A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Speaking of brown stock, what were the rules on end colour?  Black or brown? I always thought black but after spending some time looking at photos I’m now not so sure...

Looking at the end of the fruit D in Russell appendix , brown.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Are you saying I'm under the influence?

Definitely,

But the question is influence of what?

Joking aside, are you all enjoying the cleaner air and the increased birdsong with the reduced traffic?

Now would be an excellent time to cancel all most off the commuter trains and get the freight back on the rails, then we can cancel HS2 and convert all the motorways to railways?

Well, its sound s good, but what am I under the influence of??

Take care, stay safe and keep modelling (and posting!)

Best regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Looking at the end of the fruit D in Russell appendix , brown.

GWR standards as confusing as ever, coaches and horse boxes - black ends, siphons and other brown stock - brown ends.

B754CB40-6F38-4979-8EB0-DD31C1B59A7D.jpeg.fdade3b37f0129b0d376eacecb350375.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just realised that I haven't run my Collett suburban's this year, so any requests for what I put on the front of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Large prairie

Or two even?

I know that one Saturday train Reading to Paddington regularly had this combination, and I have seen pics of them smokebox to smokebox and smokebox to coal bunker!

Please?

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos as always Robin. I particularly like the 4th one with the tree, it gives a real sense of realism.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

If @gwrrob doesn’t mind this, here is one of my first two locos that I’ve ever renumbered. The other being a S100 from Sunshine British Railways to Sunshine Southern livery. Transfers were from Precision Labels. 

This one being a Great Western 48xx from DJ models renumbered/reliveried into GWR 1412. Plates from Narrow Planet and transfers from Fox. This model sure looks superb now, I’m glad I had the courage to go about this, can’t wait to do more now

52EA0A19-EC66-40C4-87A7-C1C78415E6AB.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2020 at 17:52, BenL said:

Those will be the 8Fs built at Swindon during the war - something that would be a nice addition to ANTB :)

Oops.;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice mixed  livery rake with the Castle.

An 8F doesn't have to be a Swindon built one.  Most of the 8Fs in GW service were built elsewhere.

A copy of Lyon's shed book will tell you which 8Fs were where in our timescale, and then from the numbers you can work out whether and RTR 8F will do or whether you need to modify to make it a Swindon built version.

If you don't have the Lyons shed book, drop me a PM and I will let you know what was where in Devon.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ribird said:

If @gwrrob doesn’t mind this, here is one of my first two locos that I’ve ever renumbered. The other being a S100 from Sunshine British Railways to Sunshine Southern livery. Transfers were from Precision Labels. 

This one being a Great Western 48xx from DJ models renumbered/reliveried into GWR 1412. Plates from Narrow Planet and transfers from Fox. This model sure looks superb now, I’m glad I had the courage to go about this, can’t wait to do more now

Lovely. A journey of a thousand miles etc; (but not at the moment unless it is for essential work only, or you live 'near' Hereford or Poole and have been 'sent').

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Ribird said:

Although I do like this loco maybe you should contemplate going up a gauge ?

Ironically I've just started to erect the frames for a 7mm Mitchell version of a 512 Class on my workbench....

fullsizeoutput_21eb.jpeg.e13501104240566c833bd2ee669e6530.jpeg

G

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

An 8F doesn't have to be a Swindon built one.  Most of the 8Fs in GW service were built elsewhere.

Oh yes it does and I won't confirm or deny that I've already chosen the number.;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lovely. A journey of a thousand miles etc; (but not at the moment unless it is for essential work only, or you live 'near' Hereford or Poole and have been 'sent').

Phil

Thank you! And quite literally a journey of thousand miles, a hop skip and a jump across the pond

1 hour ago, bgman said:

Although I do like this loco maybe you should contemplate going up a gauge ?

Ironically I've just started to erect the frames for a 7mm Mitchell version of a 512 Class on my workbench....

I'll stick with 4mm atm! I do have a 58xx as a spare part loco when the time comes this one or another one gives out. Don't quite have the disposable income to go up a gauge, but those new Dapol 14xx's look mighty fine. And a Terrier wouldn't hurt! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1