A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Some time ago possibly in this thread, possibly @checkrail’s thread or maybe even somewhere else, mention was made of some photographs of clerestory corridor coaches which retained their full length bogie footsteps until the late 40s.  While I have now set to work on converting a Hornby clerestory brake to a K17 for my TPO I also sourced a C15 to update/ re-side. So I’m trying (without success) to find the appropriate posts...

Think this might be what you were looking for Rich:

On 08/05/2020 at 20:31, Miss Prism said:

Bogie footboards still in place on 10' bogies after 1930??

To be honest Miss P. I hadn't given the bogies a thought but your post sent me back to Russell.  So I can add to Mike @Coach bogie's recent post.  In Vol 1 and Appendix Vol 1 I found at least 12 post-war photos of clerestory stock still with bogie footboards, inc. one coach in BR days with a 'W' prefix to the number.  Perhaps the best is Appendix, Fig. 282, of a pretty well maintained E69 in brown & cream with the 1942/1943 lettering, marshalled into a main line express in 1949.

Was glad to find these (even though I guess they'd be the exception rather than the rule by that date), as I'm not sure one could carve the footboards off the Hornby bogies all that successfully - They're such an integral part of the moulding. 

John C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, checkrail said:

Think this might be what you were looking for Rich:

On 08/05/2020 at 20:31, Miss Prism said:

Bogie footboards still in place on 10' bogies after 1930??

To be honest Miss P. I hadn't given the bogies a thought but your post sent me back to Russell.  So I can add to Mike @Coach bogie's recent post.  In Vol 1 and Appendix Vol 1 I found at least 12 post-war photos of clerestory stock still with bogie footboards, inc. one coach in BR days with a 'W' prefix to the number.  Perhaps the best is Appendix, Fig. 282, of a pretty well maintained E69 in brown & cream with the 1942/1943 lettering, marshalled into a main line express in 1949.

Was glad to find these (even though I guess they'd be the exception rather than the rule by that date), as I'm not sure one could carve the footboards off the Hornby bogies all that successfully - They're such an integral part of the moulding. 

John C.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was after.  I don't have Volume 1 but do have the appendix, will have a look at Fig 282 in a min.  I dont fancy cutting those boards off a second time having just about finished it on the K17.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I dont fancy cutting those boards off a second time having just about finished it on the K17.

But, as our host Rob here kindly informed me, Shapeways/Stafford Road Works do lovely 3D printed Dean 10 ft bogies without steps, in either a normal or Hornby fit.  Can recommend them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, checkrail said:

But, as our host Rob here kindly informed me, Shapeways/Stafford Road Works do lovely 3D printed Dean 10 ft bogies without steps, in either a normal or Hornby fit.  Can recommend them.

How much layering was present on the finished item? 

I wasnt particullay impressed with the quality of finish on the last bits I had via shapeways due to the amount of sanding needed to get a flat surface.  On a bogie with the spring detail etc that would be more of an issue than the tender oil tank that was pretty much all flat.  Then there is the price (and shapeways extortionate postage rates) meaning with postage for 2 bogies it is coming out at $42 (or the best part of £15 a bogie).  Particularly painful when you consider that a pair of bogies from Comet / MJT / 247 is under half that delivered. 

Its a real shame that the ex Blacksmith parts are not available thanks to Coopercraft, as the design of the Dean bogies is ideally suited to an etch.  

I have started thinking that one solution (if the axle boxes / springs are available) is simply to take a 10ft etched bogie frame from MJT, cut plasticard frames with the silhouette cutter and add castings.  Should be possible at a fraction of the price, in the mean time I will continue filing the Hornby ones (while wishing the 247 frames were without the steps!)...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

How much layering was present on the finished item? 

Here's a close-up of the Shapeways step-less bogie, so you can be the judge.  (Just before Robin starts singing, ' Hey! - you!  - get off o' my thread!') 

1676609944_C16-4(2).jpg.5d7ea90b06edeea3c4764ba5b75dc05a.jpg

John C.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Who gave the chaps in white coats the evening off?

Sort of - the Men In Malachite gave him a nice Malachite Green & Sunshine Yellow Striped robe (though it's slightly smelly, as he's been put in charge of the new Grand Inquisitor's number Two's) ;)  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/12/2020 at 20:18, 2ManySpams said:

Not another Pannier...

Well we all know how much you lurv them Spammerz so just to keep you happy .......

There's another one being "born" :dancer::lol:

237346148_chassisandfootplate.jpg.48dd476c752cbbe9f7e9161c15084574.jpg

A. Friend

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2020 at 22:48, gwrrob said:

The Bachmann 94xx topic is a hot topic at the moment and if anyone wants to read a superb review of the GWR version may I guide you in the direction of the @PMP blog , Albion Yard. Very comprehensive indeed.

https://albionyard.net/

Great review - best engine review i have seen.

Thanks for passing it on. 

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh when i get home.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Apologies for butting in here, but (due to 'a nod to brent' being based in 1947) I garner so much useful information - I almost feel like I should be paying!

What do I need to do to Hornby's 5076 "Drysllwyn Castle" to bring it to 1947 condition, is it as simple as swapping the shirtbutton crest for  G (crest) W, and painting over all the red lining below the footplate, or is the model actually wrong for 1947 condition. I'd love to get my hands on 5075  "Wellington", because it's name after the City I live in, and it's got a Hawksworth tender, but they don't seem to come up often. When I compared the two, the only difference seems to be the aforementioned lining. 

Thanks in advance for any/wall answers!

JP

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Apologies for butting in here, but (due to 'a nod to brent' being based in 1947) I garner so much useful information - I almost feel like I should be paying!

What do I need to do to Hornby's 5076 "Drysllwyn Castle" to bring it to 1947 condition, is it as simple as swapping the shirtbutton crest for  G (crest) W, and painting over all the red lining below the footplate, or is the model actually wrong for 1947 condition. I'd love to get my hands on 5075  "Wellington", because it's name after the City I live in, and it's got a Hawksworth tender, but they don't seem to come up often. When I compared the two, the only difference seems to be the aforementioned lining. 

JP

I think (but could be wrong) that the Drysellwyn name had changed locos by 47

so definitely worth checking.  (I can’t remember which version of the loco Hornby did)

Cylinder and footplate lining really could do with being removed rather than painted over (though I tend to repaint it afterwards). I find the same Microsol treatment I use to remove the tender lettering  works just as well on the lining.   After adding the new transfers I give the whole loco a spray of a semi gloss lacquer which goes some way to improving the tepid green.  (Though I think Drysellwyn was a bit better in this regard)  my recent blog post of King George V shows the end result.

come to think of it I recall Hornby’s Wellington was wrong for all but a short period dec 47-1948. In that it didn’t receive the Hawksworth tender until practically BR days.  So depending on a confirmation from the book of the castles, you may be able to renumber to Wellington.   Certainly changing the number is an easier job than the tender branding 

edit: feb 48 it gained the Hawksworth tender

so far I have done 3 kings, 2 castles, along with pretty much every other decent GWR model out there to get them into 1940s condition 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I think (but could be wrong) that the Drysellwyn name had changed locos by 47

so definitely worth checking.  (I can’t remember which version of the loco Hornby did)

Cylinder and footplate lining really could do with being removed rather than painted over (though I tend to repaint it afterwards). I find the same Microsol treatment I use to remove the tender lettering  works just as well on the lining.   After adding the new transfers I give the whole loco a spray of a semi gloss lacquer which goes some way to improving the tepid green.  (Though I think Drysellwyn was a bit better in this regard)  my recent blog post of King George V shows the end result.

come to think of it I recall Hornby’s Wellington was wrong for all but a short period dec 47-1948. In that it didn’t receive the Hawksworth tender until practically BR days.  So depending on a confirmation from the book of the castles, you may be able to renumber to Wellington.   Certainly changing the number is an easier job than the tender branding 

edit: feb 48 it gained the Hawksworth tender

so far I have done 3 kings, 2 castles, along with pretty much every other decent GWR model out there to get them into 1940s condition 

I'll add that you have to be really careful with Drysellwyn Castle donor, as I don't think the factory that assembled them for Hornby used any glue, so a drop cloth is a must when you take them out of the box, as there's bound to be a few loose parts in the packaging.

Wellington is only suitable for one other loco of the batch in post war GWR livery: Fairy Battle.

And I've lost track of how many loco's I've brought forward from Shirtbutton to Post War :O 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Jack P said:

JP

Good Choice Jack, 5076 didn't retain its name for too long as it (like Wellington) was renamed after WW2 bombers, it was named Gladiator.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks so much for the helpful advice lads, and to Robin for facilitating the discussion on his thread.

On 11/12/2020 at 22:45, The Fatadder said:

Indeed you have, I was searching for kitbuilds/scratchbuilds of Hawksworth counties when I stumbled upon your blog, all very inspirational!

On 11/12/2020 at 23:22, Clearwater said:

5076 was renamed in 1941 to Gladiator.

Thank you, I've decided to use 5076 as a donor, I do quite like the name gladiator though!

22 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I don't think the factory that assembled them for Hornby used any glue, so a drop cloth is a must when you take them out of the box, as there's bound to be a few loose parts in the packaging.

I've done battle with a fair few Southern Locos that are also missing a fair amount of glue. I appreciate the heads up and will take care!

Another question if you all don't mind, as you're far more knowledgeable than me, is there any record of specific Castles that commonly strayed onto southern territory in 1947?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Further to my post last weekend on adding a load to my Bachmann 3 plank I can heartily recommend the resin bits offered by Redog. Washed and given a coat of Halfords primer they are ready to take either enamel or acrylic paint. They make something different for wagon loads.

https://redog.uk/collections/1-72-cargo/products/redog-1-72-resin-modelling-military-accessories-vehicle-diorama-cargo-kit-c4?variant=23111784628305

Very good value and the postage is good too.

s-l1600_e78abf7f-62b0-4875-bccd-567b0cd23b98.jpg.c25dd8a5bb67e4b45af248ad00167959.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2020 at 10:57, gwrrob said:

No coal or crew as yet , especially noticeable with that Churchward cab but I thought you might like to see some mogul action and here she is on a down stopping train. It really is a photogenic model and I'm very pleased with it. All credit is due to Dapol. More anon.

1800077747_DSCN7332(2).JPG.5cb7e1e88cf3eb81269522e157add426.JPG2106940696_DSCN7333(2).JPG.400804104fda0f646a39cf2d2533b2fe.JPG821805257_DSCN7334(2).JPG.a13879cb651130306e59c9e2cf0400d1.JPG630480802_DSCN7335(2).JPG.3be30f99a1e093ca9f838c9fa3d2b241.JPG

Seeing how nicely weathered and at home the mogul looks on Stoke Courtenay I couldn't resist shewing the current state of my tender by @toboldlygo. On receiving this it will be handed to SWMBO to be wrapped so we won't see the model on the layout till Xmas week.

29343074_5391_04.jpg.b9cd04f273fa1cc35548582ba11051c1(4).jpg.8ff6c719704ea74f7a2a35c03403ef50.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seeing how nicely weathered and at home the mogul looks on Stoke Courtenay I couldn't resist shewing the current state of my tender by @toboldlygo. On receiving this it will be handed to SWMBO to be wrapped so we won't see the model on the layout till Xmas week.

29343074_5391_04.jpg.b9cd04f273fa1cc35548582ba11051c1(4).jpg.8ff6c719704ea74f7a2a35c03403ef50.jpg

Here's a better picture ;) 

5391_rhfan_tender.jpg.8a1429d9f20ebe7238e6b4c01ccf652e.jpg

Oops a real spoiler :D 

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2