A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Looks very Brunelian. 

You won't find that Castle in any Ian Allan ABC.;) Nice on cod and chips though.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, cary hill said:

To get back on topic ....re Devon vehicle registrations CO, DR,DV, FJ, JY, OD, TA, TT and UO are suitable second and third registration letters for Devon, Exeter and Plymouth and seem to accord with some of my Devon General and Western National bus fleet reg.nos.

This site shows what initial reg. letters were used and the years they were first used if you click on the right hand side for the two letter combos above:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm

I'll probably delete the pics when I've thought about it more

Following on from this and using this photo as an example. the Kingsbridge Stationmaster's car, not sure what it is,  Somerset reg YYB 821 was registered June 1957 but I could use EYB ,FYB,GYB or HYB in my period.;) Maybe the car was used at his previous posting.

Ian at Black Label Decals can do a set of 12 different registrations for £6.

1806164138_YYB821.jpg.000f54ae0cb504b944477e1afbb8f3cd.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Following on from this and using this photo as an example. the Kingsbridge Stationmaster's car, not sure what it is,  Somerset reg YYB 821 was registered June 1957 but I could use EYB ,FYB,GYB or HYB in my period.;) Maybe the car was used at his previous posting.

Ian at Black Label Decals can do a set of 12 different registrations for £6.

1806164138_YYB821.jpg.000f54ae0cb504b944477e1afbb8f3cd.jpg

Austin A35 - I think

My late father use to have one back in the lat 50's..

Edited by toboldlygo
text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been reading through the Taunton in the 40s articles in GWRJ (though so far I only have parts 2 and 4).  

there are a couple of interesting workings, 

in the formations section there is a Manor listed as traction for the 7:30Paddington to Plymouth, no photo but it says it’s based on spotting notes and photos.   I think this is the first I’ve seen of a Manor on a Plymouth  service in the 40s

There are also two mentions of freight locos on passenger turns.  
first up 3833 in August 47 on a Nottingham (LMS) to Plymouth, you can only see the first coach (LMS).  Another interesting thing in this photo is that the loco has one white lamp and one red, good to see you can still have red lamps in 47

The second is even more interesting, an unidentified Austerity on the down Riviera.  It’s undated and the number wasn’t recorded (but given it was taken from a bulldog scrapped in September 47 it was clearly before then).  The caption indicates that the loco would be changed at Exeter ( is it so implausible it wouldn’t  have continued to Plymouth).   Would be a good one to see running through Brent once you give in and buy an Austerity...

Most of the rest is Kings and Castles, though there do seem to be a lot more Counties than I expected.   Just a shame some of the photos are a bit small.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

A heads up for a relatively new range from Alan at Modelu comprising of a Western driver, fireman and four lamps [three front, one tail] . Other regions are available too.

610939392_westernlococrewpack.jpg.5d7c607dba534ce71c87eea756ebfe13.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A few more photos for reference shewing the various colours used by WWS.

The first shot shews a 50/50 mix of 4mm Patchy and Dead grass. The second shews the base 2mm Summer that WWS recommend as a starter, I prefer the Autumn but have run out and await more supplies. The third is a comparison with the wild meadow finish. I put random pieces of Woodland Scenics coarse turf down to create the larger tufts you see.

DSCN6774_(2).JPG.ea15b7ff661e724f795a6ae24953ad39.JPG1275745450_DSCN6775(2).JPG.002a12211ab9b1687c75f106e6e5ab92.JPGDSCN6776_(2).JPG.b8cdeb5a467956f04202fe34178e68ee.JPG

Nice curtains...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That grass looks really natural - well worth the effort.

The thing with this is, Robin, I think, that there is no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' answer to the mix of shades and fibre lengths.

Experimentation is key here, in order to find a mix and colour range that you are happy with. It's all very well taking advice from others (myself included perhaps!) but as you are finding out, the only real way to achieve this is to get stuck in and don't be afraid to 'have a go!'.

Unless, of course, you are opting for the purple grass so common on the fourth moon of Enchilada V. That would be beyond the pale.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It certainly helped having the right materials and equipment to do the job and I’m enjoying the experience immensely. The thing is now do I do the whole layout.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I take it no one on this thread has bought the new Hornby large prairie yet then.:rolleyes: I hear the 1930s liveried version is imminent.;)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I take it no one on this thread has bought the new Hornby large prairie yet then.:rolleyes: I hear the 1930s liveried version is imminent.;)

Yes, I had an email from the red team earlier on but unfortunately not on my shopping list... at the moment.

Will your loan machine be arriving in the morning until the proper one gets to you? :)

Edited by Tim Dubya
61XX envy
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1