A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Sounds like you're going through a black period Rob.

As the LMS fans might say -black fives matter.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the 7000 +:o photo took with this camera and shews my Chiver's bolster build running with the other LMS wagons  albeit in bauxite I have. Still in primer I'm yet to decide what grey paint shade to use to finish her.

1932466479_DSCN7000(2).JPG.f46a3cb1cb53a1b03b006aa3aad56087.JPGDSCN7001_(2).JPG.565f9dc8965691bd3b3daa55b709892e.JPG1604612880_DSCN7002(2).JPG.c2d1ebc557dda3857a7803e7574ba6b6.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, CCGWR said:

Looks rather nice Robin, what is the first coach in the train? Looks good.

An old K's kit built example of the K16 running on Shapeway bogies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Further to my photos of Dawlish sea wall last month I see the newly constructed bit is now open although a new railway fence is yet to be installed. Time will tell if it works. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for some atmospheric photography from ANTB over the last couple of days.There’s an accomplished landscape artist ( apart from railway modeller ) behind the lens.Given me  an uplift which I can do with right now. Please keep them coming Robin. Thank you from me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Further to my photos of Dawlish sea wall last month I see the newly constructed bit is now open although a new railway fence is yet to be installed. Time will tell if it works

It will be a whole lot better than what went before.

They've used the same methodology as the repairs done in 2014 a bit further along at Sea Lawn Terrace, namely pre-cast concrete sections as the basis for the new Sea Wall, with a proper wave return incorporated in the design.

If it's like the Sea Lawn Terrace section, the whole thing will be several thousand tonnes of solid concrete, which isn't going to go anywhere for a very long time.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the proposals to push the railway between Parsons Tunnel and Sprey Point further out to sea, the essential methods used for the new construction are, I believe, very sound.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Stood on the beach looking up at those concrete sections, what strikes me is the lack of character of them compared to the originals that had been ravaged by the sea for 200 years. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Stood on the beach looking up at those concrete sections, what strikes me is the lack of character of them compared to the originals that had been ravaged by the sea for 200 years. 

May have a look myself next week.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thank you for some atmospheric photography from ANTB over the last couple of days.There’s an accomplished landscape artist ( apart from railway modeller ) behind the lens.Given me  an uplift which I can do with right now. Please keep them coming Robin. Thank you from me.

Very kind words from the man who remembers sepia prints and horsehair in coach seating.;) 

An overall view.

107486172_DSCN7045(2).JPG.f847a17d55abfb931a5c744804bd94ae.JPG

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

See what happens when the boys from Swindon do "thinking outside the box" on the new Prairie tank after the Christmas knees-up...

748704606_StrangeExtremeTRAINSLocomotives-PART3.jpeg.0f4bc6f9548bc54a57a37501648fb727.jpeg

Who said that the driving wheels have to be inside the pony and trailing wheels?

At least they remembered the shiny safety valve cover. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Network Rail do concrete quite well, but not character.

Edited by Captain Kernow
A llama.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

So the long lost missing sections of Herr Hitler's Atlantic Wall finally turn up on Dawlish Beach........

That new seawall looks to be a particularly fine example of 21st century "brutalist" construction, but I suppose it is entirely necessary as Mother Nature can be pretty brutal too when the mood takes her.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

See what happens when the boys from Swindon do "thinking outside the box" on the new Prairie tank after the Christmas knees-up...

748704606_StrangeExtremeTRAINSLocomotives-PART3.jpeg.0f4bc6f9548bc54a57a37501648fb727.jpeg

Who said that the driving wheels have to be inside the pony and trailing wheels?

At least they remembered the shiny safety valve cover. 

Hi Spams

I know you are cleverer than me when it comes to GWR matters so can you clear up a nagging question I have about the loco in your wonderful photo, please?

When they came to name the "Out Side Privy" class was the one in the photo "Dad's Office" or "Thunderbox"?  I do get them two mixed up.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2