A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lovely pics at the WSR. That chunky Chimney is a little worrying in comparison to the one on 7310 on my shelf.

P

It is a mogul that never was. The big prairie it was converted from carried with a no 2 boiler instead of the no 4 on the 3150 which the 43XX is a tender version of. In 1910, the drawing office only created eleven extra drawings for the 43XX, everything else was from the 3150 plan. It was an interesting idea by the WSR but based on sound history.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

It is a mogul that never was. The big prairie it was converted from carried with a no 2 boiler instead of the no 4 on the 3150 which the 43XX is a tender version of. In 1910, the drawing office only created eleven extra drawings for the 43XX, everything else was from the 3150 plan. It was an interesting idea by the WSR but based on sound history.

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike

It is a real life "What could have been" or Swindon's version of a BR standard class 3. 

More importantly it is a working steam locomotive in 2020.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Rob, if this is OK? Before they go on Free to a Good Home:

Old Kings Cross  metal Nameplates, Cabplates and FNplate (Black backgrounds) for Isambard Kingdom Brunell 5069.

Bunch of Kings Cross WR Shed Plates: PM me for list.

No offence meant, but also  Modelmaster Plates  and Cab Decals for:

SR (Modified) 34050 Royal Observer Corps (Blue Name Plates)  and 30453 King Arthur (Red Name Plates).  

Few SR Shed Plates (Kings Cross).

Includes postage but with request for a small donation to a Charity of your choice.

Got to get rid.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Rob, if this is OK? Before they go on Free to a Good Home:

Old Kings Cross  metal Nameplates, Cabplates and FNplate (Black backgrounds) for Isambard Kingdom Brunell 5069.

Bunch of Kings Cross WR Shed Plates: PM me for list.

No offence meant, but also  Modelmaster Plates  and Cab Decals for:

SR (Modified) 34050 Royal Observer Corps (Blue Name Plates)  and 30453 King Arthur (Red Name Plates).  

Few SR Shed Plates (Kings Cross).

Includes postage but with request for a small donation to a Charity of your choice.

Got to get rid.

Phil

New book from Transport Treasury re: the OVS that dare to speak its name has just landed in my mail.But please don’t tell anyone but TBG.Now back to the Moguls....:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

It is a real life "What could have been" or Swindon's version of a BR standard class 3. 

More importantly it is a working steam locomotive in 2020.

Its green, got a copper cap, looks the part and nothing like anything BR thought of; therefore gwrish enough!;)

As you mention;  it is a working steam locomotive in 2020.

Brian.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Its green, got a copper cap, looks the part and nothing like anything BR thought of; therefore gwrish enough!;)

As you mention;  it is a working steam locomotive in 2020.

Brian.

Hi Brian

The reference to the BR class 3 was in relation to the boiler, the class 3 tender and tank locos had what was basically a GWR number 2 boiler but with BR bits and bobs added to it.  So as a 2-6-0 it is Swindon's version of the BR 2-6-0. :good:

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Yes , put me down for the NCB version , even though I have no work for her on here. BTW, I had no inclination these were going to be announced.

I won't get a NCB version, but would be really nice looking if it had the red connecting rods!

I'll probably end up repainting an unlined one into a fictitious livery for the 15xx's, either 'GWR' or the transitional 'British Railways' version. Just depends on how much time I want spend working on sanding off the smokebox plate ;)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that they are doing a Z4 as opposed to being a duplicate of the Parkside Z2, though at over £30 for a short wheelbase wagon its going to be a tough one to justify (when you could have 3 parkside kits for the price)

Its probably a good thing that the 15xx were a BR build as I dont think I would have been able to resist something with that much character, even if it never went anywhere near Brent. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2