uk/Photo-Gwr-Castle-No-5018-St-Mawes-362606631228.html

The most recent Hornby release appropriate for 5018 that I am aware of is the 5076 ‘Drysllwyn Castle, though they are few and far between now as are the Tintagels (Hattons wants £110.00 for a second hand Tintagel).

5001 ran with the 8 wheel Collett tender for a time, in the 1930's.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsa3188.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Mike, does that mean that the Hornby Tintagel Castle would be suitable for 4099 Kilgerran Castle?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I know that joke but it's definitely not suitable for RMweb...

Not to be confused with the story about the pretty young woman turning up for church on Sunday morning - naked. The vicar says "I'm sorry, my daughter, but you may not enter undressed like that."

And she responds "But I have a Divine Right!"

So he says "Your left's pretty good, too, but you're still not coming in!"

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45568 said:

Happy Easter to all!

Apologies if this has been seen before, but there are some good shots of the GW around the time of Brent

Cheers from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

Interesting watch, thanks for adding.

Continuity was no better then than Portillo is now: Paddington departures controlled by Waterloo!

I was hoping for internal views of Paddington Departure :-)

Paul.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 45568 said:

Happy Easter to all!

Apologies if this has been seen before, but there are some good shots of the GW around the time of Brent.

Peter C.

Some interesting bits in there, at least one formation in which you can make out every coach.  (although I can’t read the destination boards)

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Mike, does that mean that the Hornby Tintagel Castle would be suitable for 4099 Kilgerran Castle?

Thanks.

I was reading somewhere else, facebook I think, that some of the early series Castles had their inside cylinder covers replaced in the ‘50s so you might have to be a bit careful though I’ll defer to the experts on here as to when which locos got so treated!  Personally, I think the scalloped covers look much more elegant.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering how to correct the width of the strap between the slide bars on these early Hornby releases - they look about twice as wide as they ought to be. Has anybody tried?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

I was reading somewhere else, facebook I think, that some of the early series Castles had their inside cylinder covers replaced in the ‘50s so you might have to be a bit careful though I’ll defer to the experts on here as to when which locos got so treated!  Personally, I think the scalloped covers look much more elegant.

Photos suggest that 4099 still had the "scalloped" type after its overhaul in 1957 but received the "square" type later, possibly at its 1961 overhaul (by which time it had a Hawksworth tender).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A lot of talk on here recently of 5011 so I thought I'd get mine out even though the livery is incorrect for '47. This was my first Hornby Castle purchase, I think it was released in 2011, maybe earlier. Here she is on a westbound express.

42327250_DSCN6390(2).JPG.05096684fa3a9bc4614ef9a6077f76bc.JPG348734990_DSCN6391(2).JPG.eaafaa90c08ced3aea38fdcc70b20ea7.JPG2099562658_DSCN6392(2).JPG.5db57d04f567f84db326b10b317300e2.JPG1257738475_DSCN6393(2).JPG.19bb12340c9dddda7e5a9ba0fdb7942d.JPG

Great looking engine Rob. I can remember sitting at North Road on a typical, warm summer's afternoon and admiring the wonderful shape of these; Laira tended to keep their examples in top condition (as you know), at least until 1961. Two that stick in my mind waiting to depart were IKB and The Gloucestershire Regiment. The latter wasn't a Laira engine though, but Gloucester's and they looked after theirs then too.

Last loco I remember seeing at Laira Steam Shed, must have been '64, was a filthy and neglected Castle 4088; still had name and number plates too but no idea where it was shedded then. Probably had filled in for a failed Diseasel.

Phil

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Has there ever been a more beautiful loco built than a Castle

Almost any kind of pannier tank, apart from the 1366 and the 15XX type.

I don't really like cylinders on pannier tanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Has there ever been a more beautiful loco built than a Castle....

Yes !

A Dean Single most resplendent in Green and Indian Red ...... Sublime locomotives

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3