A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Everyone likes a saddle tank so here's a short video of  Kernow's 1363 on a top secret movement on the branch. Some of my favourite rolling stock on shew.;)

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

The A38 near South Brent was a fair bit busier today, as compared with our previous visit:

End of report.

And not one of them waved or peeped their horns !

I went for a short ride yesterday and watched a stream of vehicles close to Ikea in Exeter, you'd have thought it was a normal Saturday ! No one waved to me either !!! 

Report ends.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

on a top secret movement on the branch

How can it be Top Secret now , we've all seen it !:o

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

From my experience the crane I required is no longer available.

I bought some from Holt just before ĺockdown. He ran the mould specially for my order, I believe. I had a long conversation with him following which he emailed the list of available kits. 

I'll post them on here when I next fire up the laptop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes CK. The attitude has suddenly become fu## this, I'm off to do what I want as 'you know who' has said it's OK to go anywhere and then exercise. Complete #### of a situation and the Police are overwhelmed.

Model Railways are much more socially acceptable and sensible and kind to all people everywhere, unless it is P4.:diablo_mini:

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the Spotlight news and the Devon and Cornwall beaches are chock o block with emetts and grockles. This could end in a tragedy as there are no lifeguards on any of the beaches and will be endangering the lives of the RNLI volunteers when they get called out to clear up the mess. Selfishness of the highest degree.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Just seen the Spotlight news and the Devon and Cornwall beaches are chock o block with emetts and grockles. This could end in a tragedy as there are no lifeguards on any of the beaches and will be endangering the lives of the RNLI volunteers when they get called out to clear up the mess. Selfishness of the highest degree.

I caught the tail end of some interviews done with some of the selfish g*ts on BBC Spotlight earlier. One of them said they had come from Plymouth, a place well known for having no access to the sea.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I caught the tail end of some interviews done with some of the selfish g*ts on BBC Spotlight earlier. One of them said they had come from Plymouth, a place well known for having no access to the sea.

Probably couldn't find the Hoe or Devils Point.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Apart from that Snooper chappie and maybe Penholder, anyone else from Plymuff is suspect for being weird. Several have even moved away, but still remain weird.

A. Janner.

I came from Plymouth (or 83D as I like to call it) years ago but I'm not weird; as I said to myself in front of the mirror this morning!:fie:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I completely  sympathise.  I have been frankly appalled by the attitude  of so called holiday areas to second home owners.  If I was lucky enough to own two homes I would feel totally justified  in choosing which one to be locked down in. I wouldn't  expect  to travel willy nilly  between  the two. Ultimately  people have probably  got a second home as somewhere to go and relax so why wouldn't  you want to locked down there rather than in a "main home" that's probably somewhere convenient  for work rather than peaceful.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hey guys,

Thanks for keeping me entertained while at work, and thanks Robin for the photos.

I thought this would be the perfect place to ask due to the large amount of GWR nerds, expertise!

I'm looking at building up a rake of GWR coaches from the new Hornby Collett stock, (or even some older Bachmann stuff, i'm happy to do my own detailing work if there's anything urgent that needs addressing!) i'm just not sure what I need. Would there have been a mix of the non corridor/corridor coaches? How does the left/right brake/composite system work? what does a 'standard' rake look like, and how many coaches?

I'd like to do some coach side conversions/rtr/kitbash stuff at some point in the future, but for now i'll just dip a toe. I'm primarily a Southern guy, so any advice for things that would've ended up there (specifically around 1947) would be great too!

Thanks in advance, and keep up the banter! :derisive:

Edited by Jack P
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Trains would be all compartment or all corridor stock, except where a through coach(es) were concerned, the corridor coach(es) would be attached to the compartment train for the final leg. Trains leaving Paddington normally had the corridor on the same side, hence left and righthand coaches and brakes. The CRE left from platform 1 so the corridor was on the left in the direction of travel.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Apart from that Snooper chappie and maybe Penholder, anyone else from Plymuff is suspect for being weird. Several have even moved away, but still remain weird.

A. Janner.

Oy! I resemble that remark....:crazy_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jack P said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for keeping me entertained while at work, and thanks Robin for the photos.

I thought this would be the perfect place to ask due to the large amount of GWR nerds, expertise!

I'm looking at building up a rake of GWR coaches from the new Hornby Collett stock, (or even some older Bachmann stuff, i'm happy to do my own detailing work if there's anything urgent that needs addressing!) i'm just not sure what I need. Would there have been a mix of the non corridor/corridor coaches? How does the left/right brake/composite system work? what does a 'standard' rake look like, and how many coaches?

I'd like to do some coach side conversions/rtr/kitbash stuff at some point in the future, but for now i'll just dip a toe. I'm primarily a Southern guy, so any advice for things that would've ended up there (specifically around 1947) would be great too!

Thanks in advance, and keep up the banter! :derisive:

Typically great western formations were made up of a variety of diagrams, and very rarely were consistently formed of one design. 

a spring 1947 Cardiff - Portsmouth formation would be:

Tk, CK, Tk,TK, Btk B, Tk, Ck, Ck, Tk, BTK A, Tk, Tk

with the first four coaches terminating at Salisbury 

or

Van, btk b, Tk, ck, ck, Tk, btk a, siphon g

tk third Corridor 

ck composite corridor 
brk brake third corridor where B means brake leading and A trailing 

Using RTR coaches only it’s very difficult to get a decent mix of designs, given Mainline only made a third and a brake composite in their Collett sunshine stock.  While a lowly cross country service like this would have been unlikley to get one of the shiny new Hawksworth coaches (Tk or Btk only).    Though for the moment at least I am using the latter to add variety (and using them prototypically in my Cornish Riviera).  While Centenaries would be too wide for a route off gw metals I expect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

One things for sure, nobody is travelling to the West Midlands areas of natural beauty in numbers to exercise.:rolleyes:

Not true, Rob. I take my dog (for the past month I've only had one) to Chasewater every day, and the last couple of days it's been heaving; although you're probably right, most of them aren't exercising, and by the look of them it might be dangerous for them to do so.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5