A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Looking at those sketches and it seems Mrs Honeyman isn't going to be happy with losing 6ft [24mm] along the length of her property at the boundary.

The Railroad is a comin thru...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Unless they're led astray.

Not so, I'm reliably informed by my Farmer son in law, that sheep are

born with just one instinct. To bring about their own demise. Possibly

has a bearing on his being a dairy farmer.

Mind you his son has just funded his 1st NEW loco from the sale of his

lambs this year.

All the best, stay safe

TONY

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

The Railroad is a comin thru...

The environmental protection groups won’t let me remove the nice trees.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

The environmental protection groups won’t let me remove the nice trees.

What, in this era....

Edited by KNP
  • Agree 2

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 09:17, St Enodoc said:

That's probably true, Rich, but in general it wasn't possible to turn Toads between journeys (and even where it was I suspect it wasn't done as a matter of course).

There is a photo somewhere, (can't instantly recall where, but I will post it when the grey cells come up with the answer!) of a goods yard with several toads in it some one way round , some the other.

Thus there was probably more "wrong way round" working of toads than modelling convention suggests?

It is also worth remembering that the LSWR had a number of single ended brake vans, although admittedly some of them had double side doors so could be used as road vans, Some of them lasted, particularly on the IOW and as departmental stock, well into the 1950s.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2020 at 18:26, gwrrob said:

post-6675-0-98034100-1463313611.jpg.b3ee0093aaf4015a955480a0e98d3696.jpg

For completeness and thanks to Chris, I've found his notes on Set 239 we discussed back in 2014 :o when I first got the Maunsell coaches.

When first completed it was a four coach set with another CK. In the mid '30s the composite was removed and was used on Waterloo- Weymouth, Waterloo- Plymouth services.

In 1945 the set became five coaches with the addition of a CK and TK. Again used on services in the west but by 1947 was being used on Waterloo- Salisbury and Waterloo- Southampton.

Also in '47 the set was increased to six coaches which included a restaurant coach and open third but by '48 it was back to the three coach set of BTK CK BTK.

As can be seen it's a bit of a stretch to have it running through Brent unless it was diverted from the Waterloo- Plymouth service.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Thus there was probably more "wrong way round" working of toads than modelling convention suggests?

Very probably. On average, you would expect around 50%.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Very probably. On average, you would expect around 50%.

This does raise the question, which is the wrong way round?

I don't know where I got it from, but I understood that the GWR didn't go to the

expense of duplicating doors etc, when the guard only needed a good view of

his train. i.e. veranda forwards.

Of couse that implies that somebody at Swindon didn't think the problem through.

So I would understand if you were to say, that can't be right.

TONY

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

This does raise the question, which is the wrong way round?

I don't know where I got it from, but I understood that the GWR didn't go to the

expense of duplicating doors etc, when the guard only needed a good view of

his train. i.e. veranda forwards.

Of couse that implies that somebody at Swindon didn't think the problem through.

So I would understand if you were to say, that can't be right.

TONY

Hadn't heard that one Tony. Let's see if anyone else knows more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

It is also worth remembering that the LSWR had a number of single ended brake vans, although admittedly some of them had double side doors so could be used as road vans, Some of them lasted, particularly on the IOW and as departmental stock, well into the 1950s.

Cheers

Paul

Someone was making a nice resin kit  (OO) of these "road vans" - not sure if they are still in production - I made one up - looks great and went together very easily.

They may have been advertised in the back of the Toddler..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at doing a photo shoot with my cattle vans but I can't remember what the lamp code is and photos shew conflicting codes. I thought it was C , I've also seen H but I'm open to more information from the learned types on here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Looking at doing a photo shoot with my cattle vans but I can't remember what the lamp code is and photos shew conflicting codes. I thought it was C , I've also seen H but I'm open to more information from the learned types on here.

If it's carrying sheep it's probably "U" lamp coded.   Or is that lamb code?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

C or D normally, could be H if it's all unfitted or the train diagrammed as unfitted.

• Informative/Useful 4